IGNORED

SNES Mini

deKay

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Amazing. Think I’ll be swapping a few of the ones I’ll never play.

Does doing this delete any saves from the other games on there? Is it easy to go back to the original line up if you need to?

You can't swap anything as such, the originals will always be there so you can't reclaim that space - they'll just be hidden at best, I believe.

No saves are lost, and you can (and should) back up your entire thing before starting and revert to that, or revert to an out-of-the-box setup entirely.

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I remember people were compiling top 10s of games missing from the SNES Mini, but I can't seem to find them back in this thread.

Where were they again?

There really aren't many glaring omissions, so just search a top 50 games and see if there's anything you fancy. Super Tennis, Chrono Trigger, Mario All-Stars are the only real essentials I'd say. Pilotwings has a lot of love and I can see why some are surprised that's not in the default list but I don't miss it.

Just added the following if you're looking for inspiration, looks great with the proper box art for each:

The Firemen (Seems to have sound issues)

Earthworm Jim 2 (Definite sound issues)

Final Fight 3

Harvest Moon

Joe & Mac

Joe & Mac 2

Mortal Kombat 2

Plok!

Super Smash TV

Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Super Street Fighter 2

Turtles in Time

Zombies Ate My Neighbours

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Any program for hacking out there for us Mac users?

If it's the same as the NES Mini then there won't be and you'll have to use VirtualBox or something similar and use Windows. Couldn't be arsed modding it because of that but I might see if I can borrow a mate's laptop to do it with this.

I've been curating, and end up binning off most games. It's be such a waste to add things that'll be played once or twice ever at most - Super Smash TV being a case in point. Seems a bit of fun at first but it quickly becomes tedious and that's before you spend the best part of ten minutes slowly whittling down Mutoid Man.

43 minutes ago, stefcha said:

There really aren't many glaring omissions, so just search a top 50 games and see if there's anything you fancy. Super Tennis, Chrono Trigger, Mario All-Stars are the only real essentials I'd say. Pilotwings has a lot of love and I can see why some are surprised that's not in the default list but I don't miss it.

There are a few - DKC 2 (better than the first) and 3 are big ommissions, and Mortal Kombat is always a good time, even with the SNES censorship. Aladdin has aged really well too, although it's still hard as nails.

I've added those, and Secret of Mana 2 (fan translated) plus the essentials you mentioned already. 

Cybernator is great too.

Edit: and NHL 94! Still the best hockey game and 2 player SNES game ever made.

10 minutes ago, Mafro said:

If it's the same as the NES Mini then there won't be and you'll have to use VirtualBox or something similar and use Windows. Couldn't be arsed modding it because of that but I might see if I can borrow a mate's laptop to do it with this.

Ulp, will have to do the same I think! Thanks for the explain.

31 minutes ago, Isaac said:

There are a few - DKC 2 (better than the first) and 3 are big ommissions, and Mortal Kombat is always a good time, even with the SNES censorship. Aladdin has aged really well too, although it's still hard as nails.

I've added those, and Secret of Mana 2 (fan translated) plus the essentials you mentioned already. 

Cybernator is great too.

Edit: and NHL 94! Still the best hockey game and 2 player SNES game ever made.

I'm not having Aladdin, it's not great. Bit floaty and imprecise, far prefer the Megadrive one. Cybernator looks the part and controls perfectly on the original SNES pad but it feels a bit aimless, and that second level flying through the asteroid field is unpleasant.

NHL I was going to pick one, even though the SNES versions were always not quite as good as the MD ones. I had '95 on cart (might still, could never get rid of the damn thing) but never had as much love for it as '94 that I had on MD. Was surprised to see it got as far as NHL '98 on SNES! Maybe picking earlier sports games might be better, they tended to overcomplicate the later they went on just to appear new, the first steps in the sad decline of sports games from becoming fun games to attempting to be more and more realistic and tediously so.

A few resources that might be useful... first up, the all-new(ish) rllmuk recommended games list! Bit sparse on the SNES front but despite that it's a pretty superb list, so have a think before adding all and sundry to it just because it's something you like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xq95YBSwNLrD6zbJiMkkSCCReTLuHukFOLEHjDg9nXk/edit#gid=1585226638

Or here's a recently compiled reddit top 100

SNES Classic compatibility list, again sourced from this reddit thread:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/htmlview?sle=true

Once more from reddit, bunch of covers someone's been collating based on the above top 100 list, some of the things Hakchi comes up with off of the google image search aren't perfect:

https://imgur.com/a/Y0NIY

Case in point is Chrono Trigger which has nothing but awful results on google, so here's that one specifically in case you can't be arsed pulling them all from the above:

https://imgur.com/a/OYUc0

Hopefully some of this will help @PC Master Race tidy up his covers a bit :hmm: 

9 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

When more games are added beyond the original set does the Mini still support three save state slots and play little gameplay clips while idle?

For added games, only if you have a saved state.

Just now, Fry Crayola said:

I'm noticing a lack of battery backup icons on those screenshots - are they still supported?

Not sure why they wouldn't be given that functionality (or not) is baked into the ROM? But regardless, it's just an option in a file that's not being set to update the icon to suit that's all.

4 hours ago, stefcha said:

Everyone has their own favourites though.   Its's not about some definitive list of classics.  Well not now you can put anything you like on there.