rllmuk

Football Thread 2017/18

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Coutiniho skews that somewhat, but I wasn’t suggesting transfer fees as if our star player was sold this season Poch would have a vastly lower net spend so transfer fees aren’t a great measure when it’s reliant on you having someone Real/Barca want!

So keeping hold of established key players isn't an advantage? I think it was quite clear that Klopp would have preferred to keep Coutinho rather than make his net spend lower. 

He's done an amazing job. To suggest he hasn't is quite laughable. We're not the finished article but we've clearly made a lot of progress under him in a short amount of time. 

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ahh good old LDF is out fighting, you will note prior to the final I wished you well and said if you lost I was rolling the puns out and I was true to my word. You lot have been calling Spurs a one man team for years so a little payback but it’s a little too close to the truth for you I guess!

And lols, Poch has done a vasty better job than Klopp in the same period with far less resources and a season away from home! He has also beaten Real Madrid... but yes we have come up short in competitions we shouldn’t really be on level footing with opponents but again we have been competing and that’s just a sign of the amazing job Poch has done.

I do love a defence that has a good game and loses 3-1, keeper is part of the defence except at Liverpool I guess as your players so willing proved at the end of the game - poor sod.

"LDF" how old are you :rolleyes: If you're going to talk shit then you expect retort. There's a lot of LFC fans on here so expect a lot back if you give it the big one.

You brought up the keeper and the defence separately but now they are one in the same? No one ever includes the keeper when talking about defence, stop trying to make it for your narrative. How are the defence at blame for any of the goals last night?

We're not on a level footing in the CL either, no one expected us to get to the final, everyone said City would beat us, but we bested them twice (3 times if you include the league). It's not just you who are the underdogs. But we did better.

Personally I think reaching 3 finals (2 being European finals) and qualifying for the CL twice is better than qualifying for the CL three times and no finals in the same time period. Even if we did lose them, we still got there. But thats just me.

Klopps not just improved us on field but the fan base is better than its been for a long time too. Other than 13/14 its been divided loads since 08/09. There's a massive feeling of togetherness and hopefullness which he's created. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Coutiniho skews that somewhat, but I wasn’t suggesting transfer fees as if our star player was sold this season Poch would have a vastly lower net spend so transfer fees aren’t a great measure when it’s reliant on you having someone Real/Barca want!

Coutinho was their best player in January. Yes, Salah scored a lot of goals after before and after January. But if you asked most Liverpool fans who was their best player at that time then they would have said Coutinho. 

So losing a player like him in mid season and still reaching the champions league final surely has to be considered great management. It could have easily gone the other way and disrupted Liverpools season especially as they didn’t even replace him. I’m sure Klopp would have preferred he stayed rather than win the net spend dick wars. 

Now imagine if Spurs lost Eriksen in January. You probably would have lost out to Chelsea for the top four.

Losing to Real Madrid who have won the competition 3 times in a row isn’t any shame. The best teams in France, Germany or Italy couldn’t beat them this season. Yeah we can go on about luck, but at the end of the day over two legs this Madrid team were ruthless when it mattered. They not as stylish as Peps Barca. But you gotta give them credit. They can play beautiful or dirty. 

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

You lot have been calling Spurs a one man team for years

a season away from home!

Because you are. 

:rolleyes:fuck me, this season away from home excuse is one of the worst I've ever heard. Next year it will be "we are paying for the stadium". Just shit shit shit excuses. 

8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

And lols, Poch has done a vasty better job than Klopp in the same period with far less resources and a season away from home!

Unless you actually win anything it's all a bit redundant.

unusedtrophy.jpg.6634a5b3ca7bdbc1f2cbf22f9ee3f5c8.jpg

• Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Because you are. 

:rolleyes:fuck me, this season away from home excuse is one of the worst I've ever heard. Next year it will be "we are paying for the stadium". Just shit shit shit excuses. 

Yeah shit shit excuses and we still finished ahead of super Klopp and the blind army :lol:

Losing to Real wasn't Liverpool doing a Liverpool. If it were, they'd have beaten Real and then lost to Garforth Town in their next game.

It would've been a "Spurs gonna Spurs" moment though.

Just now, tbb said:

Losing to Real wasn't Liverpool doing a Liverpool. If it were, they'd have beaten Real and then lost to Garforth Town in they're next game.

It would've been a "Spurs gonna Spurs" moment though.

Bottling it at the last stage is a pretty Liverpool thing to do isn't it? 3 Klopp Cup finals lost in a row, Gerrard slipping and effectively costing them a league title. That sort of thing. 

1 minute ago, spork said:

Bottling it at the last stage is a pretty Liverpool thing to do isn't it? 3 Klopp Cup finals lost in a row, Gerrard slipping and effectively costing them a league title. That sort of thing. 

