rllmuk

Football Thread 2017/18

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Lossl is a great keeper. Not having that. 

Hes made blunders this season. So I am having that. 

Hes 4th on the list of errors leading to goals this season behind Lloris, Cech, Hart and Begovic. So it’s very strange you are calling him a “great” keeper. I’ve seen him make worse mistakes than Mignolet has done this season. 

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Liverpool don’t need a world class keeper to improve, an average prem league one would be an upgrade.

Karius had a few games without a clanger and then had another clanger - I can’t think of a a keeper that had a worse season than him, outside of mingolet, so while worst in the prem league sounds stupid it’s far too close to the truth and that is 100% the fault of Klopp in the same way signing one superstar centre back mid season doesn’t solve a poor defence when all around you are signing better defenders.

Again it’s baffling why Klopp is fireproof and it’s always someone else or circumstance to blame and not him!

Maybe Klopp and his team know more about footballers and goalkeepers than you and you are wrong?

Since Karius has been back in the team he has played very well indeed - he has been one of the most effective goalkeepers in the premier league. I would post to his statistics to show this, but I know how much people in this thread hate stats!

His aggressive sweeper style will cause mistakes (e.g. vs Palace) but also prevents a lot of shots and danger. Obviously this doesn't account for his two poor mistakes tonight but your post bears no relation to reality.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Liverpool don’t need a world class keeper to improve, an average prem league one would be an upgrade.

Karius had a few games without a clanger and then had another clanger - I can’t think of a a keeper that had a worse season than him, outside of mingolet, so while worst in the prem league sounds stupid it’s far too close to the truth and that is 100% the fault of Klopp in the same way signing one superstar centre back mid season doesn’t solve a poor defence when all around you are signing better defenders.

Again it’s baffling why Klopp is fireproof and it’s always someone else or circumstance to blame and not him!

And what exactly was Mignolet before they signed him? Of course they need a world class goalkeeper if they want to challenge for the title. Majority of teams who have won the league have had a world class goalkeeper. 

Liverpools first choice back four last season was Clyne, Matip, Lovren and Milner.

This season its Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Lovren and Robertson. 

Theres still plenty of flaws in the the defencebut the argument that he has just bought one good centre-half and expected that to fix everything has more holes in it than, well Liverpools defence. :(

8 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

Hes made blunders this season. So I am having that. 

Hes 4th on the list of errors leading to goals this season behind Lloris, Cech, Hart and Begovic. So it’s very strange you are calling him a “great” keeper. I’ve seen him make worse mistakes than Mignolet has done this season. 

4th on the list yet you listed 4 players before him?

Anyway he played for a team which everyone expected to be relegated, had many brilliant games and probably faced about a dozen times as many dangerous situations as Lloris or whoever. 

He isn’t as shit as Mignolet or Karius that’s for sure. 

Just now, the_debaser said:

Anyway he played for a team which everyone expected to be relegated, had many brilliant games and probably faced about a dozen times as many dangerous situations as Lloris or whoever. 

Mignolet played for Sunderland and was their best player. So your point is? Maybe you need to learn the expectations placed on goalkeepers when they play for big clubs compared to lesser clubs. When Lossl made a mistake nobody said anything. When Mignolet makes a mistake it will be all over the media because he plays for a bigger club. 

They are a hard team to love but Madrid do have big game performances down to a fine art at the moment - they came out a group with Spurs and Dortmund, and beat the champions of France, Italy & Germany in the KO stages, before nullifying one of the most threatening front 3's in world football.

On the basis of who they've beaten hard to argue they shouldn't have won the trophy.

Its interesting as they don't often seem to even play that well for prolonged spells, but can always rely on somebody doing something magnificent (usually Ronaldo but Bale last night) when its needed, its like an old cagey boxer who knows how to nick rounds.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, carlospie said:

You’ll never walk alone. Unless your Karius. Going to the team bus after the game. 

I found him being ignored by his "team mates" after the game pretty hard to watch. I guess it shows what they think of him :(

• Upvote 1

It was a shame that Salah went off so early. Ramos is an utter cretin.

Brianrilo.gif~c200

Karius did make a pair of blunders but that goal from Bale was magnificent. 

Madrid are a difficult team to like but they certainly know how to win. People saying Ronaldo has lost it because of one single game haven't seen him play much this season. Liverpool just weren't good enough to beat that Madrid squad. I'm glad Liverpool didn't win as the plastics would go on and on and on about it forever. 

