IGNORED

Shadow of the colossus HD remake

sid

When I first played the Bluepoint remake of SOTC I found the controls to be impossible to get to grips with - that was because they had swapped all the buttons around from the original, and when I swapped them back it all clicked once again. That was probably because I already had an ingrained memory of what each button should do, but I wonder if people that have never played it before would also get on better after switching the controls back.

What I love about TLG is that a lot of its issues can be blamed on a big dumb animal that feels real. Is it annoying? Yeah, in places mind numbingly so. But the game had gotten me so under its spell that I was sitting there going “Fucking hell come on Trico, mate”, rather than losing it at the game itself. 

it’s a beautiful, frustrating, wonderful thing and is easily in my top 3 of this gen. 

• 8 months later...

I’ve been minesweeping some of my nearly-finished games recently and this was next - seems I put it down 3 colossi from the end, whoops. 

The final colossus was much harder than I remember - and a lot more frustrating. But the whole battle and finale was just as striking and emotional. 

Still a great game after all these years, even with the very naughty camera. 

• 1 month later...

Playing this version for the second time now and it really is wonderful. Just felled the fifth colossus. The scenery, music and atmosphere are just phenomenal. Very probably my favourite game ever. So looking forward to whatever Fumito Ueda is working on now.

I completed the remake a couple of nights ago. It's such a perfect revamp. Niggles with the camera and controls still exist but it's such a phenomenal game that such minor quibbles barely matter. That last Colossus though nnngggg.

I ciuodnt get on with the new control scheme at all. Everything fell into place when I switched back to original controls.

I played the PS3 version recently too and it's leagues ahead of that. 

Maybe I'll actually finish all the time attacks this time.

It's funny, I bought this on PS2 many years ago. I hadn't played Ico, but the coverage in Edge (I still have the issue) made Shadow look amazing. Bought it on launch day, felled two and thought hmmmm...I don't get it. Find boss, find weakspot, kill boss. Is that it? Nope, not for me. 

Didn't go back until the PS3 remaster where I played Ico for the first time which I loved. I then moved on to Shadow and it was my most involving, immersive and emotional experience with a videogame and the ending sequence simply astounded me. The music alone makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

This remake is astonishingly good. I just wish there was an accompanying Ico.