SNES Mini

deKay

47 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Hmm should i open my kids Christmas present and load it up with the rest of the classics or leave it vanilla?  I'm tempted to put a load of 2 player games on it so him and his brother can play. 

I'd say do it but pick and add a handful rather than a lot, otherwise they'll just end up with a huge list of stuff they can never concentrate on. Turtles IV, Super Tennis and Bomberman 2 might be a few good multiplayer additions.

28 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I'd say do it but pick and add a handful rather than a lot, otherwise they'll just end up with a huge list of stuff they can never concentrate on. Turtles IV, Super Tennis and Bomberman 2 might be a few good multiplayer additions.

Ok good idea, less is more - just the 2 player stuff and the missing mario game it is! 

43 minutes ago, stefcha said:

FWIW, Super Bomberman 3 is the best Super Bomberman, because it's most like the PC Engine versions. (Disclaimer: I've never played 4 or 5.)

I've put zombies and lost Vikings on mine. That's all I need extra; I'm instead using it as an opportunity to play all the included games I'd not played before (castlevania, Earthbound, secret of mana etc), rather than bunging on any old shite I used to own and would probably play once and go "wow, that's not aged well" before turning off, never to be touched again. 

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

FWIW, Super Bomberman 3 is the best Super Bomberman, because it's most like the PC Engine versions. (Disclaimer: I've never played 4 or 5.)

Yeah but 2 is the last US release isn't it? Or did 3 come out there too?

36 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Anyone got both this and the Raspberry Pi 3? How do they compare? Thinking about selling this and getting the Pi if it’s just as good. It’s good at PS1 games as well from what I’ve seen.

Got them both but prefer to use the mini. It’s just nicer to use, the interface is a bit snappier and the rewind function and multiple save states is great. But I’ll keep the Pi hooked up for Amiga, Neo Geo and Megadrive emu. 

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think the more games you add the less chance you'll have of fully enjoying the ones you have. Play the ones on there first, then add more. Don't just add them for the sake of it.

You know what would have been awesome? If it came with just a few games and a couple were added each week, somehow. It would have been really exciting.

Having too many games is a genuine problem these days. 

I got my snes for my 11th birthday. It was a Big Deal. It came with Street Fighter 2. I used birthday money to buy Super Ghouls n Ghosts. Now, my birthday is in January, so that's another 11 months until Christmas and the chance of more games which, as a kid, is an eternity. So you'd play what you had. Over and over, because what else was there?

Now I'm grown. I can buy whatever I want, whenever I want. This month alone, I've bought the SNES mini, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Bloodborne GotY edition, Divinity Original Sin 2, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Golf Story and maybe a couple of others. I've barely played any of them for any decent length. Some I may never go back to, despite the best intentions. We all do this. We refer to our "piles of shame", some a couple of hundred games long. Some played for hours, minutes or, in the worst cases, not at all. 

It kinda feels like that with the SNES mini. It's my 11th birthday again, except this time I've been given a snes with 21 games, and I can add as many more as I feel like for free. It's almost too much. So, as I said previously,  I've added zombies and lost vikings, both of which I own "for reals", and I'll be concentrating on earthbound,  secret of mana and castlevania. But I somehow feel those people adding 20, 30 or more games are doing themselves a disservice. I would be shocked if they played most of those additions for more than a few minutes. I think that's a real shame. 

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I assumed that modding the mini was not for me but if it retains all the original features and just lets you add roms then is there any reason not to do it? I also assume I need to do it on a windows pc, a surface should be fine shouldn’t it?

Yes a surface will be fine, if the usb3 port works with the software 

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Anyone got both this and the Raspberry Pi 3? How do they compare? Thinking about selling this and getting the Pi if it’s just as good. It’s good at PS1 games as well from what I’ve seen.

The pi is fantastic, it does all the systems you need, with all of the roms. It's amazing!

however the SNES classic feels lovely. The machine, the interface, the controller.

if you like your SNES, get both. Pi is cheap enough.

2 minutes ago, stefcha said:

You have to patch the PAL version to NTSC. Just use the Lunar IPS utility and the LoROM to NTSC file on the Sensible Soccer ROM.

https://evilgames.eu/snes-pal-to-ntsc.html

Or use RetroArch I guess. 

I've just added

--retroarch

to the end of the command line for my Sensi Soccer - International edition.

I might get around to playing it some time...

Finally got round to taking this out of the box today.

First thing I did was hack a few extra games onto it, before even plugging it in the telly !!!

Didn't add many, Actraiser, Chrono Trigger, Unirally, U.N Squadron, Shadowrun, Dracula X, Bomberman 2, Sunset Riders and a few others.

Had a great little hour or so playing it and even managed to enjoy Mario Kart more than I used to, it is now likely to sit next to the Retrofreak and the Pi, gathering dust though, I've got way too many games that I need to finish already and with Mario on the Switch less than 3 weeks away, I don't know where I am going to find the time to get through all this great software :P

12 hours ago, Timmo said:

do you have usb SNES pads that are as good as the original?

As the current state of SNES Mini hacking seems to be pretty reliable, I downloaded the new version of Hakchi (v2.20) but although my Norton Antivirus has no problem with the .zip file itself, It flags up & automatically deletes the extracted version.

Not really sure what to do now.  I doubt there really is a virus problem with it, but I don't really want to disable my Virus checker in case i'm wrong...

13 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I assumed that modding the mini was not for me but if it retains all the original features and just lets you add roms then is there any reason not to do it? I also assume I need to do it on a windows pc, a surface should be fine shouldn’t it?

It is worth it for the for the RESET function alone!

Simply hold DOWN and SELECT together on the joypad, and hey presto you are are back to the main screen - AWESOME! No more walking or stretching to get back tot he main menu