IGNORED

Shadow of the colossus HD remake

sid

Yeah, that colour scheme looked off in the preview image. Looked a little better palette when the preview started. A little too sunny and sharp, maybe. The glowing targets looked all wrong - too bright, didn't fade in as the sword approached, etc.

But sure, amazing work; especially noticable on the rocks as you ride past.

I think it will be a combination of a staggering achievement and very much worth playing while at the same time not being the definitive version. What I'd really like to see is to have the original available to switch to al la Monkey Island or Halo remakes.

It looks a bit too clean and smooth compared to the original art style. A lot of that style comes from PS2-era fuzziness admittedly, which your always going to struggle to recreate at 1080P but it still looks a bit weird and uncanny, and not in a fairytale way - more an early CGI way. The protagonist looks like a pre-rendered character from a videogame cutscene from around 1999. 

The Last Guardian showed how you could take that art style and update it for the current gen without losing the original feel. 

It looks very 'Unreal tech demo' - just filling the environments with as much technically impressive stuff as possible with zero feel for art direction or a coherent visual style.

There's probably a way to translate the original art style and feel to a more modern/technically advanced engine, but this is definitely not it. It just makes you wonder whether they should in the first place, maybe a HD rerelease was enough.

15 hours ago, Benny said:

Breath of the Colossus.

I have to be honest, when something as fundamental as the colour palette changes, that's no longer really a faithful remake. So much of the feel of the original environments are locked into those hues, I'm not sure the PS3 remaster might not remain the definitive release.

Are you basing that off the thumbnail though because that isn't an accurate representation at all? I remember someone else moaning about the way they altered the thumbnail in the comments of the video when I saw this vid a couple of days ago. 

That's pretty much what I said in my earlier post - the preview image was all kinds of wrong, but the in-game footage looked better than that.

Most of my criticism is minor look and feel stuff. Just a little sharper and a little less mystical.

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

Are you basing that off the thumbnail though because that isn't an accurate representation at all? I remember someone else moaning about the way they altered the thumbnail in the comments of the video when I saw this vid a couple of days ago. 

No I mean in the video. The colour balance and shading is a bit off.

In that comparision segment, I think the dust and myst effects etc look better on the PS3 HD version than in this new one. I'm not saying all of the particle effects, just those moody atmospheric ones (the important ones). They're more opaque, and probably a little less realistic, more stylised, definite and cartoony on PS3 HD, whereas with the new one, the plumes fizzle thinly into the air without much dramatic presence.

I'll be a little sad if the approach to the bird colossus around that swamp is all pristene sharp and clear, rather than the murky ambiguous haze of the earlier versions:

I only played SotC for the first time last year, via a PS Plus trial, and the above environment struck me as one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen in gaming, despite mostly being a desaturated, murky and ambiguous fog. There was such minimal tonal range, making the contrasts between light and shade really subtle. In these HDR times, I somehow don't see them being able to, or even being interested in maintaining that.

Graphics and environment aside, I really loved the music as you approach that particular fight. The whole section was just amazingly atmospheric. Interested to try it all souped-up on PS4, just don't hold out much hope of it recapturing the magic that I personally felt while playing that bit. I think it was probably my favourite part of the game, and mostly for certain intangible reasons. Sometimes that's the beauty of what Ueda does, certainly for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

18 months after buying it from the Trading forum, I’ve finally started this. It looks incredible.

It’s also made me really sad that we’ll probably not see another Fumito Ueda game for ages, if ever. 

Enjoy! Its one of the most captivating, beautiful and frustrating experiences you'll have... Bought this back in the PS2 days and completed it on the PS4 earlier this year!

(Frame rate was horrendous on the PS2!)

I’m probably misremembering, given it was 15 years ago, but I seem to remember having to ride around in a field fighting someone with my bow and arrow and I couldn’t for the life of me do it. I don’t know why but I seem to remember them also being on horseback but it sounds like that doesn’t happen. 

• 1 month later...

I finished the SOTC remake today. It was my first experience of a Ueda game having had Ico and this pass me by for some reason first time round. However the legacy of them is hard to ignore and they have been firmly on my "must play" list for many years.

Overall the scale, scope, atmosphere and majesty of the game really struck me. The loneliness of Wander's journey through the epic landscape and environments is stunning, and the enigmatic story I liked. In fact in many ways it felt a bit like when I played 'Journey'. The overall concept is - literally - awesome too, the core idea of your enemy/level/puzzle all being the same gigantic thing is brilliant, and on the whole I think offers some good variety across the 16 of them.  Bluepoint too have done a cracking job of making the remake look absolutely phenomenal.

However despite all this, I found the controls (and some mechanics) massively wanting in places. I'm assuming it's a 'faithful' reproduction of some of the original feel (I certainly hope that is what they were going for), but for a traversal game with significant horse riding, the traversal and horse riding systems were really pretty sketchy in places. I won't go into massive detail unless people are interested as I think it'll come across as an unfair rant, but I experienced several things that just felt broken to me, and I can honestly say that in places I haven't been as close to launching my control pad through my TV in years. Perhaps it is just that I really rail against any feeling of a difficulty curve being tied to bad control systems.

But... all that said... It is a masterpiece, a flawed one, but a masterpiece. 

I am massively glad to have finally been able to experience and enjoy what is undoubtedly one of the video game design high-water marks, and I expect had I played it nearly 15 years ago I would have absolutely blown away by it and can understand the loyal following it enjoys.

Will I be rushing back to play it through again, probably not. Will I be telling other people who haven't played it to give it a try, absolutely!