IGNORED

League 1, 2, Non-League and any other League (inc Sunday League) 2017-18

neoELITE

We've sold just over 5,500 season tickets with a month to go. Portsmouth have sold 14,000. Best news for Plymouth Argyle though is that we've resigned Graham Carey - he was instrumental last season in getting us promoted and it's the best bit of business we've done this summer. Just over 4 weeks to go :)

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

:lol:

Hey, we're both supporting League One clubs - I don't think either of us can take too much high ground!

True. We'll leave that for @Coltrane;)

I'd be happy with an upper half finish but I think we'll be entertaining this year rather than grinding out 0-1 wins (we did that a lot away from home). We've signed a lot of attacking midfielders. That might not be the best idea but it'll be fun.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

True. We'll leave that for @Coltrane;)

I'd be happy with an upper half finish but I think we'll be entertaining this year rather than grinding out 0-1 wins (we did that a lot away from home). We've signed a lot of attacking midfielders. That might not be the best idea but it'll be fun.

Silence, small club supporter! You're just jealous because we've actually won something this century ;)

There's a 12 page thread on our unofficial fans forum on the main board. Rickie Lambert (will he sign)? It's quite funny. Lambert is apparently unwanted at Cardiff City and Neil Warnock is at Cardiff City. Warnock once managed Plymouth Argyle and his family home is just over the river in East Cornwall. The local press have picked up on the forum rumour and it seems to have created a vicious, self-perpetuating circle of rumours that is growing and sustaining itself. It's hilarious as Lambert is allegedly on £25k a week at Cardiff City (I have no idea who would know that) and is under contract. A loan deal is the rumour. I really want to send a link to Rickie Lambert as it'd probably make his Summer to read that a small club (some of the fans think because we sometimes take 800 away fans to places like Stevenage, we're up there with Man Utd) at the arse end of the country think we should offer him no more than £2,000 a week as he's a prima donna and a has-been and would not be guaranteed a starting place as the number 9 here just because he played for Liverpool once.

One of our better signings in the Summer was a centre half from Morecombe:lol:

Some fans are completely mental. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big, big loss but inevitable and I'm sure there will be more youngsters coming through. Huge money for us and exciting times with the stadium work going on.

I'm off to Taunton on Thursday for the pre season friendly :)

1 minute ago, Carlos Valderrama said:

Big, big loss but inevitable and I'm sure there will be more youngsters coming through. Huge money for us and exciting times with the stadium work going on.

I'm off to Taunton on Thursday for the pre season friendly :)

Are you sorting that away end out? Hopefully as it's awful. You must be doing something right with the academy.

I am attending our only home friendly on Friday vs Cardiff City. Good old Warnock - always brings a team down here for a friendly. I doubt Craig Noone will play but I hope he does. We're currently beating Torquay 0-1 at Plainmoor. That will be a massive win ;)

1 hour ago, Carlos Valderrama said:

Yep! The away end has been demolished and a covered stand is going in! 

My God! I also forgot that Ethan Ampadou has also gone to Chelsea; you'll get a decent sized fee for him too. We got £300k-ish for Curtis Nelson from Oxford United as we developed him and he was under 23 when he left us (he'd played 200 games though) so I'd expect you'll get at least £500k from Chelsea for him - probably closer to a £1m and also a potential sell-on clause. I keep forgetting, given your ground improvements that you don't have to actually put seats in - we do and that's why it's going to cost £5m+ to renovate our decrepit old stand.

We took just over 800 away at Torquay on a Tuesday night for a friendly. We used to take way less than that when we were a Championship on a Saturday when we played them regularly in friendlies. 

Whilst I think Pompey have made some good signings in the pre-season - Luke McGee looks a promising young goalkeeper and Brett Pitman has scored goals in the championship so will probably do well in League 1 - I do wonder why we are playing friendlies against such weak non league opposition ? We've beaten Bognor, Salisbury and H&W really easily and last night played Newport (IOW) - who my Dad used to play for incidentally - and beat them 8-0. I'm just surprised you get much at all from games like that apart from helping raise fitness and morale a bit.

I hope we're at least playing some League 2 or equivalent teams from other countries before the season starts. Maybe we are, and I'm just being lazy by not looking at our pre season fixture list ;)

4 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Luke McGee looks a promising young goalkeeper

Luke McGhee is an excellent signing - he finished last season on loan at Posh and we all really, really wanted him back. But we couldn't get a deal done with Spurs, and you folks have benefited. He'll do you well :(

17 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Whilst I think Pompey have made some good signings in the pre-season - Luke McGee looks a promising young goalkeeper and Brett Pitman has scored goals in the championship so will probably do well in League 1 - I do wonder why we are playing friendlies against such weak non league opposition ? We've beaten Bognor, Salisbury and H&W really easily and last night played Newport (IOW) - who my Dad used to play for incidentally - and beat them 8-0. I'm just surprised you get much at all from games like that apart from helping raise fitness and morale a bit.

