Subnautica - Ver 1.0 Out Now

A bit late now, but don't bother with filter fish, the water you can extract from them is not worth the effort. Collect salt and bits of the large tubular corals, which when combined in a fabricator make bleach. Bleach makes larger quantities of purified water and it's how you're supposed to sustain yourself until you get your automated purifier online. Salt's also handy for making dried fish, which will last for the long journeys away from your base. Certain species are more calorific than others so it pays to identify which early on.

I actually really liked the survival elements. For me it meant I was planning excursions rather than just going off exploring. It made the experience much more strategic for me as well as making the base building more important (for the desalinisation plant). But of course one mans fun is another's pain in the arse :) 

I found it irritating and repetetive in the beginning but once I got bleach production online and salt etc managing food and drink became a much more enjoyable part of planning and plotting out excursions. Also some of the significant upgrades you can find are related to food and water production which are really satisfying when you get hold of them. So for me I just wish they'd toned down the food/drink requirements in the first couple of hours and it would have been fine. Having said that I don't think you're missing out on a great deal by turning it off, you lose some of the threat and planning aspect but there's so many other cool elements to the game to enjoy besides that.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed this a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed most of it, but couldn't help feel the pacing was way off. Maybe it's because I played without food or water (which I am ever so grateful for doing- I'd have hated water and food pressure in the endgame), but as soon as the radio messages stopped coming through the game kind of became a grindy drag. Before then whizzing around to new terrifying places with terrifying beasts and deep blackness was awesome, and I loved the speed yet fragility of the Seamoth. The gating of new areas behind depth crush level was intelligent, and using laser cutters and repairs to investigate wrecks was amazing. I was genuinely suprised by the islands, shocked by the alien base, and loved the difference that the Aurora provided.

However, as soon as the direction left, the game slowed to a halt. Really made worse by the contradictory messaging regarding exploration- later vehicles are slow and cumbersome, and the penalties for dying in vehicles, combined with the aggressiveness of the monsters, explicitly direct you away from undirected exploration. Also not helped by the longest save times ever. Even less fun was the clunky platformer the final third of the game is- putting all the endgame stuff down hidden caves and making the Prawn Suit mandatory is a bafflingly shit decision- it's terrible to control, loses the USP about being underwater, and lets you tank previously terrifying monsters. It would be much better if some of it were out in the lesser explored zones.

Also the tech issues became worse and worse, my prawn suit bugged out in the final base, and I also had to restart from a previous save after swimming towards some interesting plants, when the level spawned around and in me.

However, I don't want to give the impression I didn't like it, I thought it was fantastic, but wish it could have stayed as the initial game. The feeling when investigating the jellyshroom caves and the first time I saw the octopus by the 2nd underwater base were amazing.

Agree with all of that. Utterly compelling for about 75% of the game. But despite the bugs, the loss of direction in the mid-game, and the endgame materials grind in awkward and stressful locations, it’s still a fantastic experience.

I’ve picked up the sequel in early access and hope to finally dip into it this weekend.

Yep, this mirrors my experience, too. I ended up using the cheat console by the end to spawn materials that would otherwise have taken ages to grind. It was either that or abandoning the game.

@jonamok - do you mean the Antarctic expansion, or whatever it is? I didn't realise it was a proper sequel. Let us know what it's like, and if they've fixed the pop in.

It’s not an expansion, it’s a complete game (or will be when it’s out of EA), and is indeed set in the Arctic regions of the same planet. You play as another survivor from the same crash.

Think it’ll be out of PC EA soon and consoles later in the year.

Anyway, tried the first 15 minutes on my new PC with superwide 1440/144Hz monitor, and it’s fucking mint (though you’d expect it to be on a 3070). A big difference to the first game on my One X!

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Anyway, tried the first 15 minutes on my new PC with superwide 1440/144Hz monitor

Off topic, but what monitor did you get? I got an ultrawide 144hz monitor recently but thought it seemed small after my 32 inch 16:9. Ended up sending it back.

It’s the new Gigabyte g34wqc.

34 inch, 3440x1440, 144Hz.

£400 and an absolutely lovely thing.

First time ultrawide user, so a new world to me.

For context I console game on a 55” telly, but about 13-15 feet away. So this monitor, at a distance of two feet, feels fucking massive. :lol:

Put a few hours this morning into the sequel, and it’s brilliant (even in early access). Loads of amazing creatures, some very scary weather, and the usual mix of cautious exploration and gradual gear progression - some familiar, some new - and lots of hints of how the story and the world are going to open up. Plenty of surprises already, but no terrifying megafauna yet, but I doubt it will be long.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Put a few hours this morning into the sequel, and it’s brilliant (even in early access). Loads of amazing creatures, some very scary weather, and the usual mix of cautious exploration and gradual gear progression - some familiar, some new - and lots of hints of how the story and the world are going to open up. Plenty of surprises already, but no terrifying megafauna yet, but I doubt it will be long.

Does it feel complete? I'd like to play it, but if it's still in early access I'm not too sure.

They’re still adding stuff, and bug fixing, but they say the story is all there and it’s fully (and very well) voiced. I’ve not encountered anything amiss yet, but I’m very early doors.

They do ‘reset’ saves with major updates, and that’s bound to happen again. But that goes with the territory, and I’m just having fun in this lovely new world. I won’t mind replaying it when it hits v1, and I’m happy to lob them my £15 in the meantime.

You might want to wait for v1, it shouldn’t be too many more months.

Edit: In fact they’re saying it will be out early 2021, and as a result last week they put it up to full launch price of £25.

Yep, really hyped for Below Zero too. I've been trying to avoid media about it for like a year, but I have seen pics of a few of the megafauna in thumbnails :(

I played Subnautica on PC but the performance was terrible (laptop woes). This time I'm going to wait for the console version so I'm praying they don't take too long to port it!

• 1 month later...

Went into this game completely blind last month on gamepass and have just finished it, it’s been an amazing journey!

Ive really enjoyed it, and it’s been a great game to play in Lockdown.

I liked the survival and base building elements, I probably should have got through it quicker, (it took me ages to get the sea moth) but doing things in your own way was certainly part of the appeal. 

The only bit that really stumped me was 

Spoiler

Finding the alien power plant in the dark lava cave. There really could have done with a few more clues or to make that cave a bit brighter.  It took several trips to this cave to find it.

The pop up is issues were also a pain later in the game, and it I missed some important stuff on first explorations of areas simply because it wasn’t popping. 

The idea of playing in VR though is pretty terrifying, particularly when you are lost in a cave or wreck and low on oxygen!

The most satisfying game to finish in a long time for me. 

Good news for me and other Subnautica fans: Below Zero (the sequel) is coming out of Early Access and getting full launch on PC and all consoles in May! This is particularly great news for those of us with shitty PCs as I was expecting us to have to wait ages for them to make the console versions. Looks like they invested wisely and got console publisher support thanks to the success of the original. Can't wait!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-25-subnautica-below-zero-leaving-early-access-and-launching-in-may