IGNORED

League 1, 2, Non-League and any other League (inc Sunday League) 2017-18

neoELITE

28 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

also your striker falling over all the time - that's the reports I've read anyway.

That'll be Marcus Maddison - he's not technically a striker, plays behind the front two. He does certainly go to ground easy, even the home fans cringe a bit sometimes, but he's also really talented and can create goals from almost nothing. I think your lot had identified him as a danger man - because as easy as he goes down, he was certainly the target of a few meaty challenges as well. He's also made a rather unsavory accusation that one of your players spat at him during the game as well. Not sure what (if anything) will come of that.

I can absolutely understand how opposition fans would hate him - as I said, he doesn't take much to keel over and do a triple falco on the way down - but if he stayed on his feet and was strong as an ox he'd not be playing for us in League One either. Bit like your keeper I guess - he's a flawed gem lol.

Apparently Gary Roberts, one of Pompeys best players the last two  seasons, has left the club. I can only think that he just wasn't in KJ's plans and maybe is consider not good enough for League 1. Also, there are doubts about his fitness as he was often substituted early in matches last season (around 60-65 mins).

So not that surprising I guess. He'll probably show up at Wigan soon on a free. Paul Cook seems to like signing him for the clubs he's managed.

Round of National league fixtures tonight - some massive travelling distances in this league with the inclusion of Torquay, Barrow, Gateshead and Dover covering all corners of England (and Wrexham ;)).  Not so bad tonight - Sutton are at Eastleigh and Wrexham travel to Maidenhead.  Sutton were very poor on their travels last season without the benefit of the 4G pitch so it remains to be seen if they can up their game on grass this time around.

Strange to think the next fixture is Tranmere away - doesn't seem like 20+ years ago when John Aldridge and Co were knocking on the doors of the Premier League.

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Round of National league fixtures tonight - some massive travelling distances in this league with the inclusion of Torquay, Barrow, Gateshead and Dover covering all corners of England (and Wrexham ;)).  Not so bad tonight - Sutton are at Eastleigh and Wrexham travel to Maidenhead.  Sutton were very poor on their travels last season without the benefit of the 4G pitch so it remains to be seen if they can up their game on grass this time around.

Strange to think the next fixture is Tranmere away - doesn't seem like 20+ years ago when John Aldridge and Co were knocking on the doors of the Premier League.

We signed a guy called Tommy Tynan from Newport County many years ago and he ended up being our record goalscorer and, when we signed him, Newport offered us a young man called John Aldridge too but we turned them down. Idiots!

It's the EFL cup games tonight and we went 3-0 down away at Bristol City in just under 20 minutes :lol:

Why our manager has picked a few key players to start in that fiasco of a game is beyond me.

@Coltrane we could do with Roberts as Ryan Taylor was stretchered off last Saturday and is now in plaster. That leaves us Nathan Blisset who we signed from Torquay last season and two academy lads or playing people out of position. He'd never sign for us mind. I think he'll be at Wigan too. I like him as a player as he's one of those that opposition fans worry about and abuse.

As I type this, we've just let in goal number 4. Geddon bheys!

On 7/6/2017 at 06:07, neoELITE said:

There's a 12 page thread on our unofficial fans forum on the main board. Rickie Lambert (will he sign)? It's quite funny. Lambert is apparently unwanted at Cardiff City and Neil Warnock is at Cardiff City. Warnock once managed Plymouth Argyle and his family home is just over the river in East Cornwall. The local press have picked up on the forum rumour and it seems to have created a vicious, self-perpetuating circle of rumours that is growing and sustaining itself. It's hilarious as Lambert is allegedly on £25k a week at Cardiff City (I have no idea who would know that) and is under contract. A loan deal is the rumour. I really want to send a link to Rickie Lambert as it'd probably make his Summer to read that a small club (some of the fans think because we sometimes take 800 away fans to places like Stevenage, we're up there with Man Utd) at the arse end of the country think we should offer him no more than £2,000 a week as he's a prima donna and a has-been and would not be guaranteed a starting place as the number 9 here just because he played for Liverpool once.

One of our better signings in the Summer was a centre half from Morecombe:lol:

Some fans are completely mental. 

Maybe he'll end up at Billericay instead:  https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4200957/jermaine-pennant-billericay-town-interview/

£3k a week for 3 years. That's ridiculous - how can a 7th tier club afford that? It's £11 to get in on the most expensive admission price. They can't expect 1,000+ people to turn up every home game to watch Jermaine Pennant surely.

