Football Thread 2017/18

Plissken

The Phil Neville thing- how is not yet absolutely standard practice for any high profile appointment to check through any public social media accounts for dubious content? You would think "hasn't said enormously offensive things, especially any that specifically pertain to the job in question" would be a basic requisite, or that at least it would be pro-actively sanitised if morals aren't so important.

OTOH, I have to say the outcry over his suitability, beyond the hilariously outdated views, is a bit overdone. Apparently the entire shortlist turned it down, and the caretaker manager decided they didn't want it either, so I'd say it's somewhat reasonable to start looking at less well qualified candidates. Sure, Neville has no direct management experience, but he does have experience coaching at the top level and obviously also of (highly successful) playing at the same. I think the Giggs appointment for Wales is a far worse choice.

On the outcry at his appointment, I take the (seemingly old fashioned view these days) that it kind of helps if the person appointed to the role applies for it in the first place.

Not that this is Nevilles fault, but with the growth of the womens game, it also isn't a good look that the FA tweeted the announcement out via the mens team account and not the womens.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

On the outcry at his appointment, I take the (seemingly old fashioned view these days) that it kind of helps if the person appointed to the role applies for it in the first place.

In general, sure, but after at least 4 people (apparently) turned it down, isn't it reasonable that the FA start asking people they think might be suitable? Is there any suggestion that anyone suitable applied and was ignored or turned down in favour of Neville? It seems to be the case that it's not a particularly desirable job, or at least relative to the downsides that PN is busy discovering.

Nations League draw:

League A

Group 1: Netherlands, France, Germany

Group 2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium

Group 3: Poland, Italy, Portugal

Group 4: Croatia, England, Spain

League B

Group 1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia

Group 2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia

Group 3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia & Herzogovina, Austria

Group 4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales

League C

Group 1: Israel, Albania, Scotland

Group 2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary 

Group 3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia 

Group 4: Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia, Romania

League D

Group 1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia

Group 2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus

Group 3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan

Group 4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia

2 hours ago, hmm said:

In general, sure, but after at least 4 people (apparently) turned it down, isn't it reasonable that the FA start asking people they think might be suitable? Is there any suggestion that anyone suitable applied and was ignored or turned down in favour of Neville? It seems to be the case that it's not a particularly desirable job, or at least relative to the downsides that PN is busy discovering.

Also tbh the level of football/popularity is probably similar to League 2/non-league (i know its not directly comparable but I think its pretty true). Would there be an outcry if Neville got a job at a club down there? Theres no point in pretending its at all comparable to getting a men's national or premiership manager job as it just isn't.

20 minutes ago, spork said:

So between September and November England will play against Croatia and Spain twice. While maybe fractionally more interesting than international friendlies, it's quite hard to get excited about this isn't it?

Pretty much. At the top end, I reckon it'll be treated in the same way things like the International Champions Cup tournaments are - a friendly in all but name. The carrot of Euro 2020 qualification is meaningless to most of the top league because they'll expect to be there anyway, and the few that can't guarantee that can rest easy that they'll coast into a playoff featuring weaker teams from League B in any case. The tournament itself has no prestige, and its future will probably be decided on how the first couple of editions go.

At the other end, it's a different story - competitive football for the weakest nations where they have something to aim for is a good thing, and doesn't come at the expense of their guaranteed games against a top seed every campaign. 

18 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Also tbh the level of football/popularity is probably similar to League 2/non-league (i know its not directly comparable but I think its pretty true). Would there be an outcry if Neville got a job at a club down there? Theres no point in pretending its at all comparable to getting a men's national or premiership manager job as it just isn't.

I can see what you're saying in that an eyelid wouldn't be batted if he turned up at Crawley Town, but the main issue I take with it is that if that's the FA's line of thought, then they're basically saying that in their eyes the women's game is no more important than the bottom rung of professional men's football. That's no way for a sport's governing body to behave. The fans, media, players, they can all believe that. The FA are to be held to a higher standard.

4 hours ago, dizogg said:

That's not actually honest is it.

League 1 and 2?

I happened to pop along to a League 1 game last weekend and there were 11,500 people there. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/nov/07/fa-wsl-attendances-continue-to-rise-2016

The FA Women’s Super League (FA WSL) continues to grow in popularity as attendances increased across both divisions in 2016.

In FA WSL 1, the average attendance was 1,128 – up five per cent on 2015 (1,076).

A new league record for home ground attendance was set in September when 4,096 supporters watched Manchester City secure the title against Chelsea at the Academy Stadium.

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/

That average attendance is up there with Scarborough Athletic.

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

That's not actually honest is it.

League 1 and 2?

I happened to pop along to a League 1 game last weekend and there were 11,500 people there. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/nov/07/fa-wsl-attendances-continue-to-rise-2016

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/

That average attendance is up there with Scarborough Athletic.

Sorry what point are you making? 

1 minute ago, dizogg said:

Sorry what point are you making? 

That stating League 1 and 2 isn't "high profile" isn't true. 

It's not the job or the team that is high profile in this case either, Phil Neville is a household name. That's why someone went sifting through his Twitter history. I'd rather they got a woman to manage the womens team to be frank.