rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen on HBO

@grindmouse  maybe you shouldn’t have bailed on episode 2 then? 

Your red scare point is meaningless. He’s an ancillary character whose had two or three lines across 5 episodes so hardly worthy of disdain and easily ignored. 

Think all of your other negatives have been explained or expanded upon as the series has progressed tbh.  With the drip feed turning into a gradual deluge. 

looking glass just had an entire episode dedicated to him that also managed to reveal lots of answers to the overall storyline. Whilst adding more questions to consider. Tim Blake Nelson just delivered a fantastic performance as well 

But fair enough it’s awful. 

• Upvote 6

That was probably the best episode yet. Love that the whole episode was based around Looking Glass, brilliant character. 

Some spoilered thoughts:

Spoiler

So Adrien is trapped not on Mars but on one of Jupiter’s moons - the people there are Dr Manhattan’s attempt at creating life, but he’s fucked off now?

All I read in the message was ‘SAVE ME’, didn’t see a D, am I blind?

What the hell are the Kavalry doing with a teleporter?! I assume the senator has brought Adrien’s video with him, has shown it to some Kavalry and is now using them to do his bidding. But what’s the end game? And why use a bunch of racist nutters to achieve it?

• Upvote 1

Aw, poor Looking Glass. That ep really put the other cost of Adrian's peace into perspective, not just the death toll but the horror and despair those close to it would go through. The guy's spent his entire life scared shitless of a lie. And how good was that long reverse zoom into the heart of Manhattan?

Spoiler

That said, I'm kind of iffy on Adrian's video, it seems risky as fuck. But I can't deny it also feels in keeping with the ego of the man, he couldn't wait to tell Dan and Rorschach about his master plan. Smartest man or not, he's also a total narcissist who probably would want people to know how smart he is and how right he was, the man who 'saved' the world.

As for his current predicament, I would have thought he's trying to contact either Jon or Dan, and Lady Trieu is the one who's put him there. This whole thing is shaping up to be about undoing the sins of the past. Will wants to undo the atrocity of Tulsa, while Trieu probably seeks to free Vietnam from the USA.

I'm digging the hell out of it.

• Upvote 4

Add me to the `this is brilliant` camp.  I scoffed at the trailers when they first came out and then decided to watch it just for a laugh - turns out it's some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. 

This weeks episode did feel like it was a bit of a turning point for people who aren't well versed with the initial material (up until now I'd imagine it's been a bit of a confusing affair).

The opening pullback shot was so well done after the film skipped on it, my inner nerd had a bit of a moment.

• Upvote 5

What's the big plan then?

Lady Trieu seems to be up to some sort of Veidt-style shenanigans, which looks like it involves cloning both the body and mind of humans, then the 7th Kavalry have their teleporting experiments going on which I assume are somehow related. Are Trieu and Keene both secretly working with each other or for Veidt? According to Peteypedia, Adrian did own an estate in Vietnam, so there's a possible connection there between himself and Lady Trieu. Are they trying to create a clone of Dr Manhattan? What is going on? Looking forward to finding out.

13 hours ago, Popo said:

That was probably the best episode yet. Love that the whole episode was based around Looking Glass, brilliant character. 

Some spoilered thoughts:

Hide contents

All I read in the message was ‘SAVE ME’, didn’t see a D, am I blind?

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 12.12.03.png

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, grindmouse said:

YES. Totally agree.

I bailed on episode 2.

It’s desperately trying to be the next “big thing” that, like Westworld, it’s moments are unearned because the writing is not deep enough and the dialogue is terribly on the nose / full on trash.

The characters are meh. Communist guy is Guy Ritchie’s Watchmen. The Glass mask character is a decent riff on Rorschach’s mask, but otherwise shite. The death in ep 1 has zero impact as we have no context and as a hook the mystery surrounding it is weak. Like Westworld, it hints at deep themes and big conspiracies but dripfeeds them in a way that is frustrating and without any meaning or sense of dramatic tension. It may be going to great places, but the early eps are boring, silly and shallow. It’s in the bad Walking Dead territory for me.

By that token the Comedians death in the book wasn't earned either, it plays out in the same manner and is actually done with far sooner than in this show.

56 minutes ago, wev said:

By that token the Comedians death in the book wasn't earned either, it plays out in the same manner and is actually done with far sooner than in this show.

