rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Qazimod

Hyperkin Retron 77 - a new Atari VCS/2600 under-the-TV box thing

If you want to play retro Atari 2600/VCS games, you're not short on options. There's eBay for the original console, of course. You can play some on mobile, buy one of those Flashback all-in-ones or splurge on the ultimate man/woman cave table. But for those who have the original cartridges but don't want to keep an old console on permanent life support or tinker with modifications under the hood, your options aren't so good. Enter the RetroN 77 -- the VCS reimagined for the modern age. Importantly, it plays most if not all of the original game cartridges in glorious 1080p and at a modern aspect ratio, right out of the box.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/atari-2600-retron-77/

Hyperkin have previously done stuff like the Retron 3 and Retron 5 although I personally never tried those. Are their machines any good? Do people want a new VCS thing?

5Kgp5FA.jpg

I'd have thought the market for this would be pretty small.  Can you play many VCS games for more than 10 minutes nowadays?

"A modern aspect ratio"? No, I want to play them in their original aspect ratio, you fucking monsters.

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

I'd have thought the market for this would be pretty small.  Can you play many VCS games for more than 10 minutes nowadays?

I could play Frostbite forever.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NEG said:

Asteroids never ages.

The arcade version, yes, I'd agree. The VCS version, no thanks.

On 15 June 2017 at 21:14, Swainy said:

I'll stick with my Atari 7800, it's backwards compatible.

Not entirely unfortunately.

I like the bit about keeping 2600s on life support.  Those things are built like fucking tanks.

• Upvote 1

I only mention this because it sounds like John C Reilly reviewing video games

and prior to the video, I'm biased towards the 77, though it'll push the price of carts up...