rllmuk

Football Thread 2017/18

Just now, the_debaser said:

He could’ve bought a decent goalie in January. It’s on him as much as Karius. 

Who? Which team is giving up their good goalkeeper in January?

Just now, the_debaser said:

Literally any goalkeeper in the Prem or Championship would not have made those mistakes. Except maybe Joe Hart, he’s got that in him. 

That's not how it works. Karius has all the potential, but lacks mental fortitude. There are improvement out there, but not in January, when most are either cup tied, or too vital to their teams current situations. Summer is the time to go your business for a goalkeeper unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

Literally any goalkeeper in the Prem or Championship would not have made those mistakes. Except maybe Joe Hart, he’s got that in him. 

This is bollocks mate - you forgot Mignolet.

Honestly, I think Karius has been great this season, so to fuck up like he did tonight, particularly as he was very good aside from the errors, is heart breaking. Either way, it was always going to be a position that we would look to improve in over the summer, as it's the one area the first team can be improved upon with relative ease.

I feel more for salah than for Liverpool and anyone else. The club can and will still build, but for a player you don’t know how many chances you get at stages like this or the WC.  He deserves to be able to show what he can do and Ramos took it away from him.

• Upvote 1

Obviously Karius committed a couple of clangers but I think it is too convenient to pin the loss on them. From what I watched - right after Sala went off - I don't think Liverpool ever really threatened, apart from when they scored; and they were lucky to get away with a lot of near misses throughout the game. 

That said, I think Ramos could have been off the pitch for any two of the challenge on Sala, the obvious simulation against mane, and the attack on Karius.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Tourist said:

Obviously Karius committed a couple of clangers but I think it is too convenient to pin the loss on them. From what I watched - right after Sala went off - I don't think Liverpool ever really threatened, apart from when they scored; and they were lucky to get away with a lot of near misses throughout the game. 

Mane and others did well, he did hit the post and I didn’t expect Lallana to be fully ready.  TAA was also great throughout though when most people were worried about his inexperience.  He came through the test brilliantly.  Hope he gets a chance to shine at the World Cup.

Without Karius’ mistakes, it would have been 1-1.  I prefer to think that Bale’s quality won it for Real, the game was dreadful otherwise.

As a fellow football fan I feel sorry for the Liverpool fans but...

Liverpoool did a Liverpool

One man team

At least you won the fourth places cup and golden boot

Klopp has to take most of the blame, the final has gone like the seasons he has been there with poor keepers and defence being the most common theme - when neither of you first choice keepers would get a look in at any other prem league club it’s just shocking how long that situation has gone on for.

However, it’s been a fun ride and while for me it’s another nail in the Klopp is overrated coffin at least the football is entertaining and not the drudgery you get from Man U these days!

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

One man team

Klopp has to take most of the blame, the final has gone like the seasons he has been there with poor keepers and defence being the most common theme - when neither of you first choice keepers would get a look in at any other prem league club it’s just shocking how long that situation has gone on for.

However, it’s been a fun ride and while for me it’s another nail in the Klopp is overrated coffin at least the football is entertaining and not the drudgery you get from Man U these days!

Why does Klopp need to take any blame? Liverpool weren’t outplayed or anything. They were done by a wonder goal and two individual stupid mistakes that you will not see for a long time.  

Surely he deserves credit for taking a team consisting of Karius, Milner, Henderson and Lovren to the final. 

Nobody was expecting that from Karius today. We all seen keepers make mistakes. But the first goal was just unbelievable, I’m not sure how anybody could put the blame on Klopp for that. You don’t expect your keeper to throw the ball like that to the opposition. 

But yeah Liverpool need a keeper for next season. They’d be stupid going for someone like Jack Butland. If they can’t get Oblak or Alisson then Buffon would be the perfect stopgap signing. 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

One man team

That's a very harsh reading. The defence was fine tonight and Karius' two clangers lost the game. Any side would be shell shocked after losing one of their star players in that manner but Liverpool didn't collapse like Juventus last season and Madrid didn't blow them away either. No one expected Karius to make those mistakes tonight but all keepers have it in them, just look at Lloris this season. The loss of Salah was made worse by Oxlaide-Chamberlain being unavailable who has drive and energy to keep up the press, Lallana was virtually anonymous when he came on. Unlike 2005 Liverpool have a good base to build on next season and a couple of signings in defence and I wouldn't be surprised if we're in the final again next year. 

3 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

Why does Klopp need to take any blame? Liverpool weren’t outplayed or anything. They were done by a wonder goal and two individual stupid mistakes that you will not see for a long time.  

He’s been there for three years, so five or six transfer windows and yet Mignolet and Karius, arguably the two worst keepers in the Prem, are still battling it out for the first team. He absolutely, 100%, needs to take some blame. 

14 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

He’s been there for three years, so five or six transfer windows and yet Mignolet and Karius, arguably the two worst keepers in the Prem, are still battling it out for the first team. He absolutely, 100%, needs to take some blame. 

Yeah he’s at fault for not signing a world class goalkeeper but they don’t grow on trees. Liverpool don’t have a budget like Man City who can bin someone like Bravo after spending £20m on him. 

Karius came with a good reputation from Germany. If Karius has flapped at a cross or pushed the ball towards a Madrid player after making a save then those are mistakes that most keepers besides the world class ones make. But the two he made tonight you don’t expect a goalkeeper to make that at school boy level let alone professional. It’s harsh blaming Klopp for that. 

They not the two of the worst goalkeepers in the prem. Mignolet was highly rated when he was at Sunderland. But it’s a different ball game going from being a goalkeeper who is tested non stop in a team at Sunderland to being rarely tested. Ben Foster and Tim Howard both good prem goalkeepers. But couldn’t cut it at a big club. Same for Fabianski. 

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

No. They are pretty much the two worst goalies in the Prem. Name two worse. 

Edit - Joe Hart doesn’t count. 

Adrian, Claudio Bravo, Hennesey, Forster, Elliot, Ryan and Lossl. 

Mignolet is on par with Gomes, Begovic, Ospina, Foster and Fabianski. He was a good prem goalkeeper for Sunderland. 

Liverpool don’t need a world class keeper to improve, an average prem league one would be an upgrade.

Karius had a few games without a clanger and then had another clanger - I can’t think of a a keeper that had a worse season than him, outside of mingolet, so while worst in the prem league sounds stupid it’s far too close to the truth and that is 100% the fault of Klopp in the same way signing one superstar centre back mid season doesn’t solve a poor defence when all around you are signing better defenders.

Again it’s baffling why Klopp is fireproof and it’s always someone else or circumstance to blame and not him!