First home game today. I'm wearing my lucky Luigi hat (so lucky, whenever I wear it, we lose). I am hoping to break the hoodoo. I am actually expecting to lose as we have one recognised striker available and we're playing Charlton; we lost heavily in midweek away at Bristol City and we lost our opener at Peterborough too - we've scored one in those two games. We were dominant in League 2 but this is quite a step up and the new recruits haven't impressed too much in pre-season or in the last two. I think we'll be lucky to end up mid table to be frank. I'm usually optimistic at the start of a season but I have an inkling that we may end up in a relegation scrap. We desperately need a striker before the transfer window shuts but it's one of those in demand positions and our budget is laughably small.

Just back. We beat Charlton 2-0. Great away attendance from the London lot. Charlton passed us out of the game in the first half and we tried the counter attack, kick and rush from the first minute and it was obvious it was not working. They should have scored at least three in that 45 minutes. Our keeper made a World Class double save on the half hour mark that got a standing ovation from the 10,000 home fans - it was wonderful. The Charlton number 9 was imposing and had chance after chance but couldn't score. In the second half, we sat off them and they ran out of ideas and we scored from a set piece - a cushion header down to Jake Jervis who didn't bother turning, he just back heeled it in :) second goal clinched it and it was a counter attack and once again, Jervis got the goal. It was a terrific game that flew by. The officials were terrible. Charlton were very good and we were very lucky to get the three points today. 

lol brilliant defending.

Don't know what happened to Portsmouth yesterday but we got absolutely thumped by Oxford.I think our disallowed goal was a turning point. Looks like it should have stood but I can see why it wasn't given as well.

Never mind, it's all early days and about acclimatising. Oxford were one of the better League 1 teams last year so it was always going to be a big ask to go there and get a result with the quality of their players.

First half was pretty even overall, neither side really looked that dangerous going forward and it was all a bit cagey. Second half I think a few of your players faded and that opened up some space for our attacking mids to exploit and the chances started coming.

You had a lot of possession at times but it wasn't really translating into chances. Defensively you looked pretty solid though, just needed a bit more creativity going forward.

We had a couple of new signings make their debut, our left back Ricardinho (first Brazilian at the club!). Barring a little nervousness at the start he looked very comfortable and had a good touch. Van Kessel who scored our second wasn't really on long enough to judge but a great finish, seems to have pace, and looks pretty strong. Gives us another option up front or on the wing.

Overall a good performance, if we can keep playing like that I'm optimistic for the season.

4 hours ago, Chawkso said:

First half was pretty even overall, neither side really looked that dangerous going forward and it was all a bit cagey. Second half I think a few of your players faded and that opened up some space for our attacking mids to exploit and the chances started coming.

You had a lot of possession at times but it wasn't really translating into chances. Defensively you looked pretty solid though, just needed a bit more creativity going forward.

We had a couple of new signings make their debut, our left back Ricardinho (first Brazilian at the club!). Barring a little nervousness at the start he looked very comfortable and had a good touch. Van Kessel who scored our second wasn't really on long enough to judge but a great finish, seems to have pace, and looks pretty strong. Gives us another option up front or on the wing.

Overall a good performance, if we can keep playing like that I'm optimistic for the season.

I will add you to the thread OP but are you an Oxford fan?

5 hours ago, Chawkso said:

Sounds like a fair assessment, thanks. Yeah I would agree that we probably do lack a bit of creativity going forward. Last season, Gary Roberts used to be the player who would make something happen when we needed it. Unfortunately, he's gone now though and his type of player isn't easy to replace.

I still think we will have a decent season and finish top half of the table but we started last season fairly slowly and ended up winning the league so I'm not that bothered at the moment. We won't really know who the strongest sides are in the division properly until at least a quarter of the fixtures have been played and the league has settled down a bit.

Yeah we're only a couple of games into the season and I'm sure some of your fans (much like ours last season when we got off to a mixed start) will start throwing around hyperbolic statements. Sheffield didn't win a game until 6 games in last year I think, and they went up.

From what I saw you played decent stuff, so I don't think anyone needs to be reaching for the panic button.