It was a cold open and a superhero called The Comedian is already way more interesting than Don Johnson’s bland Chief. The scene is otherwise entirely different and a far more engaging and concise introduction, also being as it was in a comic book from 30 years ago it’s apples and oranges, really.

After finding the first couple of episodes middling the next 3 have been fantastic, loving this now.

Episode 5 was fucking stupendous from start to finish. One of the best hours of telly I’ve seen in years.

Seriously this is some career-redefining stuff from Lindeloff. Amazing. Cannot wait for the next one.

• Upvote 4

Episode 5 

The opening with Looking Glass; for a second I thought the girl he was with was a nod towards Death from Sandman. Just her appearance and ankh earring. 

How does Looking Glass have the power to read minds? Was this caused by faux squid or something else?

Great episode. Am I mistaken, or was that Michael Imperioli in the ‘come back to New York’ ad at the start?

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, K said:

Great episode. Am I mistaken, or was that Michael Imperioli in the ‘come back to New York’ ad at the start?

Oh yeah, forgot about that! Surely he can't just be in that one brief moment?

I also thought that Looking Glass had simply studied psychology and fancied himself as a lie-detector ever since getting mugged off by the punk girl, rather than having any super-power. Is he even that good at detecting lies? The feedback he gave to the NYC tourist board sounded like him projecting and he got totally duped by the Seventh Kavalry woman. He reminds me a bit of Lost's Locke, and this episode was like that famous S1E4 Locke backstory episode after which everyone realised "holy shit this is a bit good."

The opening of this episode was just brilliant.

Spoiler

Now we know Senator Keene is working with the 7K, what was the attempting kidnapping at the funeral all about? Just misdirection, a la Veidt's assassination attempt in the original text? Keene doesn't seem that careful about hiding what he's doing.

Veidt in his video-message really reminded me of Jarvis:

I assumed Jeremy Irons, with his mad Die Hard With A Vengeance accent, was playing the part as Veidt gone a bit doolally years later.

Try going back and try reading the Veidt stuff transposing Iron's entire butcher's shop worth of ham approach, it doesn't really work.

Maybe it’s just me, but I can 100% hear Irons reading that in his Die Hard voice. 

1282DF46-1B8E-4FED-BD65-E12AFCA6CF2C.jpeg

• Upvote 4

@Pob I assumed Imperioli was playing himself, ie they’d got a famous New Yorker to close off the advert. Presumably the advert wasn’t a prominent enough part of the series to get someone more famous. 

Speaking of which, I wonder if they’ve actually roped in Robert Redford for an appearance. 

I also loved the whole ‘Pale Horse’ monologue from Mrs Ray Donovan. Co-opting Schindler’s List in that way was rather showy, but done with such sheer brio it was hard to not be impressed.

• Upvote 1

On 18/11/2019 at 22:02, charley farley said:
  Hide contents

I assume Veidts ’Save Me D...’ was ‘Save Me Dr.’?

So not the blue guy keeping him prisoner?

Slight comic spoilers:

Spoiler

I've been thinking about this and I wonder if it's 'Save me Dan' and not 'Save me Dr'? Because Dr M. would have knowledge of what's happening on Jupiter the same way he can see all of Earth. So maybe he's asking for a Nite Owl rescue?

And we've seen the Owl Ship technology is still being used.

• Upvote 3

I thought that was possible but 

Spoiler

Dan doesn't have the tech to get to Europa does he? Which makes Dr M  more plausible Imo 

• Upvote 1

@Silent Runner

That did occur to me, but I reasoned a similar way as @cassidy

Spoiler

I think it's Trieu who has imprisoned Veidt. She didn't buy the company from him, she stole it.

I think she's built the prison with some cloaking/portal technology (possibly linked to what the seventh Kav were doing) as we saw him pop out onto the surface and saw the various dead folk catapulted across the boundary as they vanished in the sky. It's some way of trying to stop him contacting the outside world.

I think this is a prison to keep him from contacting Dr. M as much as anything.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the Europa thing is yet more smoke and mirrors. Maybe he's in a soundstage in Delaware.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jonamok said:

But what did Delaware?

A Pale Horse Madison square garden 11/2/85 gig t-shirt and a smiley badge obvs 

• Upvote 1

I’m caught up at last. This has just got better and better every episode. I particularly love the fact that Looking Glass’ mask is literally a tin foil hat. And his actual hat is too!

• Upvote 3