IGNORED

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowsers Minions

deKay

I loved it, but after 20+ hours trying to beat the final boss (including one single 3 hour fight during which my batteries died), I never could and gave up :(

"In the last moments of the finale of the finale, when relief leads to negligence that begets rashness... That is when the comeback that faltered comes back and beats your pathetic comeback that I scoff at!"

piq_49010_400x400.png.1aa35514e5861c677cc7af6dfce247a8.png

• 3 months later...

Quite a bit, yeah. Shame. There's an illustrative quality that's been lost with these new character models. The excellent animation was an important part of the humour in the original, so we'll see. I'm sure it'll be a good game in its own right. Its aesthetic is really nice and almost looks like small stopmotion sets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else playing this? I love the Mario & Luigi series, even the slightly shitty ones, so it’s nice to have another one to play through. I’ve been meaning to revisit Superstar Saga for a while now, but playing it on the 3DS hardware with instant standby makes for a far better experience.

It’s true that the graphics have lost some of the charm from the original, but it plays a lot smoother, and in most cases it just looks different, not worse. Not much else to say really, other than I still love the battle system these games have, one of my favourites in an RPG. There aren’t many other RPGs that give me as much pleasure when confronted with an area full of bad guys.  It’s also nice to play without any of the gimmicks introduced in the sequels.

I'm not that far into it and it's still as fun to play as before. I'd been slowly making my way through the original on WiiU and this games just looks busier in comparison which matches the latest M&L games. it's also a lot more generous with battle rewards, I easily got more than the number of coins required with enemies to spare in the first area whereas in the original I had to battle enemies again after they'd reappeared to make the total required. I've played this game on GameBoy Player back when it was released, on GameBoy Micro back in 2008 and the WiiU this year and still haven't beaten it and I'm determined to do it this time no matter how long it takes.