Top of the league! Even though it's League Two I've lowered my non-existant expectations accordingly so to score five and concede none in two wins is a magic start. Our first at Grimsby on Saturday was marred (not really) in controversy (ish)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10986510/watch-coventry-city-capitalise-on-back-pass-against-grimsby?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+srn%2Fskysports%2FpAdw+(Sky+Sports+|++News)

I see no problem, other than the fact they trusted Nathan Clarke to do something right. Grimsby claimed that the defender was passing the ball back for the keeper to take the kick, but if that's the case you leave it and walk off or even pick it up rather than play the ball, especially as he moves to take it just before.

Tonight we pulled back a 0-2 deficit to draw with the Champions of England and went on to win the penalty shoot out. The Chelsea boys* took one hell of a beating. I am ashamed to say that almost 4000 turned up to watch it this evening (helped a lot by kids being free entry).

I would imagine a lot of games saw mass boycotts of this stupid competition. Sadly, our club, who voted against the changes to the Checkatrade trophy didn't do what they should have done and fielded the youth team and taken the £5k fine (we risked some proper 1st team players). I see absolutely nothing positive about this competition. We have Exeter City in this competition but there's no way I'm going. I would have if the EFL hadn't allowed Premier League and Championship under 23 sides. It's just shite and it's an insidious way of opening the debate for B teams (like there is in Spain) to be a part of League 2 and League 1. If the Premier League want that, they have more than enough money to create a proper reserve league.

*literally, a 16 year old scored both the Chelsea goals. 

Match report: Sutton Utd 2 - Macclesfield Town 1 

Back to reality for the yellows after the segregation of the big away following and the TV cameras for the Leyton match.  Tonight the more usual mini-van number of away supporters and, bizarrely, no ball boys.  Always a nice intense atmosphere under the lights though.  

A strange match scoring wise - the Silkmen with a lovely strike for the first attempt on goal on 2 minutes, then an immense amount of huffing and puffing by the home team, with the keeper pulling off some decent saves to deny them in the first half.  The second half saw  hotly disputed disallowed goal (is there any other kind when there is no instant video replay available), before 2 great goals in 2 minutes on 85 and 86.  Cue absolute pandemonium :omg: 

We seem to be tucked into second in the league at the moment after Aldershot who lead the way after a couple of cricket scores.  Thumping win for Bromley over Leyton tonight too.

Next Chester (a).

A small part of me enjoyed seeing Orient getting hammered 6-1. It reminds me of some of our dark days down there, Lewes and Droylsden away spring to mind pretty quickly.

Also, Hull have bid £1m for Marvin Johnson, which our chairman turned down straight away. Then rumours surfaced of Marvin asking the manager to leave, which haven't been confirmed. If he does want out it's a shame, as on his day he is superb. He hasn't even been in the club 12 months...! If he really does want out, Eales (our chairman) will get a good price for him, and let him sweat while we get it. He's still got 2 years + an option left on his contract. 

And a league 1 club have bid for Nelson, which our chairman has turned down too. He won't leave for anyone in this division, bar Blackburn (I think), and it would be for very silly money. He's been made club captain, and is fricking brilliant, as I'm sure @neoELITE will testify too!

1 hour ago, Tomox said:

A small part of me enjoyed seeing Orient getting hammered 6-1. It reminds me of some of our dark days down there, Lewes and Droylsden away spring to mind pretty quickly.

Also, Hull have bid £1m for Marvin Johnson, which our chairman turned down straight away. Then rumours surfaced of Marvin asking the manager to leave, which haven't been confirmed. If he does want out it's a shame, as on his day he is superb. He hasn't even been in the club 12 months...! If he really does want out, Eales (our chairman) will get a good price for him, and let him sweat while we get it. He's still got 2 years + an option left on his contract. 

And a league 1 club have bid for Nelson, which our chairman has turned down too. He won't leave for anyone in this division, bar Blackburn (I think), and it would be for very silly money. He's been made club captain, and is fricking brilliant, as I'm sure @neoELITE will testify too!

I watched him play, probably about 120 games, maybe more. Sadly, he was forced into the first 11 as Peter Reid (our manager at the time during admin) had no funds to bring anyone in so he was launched into that first team aged just 17 and then hardly missed a game until he moved to Oxford United. He's very quick, he's physically strong and he is a proper defender. I'm not sure how much he's developed since but the one thing really lacking in his game was his passing - it wasn't terrible but in almost every match, he'd try and play the ball out of defence and his pass would be a complete howler; at least once a game.