I hope we're at least playing some League 2 or equivalent teams from other countries before the season starts. Maybe we are, and I'm just being lazy by not looking at our pre season fixture list ;)

We have done the same - I think it's a few reasons why. The bigger clubs now play out of the UK in tournaments and exhibition matches - we'd often get a top flight side in the late 80s, early to mid 90s but not now. Man Utd go off to the USA and play Chelsea now for mega-bucks. Also, you can give your entire squad much more match time and it is only about getting match fit - play 4 games in a week against local amateur teams and all the squad can get 2 hours in. We're only playing Cardiff City as Neil Warnock lives just over the water in Cornwall (his wife and kids are there - his kids aren't that old considering his age) so he always brings his teams down here and always arranges a game against Plymouth.

After the Cardiff game tomorrow, we're going to Holland for a training camp and will play some Dutch sides.

Best team we've played in living memory was Real Madrid in Austira. 

• 2 weeks later...

One week to go.

The Cardiff friendly ended up 0-1 to Cardiff City. I must say, I was impressed with their away following - they had over 500 in the away end for a 7pm Friday kick off. I wasn't too impressed with Cardiff City as a team though; typical Warnock side who seemed more interested in not letting a goal in, they allowed us so much possession and we had most of the best chances in a fairly slow paced game. We looked good with the ball but lacked something up front; we've got an injury to our main striker at the moment so had to play a few out of position. It was well attended, 5,500.

We were supposed to play a few friendlies in Holland but the police and the local Mayors over there didn't allow either of the two games to go ahead so they played behind closed doors. FC Twente beat us 3-0. 

Two former players are on trial with Exeter City; Tyler Harvey and Ryan Brunt. @Carlos Valderrama - Tyler Harvey is a clever player who likes to play football so he'll probably fit in with Tisdale but Brunt's the one, if you keep him injury free, that could do very well for you. He's a very good target man - reminds me a bit of Steve Flack (not sure if he was before your time) and he'll give everything on the pitch. Harvey is more like a non-prolific Jamie Cureton. 

Looking at League 1, Blackburn Rovers have an obscene squad in terms of wages. They've got to be favourites however, I think every team playing them will target that game as a highlight so every team will really want to beat them. 

Our first home game is Charlton Athletic. Our first game is away at Peterborough.

Yeah a week to go. Good luck everyone. Have a good season.

Pompey beat Crawley away 2-1 in a friendly. Brett Pitman got both the goals. Let's hope he carries his pre season form into the league campaign. Being made captain doesn't seem to have fazed him much either. Looks like a leader out on the pitch which is great.

There's a lot of games to be played in August and September so, as usual in L1 and L2, it's those with the biggest squad depth that will prosper.

On 7/29/2017 at 07:09, neoELITE said:

Our first game is away at Peterborough.

You'll pay for that Dr Evil quote my friend, oh yes you will*

* you probably won't - we've looked wildly inconsistent in pre-season and totally unable to keep a clean sheet.

I was toying with the idea of getting Red membership at Arsenal but instead today I've become a Sutton Utd season ticket holder.  I thought Leyton O would bring a few fans today and they did, but they were pretty quickly deflated.  Craig Dundas has slimmed down some and put in a shift - he seems to have been here forever.  Quite a few ex Arsenal youth too.  I have to say I don't know much about the National League runners and riders this season but doubtless will learn as I go along.

Our first game back in League 2 was a 2-1 defeat at Peterborough. We almost equalised near the end but apparently, the Peterborough goalie played a blinder. 11 corners with nothing to show for it and our main striker Ryan Taylor went off injured after 20 minutes - that's bad news as we are really light up front. I suppose it could've been worse. Yeovil lost 8-2 at Luton Town in League 2. Good start for Exeter City winning at home.

Fleetwood are top of League 1 because they won and because of the alphabet.

