Football Thread 2017/18

7 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

It's a boring league isn't it?  Celtic really only have to do the bare minimum to win and they often do, but then the competition is feeble. None of the clubs in the Scottish Premiership can compete with the Premier League for wages, a lot of them lose players to Championship Clubs too. Celtic have at least double the budget of Rangers and Rangers probably have double the budget of everybody else.  I think once you move outside of Edinburgh and Aberdeen then clubs are paying their players £50k a year. They are literally there to make the numbers up. I'm very much an outsider, weirdly I work with a family of Rangers season ticket holders (this is in Birmingham btw) and even they don't give a shit any more. Whenever Celtic hump Rangers it's a non issue because there isn't much Rangers can do about it, presumably from the Celtic side of the divide there isn't much pleasure to be had in taking candy from a baby either. Yes, they will get the 10 in a row and it will probably extend to 15 or more before Rangers come back but the record books will always have an asterisk next to them, right? 

It’s not been a league since the very clubs who would benefit had the vote to put Rangers down to the bottom league. 

Celtic were guaranteed 1st place and the champions league money by default and the rest had an slightly easier task of fighting for second place and Europe. 

All that has happened is that Scottish football is now a backwater with mediocre players including the Celtic squad. 

The teams under Tommy Burns and Martin O’Neill were vastly superior to the current Celtic squad in my opinion. 

Didn't want to believe it until I'd heard something official. Although it sounds extremely serious, at least the surgery has apparently gone well. Here's hoping for the best, Sir Alex and Cathy deserve a good long retirement together after everything he gave for Manchester United.

6 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Its also been interesting to see how people reacted to us.  Liverpool fans, for some reason, were always really good to us, even in defeat. 

Probably because it was like the LFC retirement village; Crouchy, wee Joe, Chaz, GlenJo, Pennant, Matteo, Berger, Assaidi... 

All the old Liverpool legends. Also that prick Owen. 

Losing Jonathan Walters was a major blow, reckon he could have done a good amount to stop relegation. 

Will be interesting to see who stays with them now they've been relegated. I assume Butland and Shaqiri are the most likely to leave. And reckon Allen will have plenty of options too - dae it Klopp, bring him back! Before Brendan brings him to Celtic. 

1 hour ago, bigjb said:

It’s not been a league since the very clubs who would benefit had the vote to put Rangers down to the bottom league. 

Celtic were guaranteed 1st place and the champions league money by default and the rest had an slightly easier task of fighting for second place and Europe. 

All that has happened is that Scottish football is now a backwater with mediocre players including the Celtic squad. 

The teams under Tommy Burns and Martin O’Neill were vastly superior to the current Celtic squad in my opinion. 

Rangers were a new club so of course they shouldn’t have jumped straight into the Premiership. 

And if you believe that they're actually the same club of old, then surely they needed to be punished for their financial irregularities anyway. 

There was no other option. 

In any case, Scottish football had a mini renaissance in the last few years with teams like St Johnstone and ICT winning trophies. It was refreshing. 

As a West Brom fan, the fact we are anywhere near a sniff at staying up is mind boggling.  The fact the run in has included Liverpool, Utd and Spurs makes it even crazier.  

I think a lot of fans had come to terms with being relegated, getting things setup for not immediately going down a second time.  Instead Big Dave has come in, played players in the correct positions and the impossible is looking....significantly less impossible anyway.  Interestingly this has come with Barry and Evans being injured/not playing.

I still think we are down but having Stoke relegated before us is nuts.  Plus going down but not being short on confidence at least makes thing slightly more rosey for next season (though half the squad will probably go).

18 hours ago, Gotters said:

excellent, thats the end for Stoke

all I need to make the day complete is a shot of Shawcross in tears at the end and loads of upset scummy fans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS053F1BRg5XT-mGZZcltW

It has been a shit season for Arsenal so I suppose, you need to find some solace from somewhere.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Either way, Pardew should be embarrassed. 

Asked my albion mate about Big Dave last night and he said he’d keep him on either way. 

I would have preferred Pulis to be kept on till the end of the season.  I think we would have stayed up, even if his football was garbage and his relationship with fans was toxic.  Then fresh start in the summer with our new director of football bringing in his own people.  I'll tell you one thing, I don't think Pulis would have taken the squad on that Spain trip.  If he did, I can absolutely guarantee the taxi four would never have played for the club again.  They'd be straight with the youngsters, even if one was Evans.

Big Dave is being kept on one way or another.  He might go back to being a coach, but there is no way he's leaving.  He's done great, but again I think fresh start is needed and I'm not sure how he would hold up over a Championship season.  Would not surprise me if they already have someone in place ready to go after the season ends.

Maybe ask Mendes if he knows any other Portuguese managers, last one did a passable job I suppose ;)  I remember someone at the pub coming in after watching Wolves pre-season.  Said it was the best football he had seen in decades.  We all brushed it off, it was only a pre-season friendly.  How wrong we were.  I am happy you've got the best of the Midlands Chinese owners group.  Fosun had a plan, they had the cash as well but pretty much everything they have touched has turned to old gold.  Plus when I've seen them they haven't played Pulis ball, they done it properly.  Nuno in his interviews with the local paper has seemed to be nothing but a class act as well.

Now excuse me, I'm contractually obliged to rinse my mouth out with bleach after those compliments.

Watching In The Wolf Pack on Sky Sports - behind the scenes at Molineux following our success.

It's impossible not to feel incredibly proud and excited about what the future holds at Wolves. Everything is set up perfectly behind the scenes to make this club great once again. The owners, the board, the coach, the staff - it's light years away from the doldrums we've had to put up with for so long.

I'll be attending the victory parade tomorrow in the sunshine. I can't wait.

4 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Either way, Pardew should be embarrassed. 

Asked my albion mate about Big Dave last night and he said he’d keep him on either way. 

Indeed.

I'm hoping Ubisoft release Assassins Creed West Bromwich edition, where you first take out any fans who agreed with the appointment, working your way up to board members, and final complete the game by assassinating Parsnip himself.

I still think it's too much of a long shot but Big Dave has staved off the embarrassment of being the worst Premier League team ever, and hopefully given himself a shot at bringing us back up.

22 minutes ago, I say said:

I'm hoping Ubisoft release Assassins Creed West Bromwich edition, where you first take out any fans who agreed with the appointment, working your way up to board members, and final complete the game by assassinating Parsnip himself.

Need to be more like Hitman.  Place a hand held mirror on a balcony that mysteriously happens to crumble.  Preferably next to a note that says “Are you shitting yourself?” as you walk out disguised as Sam Field.

Any lingering hope Napoli had of winning Serie A ended tonight with a 2-2 draw at home to Torino. They’re now six points behind Juve, with the Turin club having a far superior goal difference.

took a while to get a classico stream, missed the goals, all I've seen is Bale take out Iniesta, Ramos take out Suarez, Messi immediately take out Ramos in revenge, Bale take out Umtiti. All yellows or warnings. all in the space of a few minutes. 

now...a red...for Roberto. Marcelo slightly touched his shoulder and he threw a tame punch back. 45 minutes for Barcelona to retain their invincibility with 10 men. 

...class cross and finish for Barcelona's goal.

This Classico game was getting quite feisty, just logged into Skybet to put a hefty bet on  there being a sending off (6/4 odds) when the ref gave a straight red to Roberto for the tamest incident of the night. 

A Modric outside of the boot pass is a thing of beauty. Apparently Benitez instructed him to not do them anymore, which is hard to believe. These highlights are never ending, will the second half commence..

the Roberto punch gets worse each time..as in more embarrassing. It's like a 9 year old trying to give his brother a dead arm.