I've heard rumours that Curtis is being looked at by Leeds United. I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave for a Championship side as he has all the attributes.

We have a sell-on clause in his contract that's reportedly 20% (possibly 30%) so obviously, I hope he moves to Leeds United for £5m :) 

We took quite a while finding someone to fill his shoes when he left and we still lack pace at the back in the squad. I miss our captain fantastic and it was a real shame we didn't seem to want to build a squad around him (our current manager seems to just like midfielders and wingers). 248 games and he's not even 25 years old yet. We picked him up from Stoke City as they released him as a kid so he isn't local but he always seemed to be very much a Plymouth lad.

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Looking at that National League - there's a lot of ex-League clubs who are in for a very tough season. 

I think there's not as much between the teams this season at the bottom and the top. We could well see small budget ex league sides like Torquay and Chester ending up in the bottom four. For Leyton Orient. it's all about putting the previous owner behind them and steadying the ship, they'll be pleased with mid table. Hartlepool looked terrible on the tele the other day and they've gambled with a manager from the Welsh league , but tighten up at the back and they'll be fine. They've got a couple of decent strikers for this level, so I'm sure goals won't be an issue.

Wrexham have been rubbish to watch so far, but have 6 points. We're defensively sound, but lacking creativity in midfield and strikers to stick goals into nets  Plenty of grumbles about wrong formations and tactics that aren't getting the best out of our players from our fans.

I'm sure Tranmere will be up there with Aldershot and the mighty Sutton United soon.

@Fatsam I have a soft spot for Torquay as quite regularly if Plymouth were away, I'd take the train with my Dad to go and watch them - it was only an hour and a bit, a couple of quid to get there and get in and it's a lovely little club. We also went to Exeter sometimes but made sure we didn't talk about Argyle :)

Halifax and Chester and Torquay are going to struggle - I'm probably a bit older but those three were solid lower league teams when I was a kid. What's happened to Stockport County?

Stockport seem to have been bumbling along mid table since they got relegated, but the National League North is really difficult to get out of. Generally tougher than the South one I think. Salford and York have spent huge amounts of money and have very good players for that level, so it's not going to be any easier for them this season. Nice to see our ex manager Kevin Wilkin topping the league with Brackley though. Got a bit of a rough deal with us, but he's got some management skills for sure. Dead good in the transfer market. 

Stockport still have no money, but at least they are not losing it hand over fist.  They are doing good community work and pulling in decent crowds for the level but as mentioned, there are a few big clubs at this level, FC United,York and Salford. Then you have Harrogate, Telford and Kidderminster who are reasonably sized.  So not easy to get out of the division.

First managerial casualty of the season. Kevin Nicholson sacked after 4 games at Torquay:facepalm:

One of these games was away at league leaders Aldershot.:facepalm:

In one of those games they got a point against title favourites Tranmere :facepalm:

Nadir Ciftci to join Plymouth Argyle on loan according to rumours (and also rumours coming from his agent Pierre Van Hooijdonk) - a new low for us (sorry).

I obviously went straight to Youtube and was impressed - he's a complete handful. On our forums, people are labelling him a shit Diego Costa. His general conduct seems to be rather suspect. 

Here he is biting a Dundee player on the kneecap.

_83216080_ciftci.jpg

Here's a quote from one of our forum posters.

This guy looks a complete pain in the ass who could wreck our dressing room. Sendings off. Arrogant behaviour. Biting opponents. Forearm smash on an opponent. Accused of kicking an opponent in the head. 2 yellows within 30 seconds. Assaulting a linesman. Involved in a brawl in his last loan. £6000 fine for serious abuse of a referee. Even a 97mph motoring conviction. Currently frozen out to play for reserves at a Celtic. Hope this goes tits up and he goes elsewhere.

I think we're too nice half the time and we've got a 6ft 3 striker as our only real option at the moment who is a big lump of a man but so tame. I'm actually quite excited by this. Celtic paid £1.5m for him but perhaps that's because they can and it meant he then couldn't play for Dundee United who were theirs rival at the time. I think this could either way -he'll become a cult hero and have an amazing season with us (that's if we do sign him on Monday) or he'll come down to Plymouth and do something really stupid and end up being sent back to Scotland under a cloud.