rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen on HBO

3 hours ago, multiclunk said:

Ok, thank you. Order placed for the paperback on Amazon. 12 quid, it better be worth it guys :quote:

Thank you @Pete and @Delargey though. I'm trusting your judgement.

Watchmen is excellent. You'll read it many times. Quite often just to look at it.

Then you'll hear about the Fearful Symmetry chapter and have to read that again.

There's just so much in there.

And the series, while fine, is a pale shadow of the depth and layers of the comic.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Pete said:

No, just one brilliant comic. I read it over two days before Christmas.

I think in my first read through I was so anxious to get through the plot I didn't really take in the detail, and I think I even skipped some of the back story clippings at the end of chapters. It's crazy because reading it now I realise actually how tight it is. 

Quite scary how influencial Veidt's philosophing was on a 16 year old me as well! I was surprised how much I remembered. And I adore the line "stop me? It's already happened" (paraphrasing). Who's ripped that off? 

"I did it thirty-five minutes ago".

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Festoon said:

Then you'll hear about the Fearful Symmetry chapter and have to read that again.

Spoiler

Toward the end of the chapter I only noticed the pills the doctor takes more and more regularly. 

What else did I miss? 

*Googles it*

What!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:
  Hide contents

Toward the end of the chapter I only noticed the pills the doctor takes more and more regularly. 

What else did I miss? 

*Googles it*

What!

Yup. 

AND

the chapter is about Rorschach and Veidt who have quite similar methods except micro and macro.

I must have been getting a drink or otherwise taking care of business so I think I missed what led

Dr M to ingratiate himself with Angela in the first place.

Also there's no way Veidt will get to court, lest World Peace be ruined. After all it was the threat of the truth being exposed that got Rorschach vapourised.

Uh yeah, and also totally

Lady Trieu is still around as someone because Nostalgia. 

Also also what was the point of Looking Glass? Did he actually do anything at all of significance? Even when he was disguised as a cavalryman at the end he didn't do a goddamn thing.

Postie has been. My, it's thicker than I was expecting. And heavier. Will probably start it next year ;)

edit - Jesus I need a haircut or a hat

IMG_20191231_160806.jpg

• Upvote 7

I’m three chapters in and it’s amazing. Toying with his Absolute Swamp Thing now because the book is so lovely.

• Upvote 1

Thread has kindly reminded me I need to own the comic, I read a mate’s copy some years ago now.

And while inspecting the 2013-published hard cover version on Amazon just now, I saw this back cover quote:

"The greatest piece of popular fiction ever produced." - LOST co-creator Damon Lindelof

Who knew?

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, DC said:

I’m three chapters in and it’s amazing. Toying with his Absolute Swamp Thing now because the book is so lovely.

Get it! cos not only is it one of the greatest comic book storys and runs ever but the Absolute is stunning. 

Really enjoyed this. I think i watched it 2 and half times.

The 2nd watch was much better as it becomes clear it does that “everything happens at the same time” thing because of Dr Manhattan.

My fav scene is the cinema scene at the end with sister night and hooded justice. Just seemed really epic especially with the music.

Just now, Monkeyboy said:

Watched two episodes of this and can’t seem to get into it. Does it get better?

The first two eps are the worst but it drags a bit throughout.

It doesn't drag at all, it's brilliant. Takes a while to start coming together to make sense but totally worth it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

The first two episodes are great and it only gets better from there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Stick with it and watch it again after.

I found the earlier eps better the 2nd time after you know the ending 

I think, more than anything, it was knowing that Damon Lindelof is involved. Was I in the mood for mystery piled upon mystery with no actual answers? Also, after coming straight from watching The Mandalorian which is about as straightforward as genre telly can be (in a good way), it was taking a while to bed in for me. However, I've stuck with it on everyone's recommendation and I'm up to episode 4. Things are making more sense, and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

I'm a bit late to the party but this was fantastic right? Who knew Damon Lindelof had this in him. 

Anyone who watched The Leftovers :quote:

But yes, it's great!

• Upvote 7

Watched up to episode 5 so far. Really not sure what to make of it. 

I've read the novel once, years ago and liked it enough. 

I am finding this a bit aimless, needlessly obtuse and not really sure whether I care about anything.

I wouldn't call it bad, but I'm not really looking forward to watching it.

• Upvote 1

Reading the comic definitely helps. And as a comic book obsessive I thought it was fantastic.

Except i still don't really know who killed the police chief ?

8 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Reading the comic definitely helps. And as a comic book obsessive I thought it was fantastic.

Spoiler

Uh - Will Reeves, right?

6 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Spoiler

He killed himself after being commanded to by Hooded Justice/Angelas grandfather. Who had the racist mind-control tech the Cyclops group had.

9 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Watched up to episode 5 so far. Really not sure what to make of it. 

I've read the novel once, years ago and liked it enough. 

I am finding this a bit aimless, needlessly obtuse and not really sure whether I care about anything.

I wouldn't call it bad, but I'm not really looking forward to watching it.

I was kind of thinking the same when watching. It is Lindelof after all. But everything ties together quite neatly to be honest. It doesn't leave loads of mysteries unanswered. So I recommend sticking with it. I nearly bailed, but glad I didn't.