Football Thread 2017/18

Plissken

28 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Steve McMananaman:  "The away fans are applauding an opposition player.  I've never seen or heard of that before."

Old Trafford, 2003, the United fans applauding off Fat Ronaldo after he was an unstoppable force on his way to a hattrick.  I'm surprised you don't remember it Steve, because you bloody played in the match.

Aren't they at the Allianz? So it'd be the home fans applauding the opposition?

48 minutes ago, wev said:

I meant McMannamans comment, Real were the away team, right?

He just meant the opposition fans.

He got a load of abuse from our fans last season when he accused Plymouth Argyle, a then League 2 side, of "parking the bus" at Anfield in the FA Cup. Obviously, as a League 2 side taking on a team at their own ground who were going to end up in the top four of the top flight, we should have gone 4-2-4 and attacked them from the kick off!

Naturally, in round 4, Wolves didn't park the bus and beat them comfortably :)

I loved his commentary on Football Italia - I was a little bit too young to appreciate his playing career. 

Ray Wilkins "You couldn't have caught him on a 350 Honda"

61 for a man who would have been physically in shape is really sad. What a shame.

5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

He certainly had his demons, but also seemed to be a guy who commanded a lot of respect from his fellow professionals.  Decent list of former clubs too, can't be many players who appeared for Chelsea, Man Utd, AC Milan and PSG. 

And even fewer who could play for Chelsea, Man U and QPR and command total respect from the fans of all 3.

Liverpool 3-0 up at half time against Man City. The first was offside but City deserve to be 3-0 down as they've been absolutely shocking. The back 3 or 4 or 5 (I'm not sure where any of them should be actually playing at the back are dreadful). Kompany is gone, he's so ponderous and clumsy, La Porte is trying to man mark Salah by the look of it but doesn't seem to know which one is Salah and is floating about. Walker is playing on the wing and Otamendi looks like he's playing on the wrong side. Man City have no actual striker on the pitch either. It's a weird performance from Man City and reminds me a bit of the game against Wigan recently where they gave the ball away too much and look dodgy and vulnerable at the back. Liverpool have been quite good though.

Nope.  He'd have won it 1-0.  Two at the most.  Dyche doesn't do goals.

Klopp does seem to have Peps number.  That City defence isn't all that when it comes to the job of defending (Walker and Stones are overrated and Kompany is past it) so if you can get at them early, they do seem to be unable to dig themselves out of a hole.