Is it? We have a pretty great trophy haul, which doesn't seem synonymous with bottling it. The last 2 decades we've been in 13 finals, won 7. Pretty consistent really rather than serial bottle jobs. Although the last few years haven't been kind, I'd still prefer to be in the final, go along with that journey to the final and lose than never be within a shout of it. Fucking hurts losing them, especially the CL, but the campaign this year to get there has been exciting and enjoyable.

I'd say we definitely bottled it against Seville, but not the other two finals. One final we lost on penalties though so 50/50, could have gone either way. Saturday wasn't exactly a steam rolling like some people want to paint it as. Without the errors and Salah going off who knows what would have happened. Unfortunately they did happen and one mans errors have to be taken as as loss for the whole team. The lads have all come out and said we win together and we lose together so if people want to paint that as the whole team bottling it thats fine.

Is Gerrards slip really a bottle job moment though? An accident off the ball its't exactly bottling it, just really bloody unfortunate. We had to go on something like an 11 game winning streak to even keep up with City. You can laugh by all means, you know we would the other way round, but doubtful you could call it a bottle job. You could easily argue that the games we drew and lost that year lost us the title too. If Gerrard had slipped first game of the season, no one would mention it.

I'm not trying to make excuses even though some of you may look at it like that, but there's context to everything other than just saying "It's a Liverpool thing, they bottle things" when really thats not that true. We're just inconsistent.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Adrock said:

@Shimmyhill, @Shevchenko made some excellent points. Are you not going to address those?

The Liverpool fans in here taking the bait are almost as bad as Shimmyhill.

7 hours ago, Shevchenko said:

Coutinho was their best player in January. Yes, Salah scored a lot of goals after before and after January. But if you asked most Liverpool fans who was their best player at that time then they would have said Coutinho. 

So losing a player like him in mid season and still reaching the champions league final surely has to be considered great management. It could have easily gone the other way and disrupted Liverpools season especially as they didn’t even replace him. I’m sure Klopp would have preferred he stayed rather than win the net spend dick wars. 

Now imagine if Spurs lost Eriksen in January. You probably would have lost out to Chelsea for the top four.

Losing to Real Madrid who have won the competition 3 times in a row isn’t any shame. The best teams in France, Germany or Italy couldn’t beat them this season. Yeah we can go on about luck, but at the end of the day over two legs this Madrid team were ruthless when it mattered. They not as stylish as Peps Barca. But you gotta give them credit. They can play beautiful or dirty. 

Fair points, a gamble on Salah paid off (and he was a gamble, fair play as he was clearly the outstanding player in the PL this season) but how about what Poch dealt with this season - best two defenders missed pretty much all of the season, best holding midfielder missed most of the season and Kane had two periods out with injury. I know playing away from home apparently doesn’t count but we did that as well and escaped the hardest group in the CL too, semi of FA cup and still finished ahead of the all conquering Liverpool.

Anyway as @Adrock pointed out winding up the LDF (keep hitting dem negs boys) is hardly fun when it’s like taking candy from a baby who has left the candy at my house with a big ‘take me’ sign on it.

To next season, let the good times roll :) 

Do you get extra points if it is the hardest group in the CL?  Is losing an FA Cup semi-final (at a ground that you've played at for a full season) a better result than losing a Champions League final? Is Klopp losing six finals in a row worse than Spurs losing eight FA Cup semi-finals in a row?

Fine, Spurs beat Real in a group stage.  It doesn't matter at that point.  Liverpool beat Man City over two legs in the knockout phase.

• Upvote 7
1 hour ago, Revival said:

Unless you actually win anything it's all a bit redundant.

unusedtrophy.jpg.6634a5b3ca7bdbc1f2cbf22f9ee3f5c8.jpg

Well that's fucking bullshit.

Both Klopp and Poch have done wonders at their respective clubs considering what they have to work with.  But I wouldn't expect you to understand this coming from a supporter of a club that has spent the last 15 years buying everything they have won while abusing the loan system and bringing through less youth players in that time that Spurs and Liverpool have in 4 seasons.

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Dear Christ, I hate to imagine what the world would look like if these supporters had to walk a mile in 86 other League clubs shoes.

Why don't you tell us again? 

• Upvote 6
21 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Dear Christ, I hate to imagine what the world would look like if these supporters had to walk a mile in 86 other League clubs shoes.

No, fuck you with your top 7 privilege but no trophies to show for it!

(Am I doing the football thread right?)

Just now, Rsdio said:

No, fuck you with your top 7 privilege but no trophies to show for it!

(Am I doing the football thread right?)

LANCASHIRE SENIOR CUP WINNERS* - YOU'LL NEVER SING THAT!

*1992-93.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Anyway as @Adrock pointed out winding up the LDF (keep hitting dem negs boys) is hardly fun when it’s like taking candy from a baby who has left the candy at my house with a big ‘take me’ sign on it.

Ah, the old "fishing" comment someone pulls out when they don't have anything constructive to add. Maybe you can add that trophy in with your "we finished above Liverpool again" medal :rolleyes: