IGNORED

Shadow of the colossus HD remake

sid

16 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Last Guardian is the game that needs the biggest overhaul. One day they'll build something powerful enough to run it at a decent framerate.

Runs fine on a Pro at a rock solid 30fps if you force it to 1080p (personally I don't mind the odd drop in 4K HDR.)

3 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

The Last Guardian wouldn't be worth the effort even if it was HDR, 60fps, 4K and it massaged your feet while you played it.

Man, this must be the most wrong thing ever written on this forum, and that's saying something when Rev Stu used to post about physics here.

Last Guardian was a masterpiece, and from my perspective easily the best of the three. It was one of the few games I've played that roused emotions that aren't anger, frustration, or fear - I felt genuinely connected to my hairy pal at the end.

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

WHAT??

I sometimes feel like there must have been a different game on my disc cos I think it's the best Team Ico game of the three.

2 hours ago, K said:

Last Guardian was a masterpiece, and from my perspective easily the best of the three. It was one of the few games I've played that roused emotions that aren't anger, frustration, or fear - I felt genuinely connected to my hairy pal at the end.

31 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yes, TLG is easily one of the highlights of this gen and the best PS4 game after Bloodborne for me.

This thing I wrote in the TLG thread just after finishing it explains why you are wrong:

Spoiler

I finished it today too, watched the brilliant ending, then stuck it straight on Ebay.

Everything about it is great except for when you have to pick up the pad and play. Take Trico - he's an amazing creature and I quickly formed a real emotional attachment to him, but as a tool for solving puzzles he is a total failure, sometimes doing what you want, sometimes not. Today I spent 20 minutes unable to progress because he didn't want to jump a particular gap, which I assumed was because it was too far and I needed to flip a some switch or other, but after looking everywhere it turned out he was just being awkward and could jump it after all. How is that fun?

Every few minutes something wouldn't work properly and annoy me; the kid wouldn't grab hold of a ladder from the water; I'd press forward to move him towards Trico's head and he'd crawl the other way (towards the camera) instead; I'd press jump to leap from Trico's back and nothing would happen; the 'sidle along a ledge' animation wouldn't trigger and I'd fall to my death; Trico wouldn't eat a barrel that was placed right in front of his beak/mouth.

Ultimately, it's a puzzle patformer with horrible wooly controls and where you are forced to rely on a massive feathered idiot to solve most of the puzzles.

Never experienced any of that. If anything, the big feller felt like he was sometimes a bit too quick to do what I wanted to the extent that some bits felt like I was just triggering a scripted setpiece rather than getting an AI to do a particular thing. And anyway, woolly controls are hardly limited to the Last Guardian, Ico and SotC are woolier than Andrew Neill's toupee.

3 hours ago, Trumpets said:

This thing I wrote in the TLG thread just after finishing it explains why you are wrong:

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

There were common AI bugs. [...]

4 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

No. I'm a team Ico fanboy and it pissed me off to the point I just sent the game back to Amazon. 

Nah, total bollocks - the AI was solidly cantankerous, in a good way, just like every cat-dog-bird-gryphon hybrid I've ever interacted with.

Seriously, Trico was a pussycat - bounding ahead to help me out more often than not; I thought it was spot-on.

It's the Wrongy McWrongface trio, here. Although it seems to me that @grindmouse is getting a bit of a reputation for being contrarian in the threads I visit.

I loved the game but it is true that there were a few buggy bits, although only 2 on the back to back playthroughs I played. Luckily, however, the checkpointing was generous and a quick save reload was enough  to sort out any hiccups. It certainly wasn't enough of an issue to distract from the brilliant experience overall.

Shadow of the Colossus is in my top 10, Ico close behind. Have completed them nearly ten times each. Both recently on PS2, think they still hold up beautifully. Love the controls, love the feel, love the mechanics. Love them love them love them.

The Last Guardian had some great moments, but is easily one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. I fell out of the shit technical issues tree and hit every branch on the way down. Graphical glitches, a hard crash, forced restart due to something not spawning right, a nasty physics glitch with a barrel, voice over dialogue and subtitles from previous cutscenes persisting in normal gameplay for over an hour. All with Trico being quite fiddly in general. That bit where he needs to go underwater? One hour it took, with a restart or two thrown in as well.

As a result the whole final hour or two fell completely flat for me in terms of spectacle and emotion, due to how frustrated I was.

Huge shame for me personally.

3 hours ago, smac said:

Chill, bro; your opinions are fine by me, really.

Just a pity your experience wasn't a positive one. I loved the game. Maybe I just didn't encounter the same problems.

Yeah, a massive shame. I was more excited about it than I was for Zelda and Mario :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this got posted elsewhere on the forum, but it's looking pretty nice to be fair.. 

Framerate a little shonky though.. Keeping true to the original? Haha.  EDIT - Perhaps it was just my phone! It looks great again now!

Breath of the Colossus.

I have to be honest, when something as fundamental as the colour palette changes, that's no longer really a faithful remake. So much of the feel of the original environments are locked into those hues, I'm not sure the PS3 remaster might not remain the definitive release.