rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Boardgaming meet up

From the now playing thread, we should meet and play board games all day for one or two days centrally- Birmingham or somewhere.

Spitballing here- how's August for people? I was thinking late, possibly the last weekend or first weekend in September?

If we can get a date we can then confirm a location then numbers, then take it from there.

• Upvote 2

4th - 8th September I'm in Aberdeen so would rather not travel the weekend before or after but any other time I'd be fine - would just need to clear the date with the other half in advance so she can book hols. 

I'm away from the 10th to 25th of August so that sat/sun should be OK for me. 

I'm up for two days but no idea how to organise that. Do we find a cheap travelodge and commandeer a conference room? :blink:

9 hours ago, LaParka said:

I'm away from the 10th to 25th of August so that sat/sun should be OK for me. 

I'm up for two days but no idea how to organise that. Do we find a cheap travelodge and commandeer a conference room? :blink:

In my experience it's easier to ask well lit quiet pubs if any of them have a room we can use. If we did use a travelodge-esque place we'd just commandeer their dining/drinking area.

Also if we had the numbers but the distances were too great, we could have a northern meet and southern meet. Finally I only said a weekend because I assume people work during the week. I've got the summer holidays soon, so any day is usually fine then.

If I can make it I'd be interested; if not I can probably look after Panda's bunnies so he can go at least :)

Once the date is fixed I'll consult the wife. There's an MTG event in Birmingham that month that I'm already going to, so hopefully it doesn't clash with that. (11-13 August)

• Upvote 1

Let's look at the facts so far:

1. You plan to meet in Birmingham.

2. You plan on possibly meeting in September.

3. Most of you play video games as well.

4. As video gamers so of you may be going to the Eurogamer Expo.

5. The Expo is being held in Birmingham.

Could you not tie the two together? Some of you may already be going to the Expo and you could board game in the evenings. Just a thought as there may be some forum members that may not travel to Birmingham just for board gaming, but could be visiting the Expo and staying over that may be up for it.

Apologies for jumping in and hijacking the thread with possible crackpot ideas when as much as I'd love to, I'm too antisocial / autistic to be attending any meet ups myself!

I would rather have a separate session personally since Expo is going to be at best a one day event for me (last year I couldn't be bothered at all).

Of course, this could be a good solution for others.

Any dates in mind for this? :wub:

Little one is heading away for the Summer next week, so all my August weekends are free. Due to come back the first weekend in September which would rule that weekend out, but could do anything after that too.

Now obviously this didn't happen last year, but my wife's out the country in a few weeks and I've got the house to myself, and so I'm happy to host a boardgaming meetup here in York, between the 25th and 29th July (not all that time though- that'd be crazy!). I've room for people to sleep over and if loads of people want to come then there's even a pub over the road where we can play if we need extra tables etc.

• Upvote 4