In the end, the best team won - Real beat PSG, Bayern and scored a lot of goals - two of the best goals in the competition in fact. Bale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gotters said:

They are a hard team to love but Madrid do have big game performances down to a fine art at the moment - they came out a group with Spurs and Dortmund, and beat the champions of France, Italy & Germany in the KO stages, before nullifying one of the most threatening front 3's in world football.

On the basis of who've they've beaten hard to argue they shouldn't have won the trophy.

Its interesting as they don't often seem to even play that well for prolonged spells, but can always rely on somebody doing something magnificent (usually Ronaldo but Bale last night) when its needed, its like an old cagey boxer who knows how to nick rounds.

Was just thinking this - they’re going to be such an odd team to look back on and assess in the future. Same with Zidane as a coach. They don’t seem to actually be *that* good but just have a team packed with ‘clutch’ players and a manager who knows how to get the best out of them.

11 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Good old Twitter

Reading the thread, and some of the responses are just as vile. Unfortunately, although it's always a minority, these gobshites exist in every clubs fan base, and I'm fucking embarrassed to be associated with these particular ones based solely on the team I support.

2 hours ago, spork said:

Manchester United legend John O'Shea might be available cheap this summer if any teams are needing to improve their goalkeeping situation. He once nutmegged Figo! 

Don't forget this

• Upvote 2

Got to feel for Karius. You could see how upset he was and to have no support from his teammates was pathetic.

Imagine what Liverpool could be if they had De Gea and Romero

with the transfer committee at Liverpool even if Klopp has a Wenger-like blind spot to crap goalies and defenders the rest of them are equally responsible for rectifying the problem - I do admire the approach that you try to coach players into being better rather than just open up the chequebook and discard what you've got - but they've given the coaching method a go now. 

Liverpool should find any identifiable fan sending Karius death threats and ban them for life, even if season ticket holders.

10 hours ago, the_debaser said:

You're completely wrong I'm afraid. He came to us after a disastrous spell at Mainz and, whilst capable of pulling off a world class save or two, has cost us many, many points this season. Modern keepers can often be like that but his ratio wasn't good enough for me and I'd swap hiim for either of Liverpool's keepers in a heartbeat. Well, Maybe not Karius after last night unless he has an ungodly amount of mental strength.

It's funny, I've spent a lot of this season wondering if some of our issues in recruitment and tactics have been down to Wagner having too much faith in his players and it's hard not to wonder the same thing about Klopp with the goalkeeper situation. That's obviously a really nice quality to have as a human being and probably part of why they can get players to overperform for them but there's a fine line between believing in someone and having a total blind spot regarding their capabilities.

27 minutes ago, Gotters said:

with the transfer committee at Liverpool even if Klopp has a Wenger-like blind spot to crap goalies and defenders the rest of them are equally responsible for rectifying the problem - I do admire the approach that you try to coach players into being better rather than just open up the chequebook and discard what you've got - but they've given the coaching method a go now. 

I don't think it's so much as a blind spot as it is just lack of availability. I mean, which top keepers - and by that I mean those have played at the top level - have been available? Players like  Pickford & Butland haven't been tested at the top level so whilst they may get there, buying them would be like plucking Mignolet or Karius previously, in that you are taking somebody who has performed well at a certain level and hoping they can step-up to the demands of a bigger club, rather than being reassured that they have already been there and done that.

• Upvote 1

I hate social media for shit like this. Karius might not be the long term solution for Liverpool as a player, but he doesn't deserve anything like that. Hope these 'fans' can be identified and punished. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I don't think it's so much as a blind spot as it is just lack of availability. I mean, which top keepers - and by that I mean those have played at the top level - have been available? Players like  Pickford & Butland haven't been tested at the top level so whilst they may get there, buying them would be like plucking Mignolet or Karius previously, in that you are taking somebody who has performed well at a certain level and hoping they can step-up to the demands of a bigger club, rather than being reassured that they have already been there and done that.

This is true and people often underestimate how different it is to be a goalkeeper at a bigger club despite history being littered with those who've struggled with it after looking great elsewhere, but Klopp's been there three years now which isn't an insignificant amount of time to address the situation. As it stands Mignolet is still somewhat in contention which is a bit mad at this point. Donnarumma might still be young but he's clearly had itchy feet for a year or so which Liverpool could've taken advantage of. Surely there must've been other potential options since 2015 too.