IGNORED

Shadow of the colossus HD remake

sid

I'm wondering if they'll add anything, like maybe finishing that Dam that was left over in the original games code.

Or if not, might they get the chance to design their own Colossi?  Not just copying/adapting the design of the original game, but showing their own take on it.

38 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Nah, it looks nothing like a UE mock up. Behave!

SotC is an incredible, timeless game held back by some pretty irritating controls - even in the remastered versions. If bluepoint can tweak those, this could be sensational.

Maybe they could do a patch for The Last Guardian while they're at it too? Another Team Ico game that was great due to the world and atmosphere it created but hampered by bad controls and an annoying camera.

4 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I'm wondering if they'll add anything, like maybe finishing that Dam that was left over in the original games code.

Or if not, might they get the chance to design their own Colossi?  Not just copying/adapting the design of the original game, but showing their own take on it.

I think hoping for anything more than a graphically brushed up port will leave you disappointed.

As I mentioned in the other thread (thread merge, mods?), SotC is one of my all time favourite games, if not my favourite game full stop. The atmosphere and lingering sense of isolation and loneliness that encompasses the whole thing is very special.

Playing it twelve years on (unless new stuff is added), I wouldn't be surprised if newcomers found it quite bare, as apart from killing the colossi there really isn't much else to do (except just being amazed at it all) and the game is rather linear in that respect. Also, after the likes of The Witcher III and all the other massive open world games we've had in the interim, the game world here may well seem a tad small when originally it always seemed so unbelievably vast, so it'll be interesting to see if Bluepoint do anything to compensate for that. Part of me wants them to just leave it completely alone, though, except for updating the graphics and camera.

Still, this was a very nice surprise.

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

like maybe finishing that Dam that was left over in the original games code.

That's ringing a bell. Was that explorable in the game? It's a long long time since I completed the game (although I've taken down a colossi or two in the HD re-master) but that resonates, like I'm thinking I remember traversing it and hoping there was more going to come from it. Or during the intervening years I may have watched a video. Unsure.

1 hour ago, amc said:

That's ringing a bell. Was that explorable in the game? It's a long long time since I completed the game (although I've taken down a colossi or two in the HD re-master) but that resonates, like I'm thinking I remember traversing it and hoping there was more going to come from it. Or during the intervening years I may have watched a video. Unsure.

There were some videos showing that it could be reached in the PS2 version by using cheat devices, but couldn't actually be interracted with as there was no collision detection.

I don't remember if they left in the PS3 HD version, though that doesn't seem likely.  Just like with this remake, if they're not going to use it in the game in any way, there wouldn't seem to be any point of going to the trouble of remaking the assets.

• 3 weeks later...

I replayed the PS3 versions of ICO and SotC after I finished the last guardian. Graphical updates don't really excite me but they could do with smoothing out the transitions between the different behaviour states of some of the colossi and the music changes that go along with them. It's a bit janky.

• 3 months later...

Is it gonna be normal PS4 too, or just Pro? Looks as good as I was hoping, been wanting to replay this for years. Wonder how the framerate will hold up, I remember it being pretty crap on PS3 or PS2 or whatever it was. And I hope they fixed some of the controls/camera too.

3 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Looks great but I wish Bluepoint were using all that talent to make something new.

Well, they’ve been a tech team for a good while now and it takes a bit of hiring and experience to scale up to a fully fledged studio. 

This may well be a stepping stone.

23 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Looks great but I wish Bluepoint were using all that talent to make something new.

Be careful what you wish for. This is what everyone said about Ready At Dawn as well and that brought forth The Order: 1886.

I'd rather have them pick up titles that are a bit in need of a remaster though. I mean, I love SotC, but we now have a PS2, PS3 and an upcoming remastered PS4 version. This is getting to Nintendo/VC levels of ridiculousness.

Why not remake Colony Wars, Ape Escape or Legend of Dragoon instead?

30 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Be careful what you wish for. This is what everyone said about Ready At Dawn as well and that brought forth The Order: 1886.

I'd rather have them pick up titles that are a bit in need of a remaster though. I mean, I love SotC, but we now have a PS2, PS3 and an upcoming remastered PS4 version. This is getting to Nintendo/VC levels of ridiculousness.

Why not remake Colony Wars, Ape Escape or Legend of Dragoon instead?

I don't disagree with your other points, but the bolded bit made me laugh as I'm one of the few people who really loved The Order!

18 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I don't disagree with your other points, but the bolded bit made me laugh as I'm one of the few people who really loved The Order!

Heh, it is probably a good game in its own right, but the muted reception did tarnish the rising star of RAD and made Sony drop them awkwardly fast. Their VR game Lone Echo is supposedly awesome, though I do wonder if anyone ever played it...

11 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Bit harsh. At least RAD developed their own (critically acclaimed) games prior to The Order. Bluepoint are 'just' doing remakes and technical tweaks.

I do agree on your second point though, almost seems like it's the same games being remastered over and over. 

Would rather have seen  Bluepoint work on Demon's Souls HD because From themselves can't be arsed, and - as has been said - SotC was HD-ified and re-released already. There are so many great PS2 and PS3 games that have never been re-released, do one of those instead of the one game over again