I've read a few eye witness accounts of our defeat and it was mainly positive from the travelling fans. Our team had a 14 hour journey to Peterborough the day before the game. The officials were standard too - I thought League 1 would mean better referees and linesmen but apparently not.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Our first game back in League 2 was a 2-1 defeat at Peterborough. We almost equalised near the end but apparently, the Peterborough goalie played a blinder. 11 corners with nothing to show for it and our main striker Ryan Taylor went off injured after 20 minutes - that's bad news as we are really light up front. I suppose it could've been worse. Yeovil lost 8-2 at Luton Town in League 2. Good start for Exeter City winning at home.

Fleetwood are top of League 1 because they won and because of the alphabet.

I've read a few eye witness accounts of our defeat and it was mainly positive from the travelling fans. Our team had a 14 hour journey to Peterborough the day before the game. The officials were standard too - I thought League 1 would mean better referees and linesmen but apparently not.

You're in League 1 mate. I know it's hard to believe ;) The official Pompey Twitter feed made the same mistake before the Rochdale game yesterday.

I'm pleased we got off to a winning start, despite both sides getting a man sent off. Lee Probert was refereeing though so I'm surprised the game didn't end with 8 a side. Brett Pitman's first goal was quality, nice header for the second too. I have a feeling he is too good for this level and is gonna prosper this season. Obviously, consistency is key though and we'll see how he deals with a dry spell.

1 minute ago, Coltrane said:

You're in League 1 mate. I know it's hard to believe ;) The official Pompey Twitter feed made the same mistake before the Rochdale game yesterday.

I'm pleased we got off to a winning start, despite both sides getting a man sent off. Lee Probert was refereeing though so I'm surprised the game didn't end with 8 a side. Brett Pitman's first goal was quality, nice header for the second too. I have a feeling he is too good for this level and is gonna prosper this season. Obviously, consistency is key though and we'll see how he deals with a dry spell.

I think my brain got so used to typing League 2 :lol:

Pitman is a quality signing. Whittingham at Blackburn is another.

6 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Pitman is a quality signing. Whittingham at Blackburn is another.

Yeah he is. Making him captain is a shrewd move as well I think. Interesting that Jackett's bought Drew Talbot back in from the cold. Cook didn't rate him at all and, to be fair, nor do most of the fans! But he did great when he came in covering at left back. Bold move considering how well Kal Naismith did for us last season.

Not seen Whittingham. I have a feeling Blackburn might start slowly but I would expect to be thereabouts at the end of the season with their squad.

I think from these highlights, we desperately need a striker. Their second goal was a bit dodgy and their first was a wicked deflection. I'm quite confident now I've seen this. On the radio it sounded like we were rubbish.

It was a fairly even game @neoELITE, you guys edged the first half but we were pretty much in control of the 2nd half until your goal funnily enough (scored on the break) - then the last 10 mins you threw everything at us to be fair. We did miss some glorious chances ourselves though - your goalkeeper made a couple of really good saves to keep it at 2-0 - when I think a third would have totally killed you. It's really odd, but the best saves he made aren't even in the highlights you posted above!

Your fans seemed very upset with the ref, but to be honest I'm not sure why - he got most calls right. I think our second was the main reason, but it was hardly a clear cut foul - certainly one that sometimes you get, sometimes you don't. Our player was just a bit stronger.

You'll do alright, but you will need something up front IMO. And your manager is a bit of a card - ranting and raving up and down the touchline from pretty much the first whistle!

2 hours ago, rgraves said:

It was a fairly even game @neoELITE, you guys edged the first half but we were pretty much in control of the 2nd half until your goal funnily enough (scored on the break) - then the last 10 mins you threw everything at us to be fair. We did miss some glorious chances ourselves though - your goalkeeper made a couple of really good saves to keep it at 2-0 - when I think a third would have totally killed you. It's really odd, but the best saves he made aren't even in the highlights you posted above!

Your fans seemed very upset with the ref, but to be honest I'm not sure why - he got most calls right. I think our second was the main reason, but it was hardly a clear cut foul - certainly one that sometimes you get, sometimes you don't. Our player was just a bit stronger.

You'll do alright, but you will need something up front IMO. And your manager is a bit of a card - ranting and raving up and down the touchline from pretty much the first whistle!

Thanks for that post. It is appreciated. Derek Adams isn't (or hasn't) been that type of manager with us but he had a bit of a reputation in Scotland. I think our fans were upset at the second goal and also your striker falling over all the time - that's the reports I've read anyway. As for our keeper, he'd probably be a Premier League keeper right now if he hadn't ended up in prison. There's no way he'd be with us if he hadn't been.

First home game is Saturday against Charlton Athletic. Really looking forward to that one as I've seen Charlton many times over the years as a friend of mine used to live up the road from their old ground.