SNES Mini

deKay

6 minutes ago, Rorygamer said:

It is worth it for the for the RESET function alone!

Simply hold DOWN and SELECT together on the joypad, and hey presto you are are back to the main screen - AWESOME! No more walking or stretching to get back tot he main menu

and being able to customise the reset combo is a god-send

LB+RB+Start+Select fo' life, yo!

18 minutes ago, Jarik said:

As the current state of SNES Mini hacking seems to be pretty reliable, I downloaded the new version of Hakchi (v2.20) but although my Norton Antivirus has no problem with the .zip file itself, It flags up & automatically deletes the extracted version.

Not really sure what to do now.  I doubt there really is a virus problem with it, but I don't really want to disable my Virus checker in case i'm wrong...

Looks safe enough to me.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/77b0641f5cc7d166afa56cb06cf5d1a9a2f11fb9a68e3e7ba5be13e9d3d498ef/detection

13 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Got them both but prefer to use the mini. It’s just nicer to use, the interface is a bit snappier and the rewind function and multiple save states is great. But I’ll keep the Pi hooked up for Amiga, Neo Geo and Megadrive emu. 

There is a current "fully loaded" retropie  build out that pretty much copies the menu system of the minis but it has on it all the Nintendo consoles and "stuff" for them....

Youtube is your friend

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

and being able to customise the reset combo is a god-send

LB+RB+Start+Select fo' life, yo!

This makes me nervous because it could theoretically reset the game itself before sending you to the menu.

I'm totally on board with no modding. I've pretty much every SNES game ever that I keep inside my a hollowed out mac via very legal methods, but I just browse the catalogue and dip into the occasional game for a few moments. But it's like a magazine, you can't settle and read an article till you've browsed through it all. But the catalogue is too big to ever finish browsing and begin to commit.

The beauty of the Mini is that someone has made a highlight reel for me. I would have bounced of Castlevania IV in a second on a normal emulator because it looks like gash, and it is hard. But being on the Mini gives me the confidence to invest in it. And what do you know? I'm half way through and absolutely loving it. It's why best of albums are so successful.

58 minutes ago, Sane said:

This makes me nervous because it could theoretically reset the game itself before sending you to the menu.

I wondered about that - and wondered about missing the standard L+R+Start+Select functionality - but it seems to override it entirely and to be honest the standard feature on SNES isn't much use in modern times. And it's a moot point anyway because...

49 minutes ago, ulala said:

change it to down + select

... that's the default setting for it in the final 2.20 release even if you don't change it.

Kirby Super Star is so good. "Spring Breeze" is pretty much Dreamland Lite, but awesome and in colour and you can play with a second player (or helpful CPU ally). :wub: 

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm totally on board with no modding. I've pretty much every SNES game ever that I keep inside my a hollowed out mac via very legal methods, but I just browse the catalogue and dip into the occasional game for a few moments. But it's like a magazine, you can't settle and read an article till you've browsed through it all. But the catalogue is too big to ever finish browsing and begin to commit.

The beauty of the Mini is that someone has made a highlight reel for me. I would have bounced of Castlevania IV in a second on a normal emulator because it looks like gash, and it is hard. But being on the Mini gives me the confidence to invest in it. And what do you know? I'm half way through and absolutely loving it. It's why best of albums are so successful.

I think everyone interested in emulation has had that moment where they excitedly download a package of 50000 roms but then find themselves unable to settle on anything for five minutes :D I could hook my PC up to my TV, or (I dunno) put emulators on a PSP-2000 and use the component cable, but the SNES Mini is a much nicer package and I'm such a slacker with romset building that any attempt to install my own games would just lead to low-quality cover art, inaccurate dumps or compatibility issues, devaluing the whole experience.

I’ve loaded a bunch of games just to try them out more than anything, but I’m going to delete most of them and just keep a few extras. DKC 2 and 3, SMBA, Chrono Trigger. They have done a superb job with the original line up though, after looking through a bunch of top 10/20/50/100 lists, a fair few of the included games are at the top of them all.

5 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Quick query - was it fairly easy to do, does it work perfectly and exactly like before, just with a few extra games?

It's incredibly easy.

I did it in five mins, no tutorial nor outside help required. and I've never hacked, jailbroken, or gone off piste with ant hardware before..

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It's incredibly easy.

I did it in five mins, no tutorial nor outside help required. and I've never hacked, jailbroken, or gone off piste with ant hardware before..

What about human hardware? Albeit I guess that ant hardware is probably more fiddly...

1 hour ago, mywetpants said:

The CRT filter on the RP3 is so much better than on the mini. When you look close up, you can actually see each pixel is made up of RGB rather than greying out each alternate line.

I'm not too impressed by the CRT filter on the device... I don't have one of those line-doubler (upscaler?) devices for my retro consoles, unfortunately, but I'd hope that they give a far better picture than the filter provided by the Super NES Mini.

(I'm with grindmouse, wouldn't touch a Pi, couldn't get the one I had working at all and quickly sold it.)

28 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I'm not too impressed by the CRT filter on the device... I don't have one of those line-doubler (upscaler?) devices for my retro consoles, unfortunately, but I'd hope that they give a far better picture than the filter provided by the Super NES Mini.

(I'm with grindmouse, wouldn't touch a Pi, couldn't get the one I had working at all and quickly sold it.)

There is a Fidley mod to the SNES classic that removes the blur and just keeps the scan lines in crt mode.

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Everyone saying there’s no difference after hack, I’m sure mine takes a little longer to start up now, like 2 seconds more, nothing annoying, but still. 

Maybe I’m imagining it but it doesn’t matter anyway, you get those seconds back the first time you use the reset shortcut. 

Yes, the extra games add a couple of seconds to startup.

New version of the software out that increased compatibility with troubled roms and someone how reduces the amount of space the original games take up - 

v2.21b (internal version 2.0.21.32)
@ClusterM ClusterM released this 3 hours ago · 1 commit to stable since this release

What's new:

Better games compatibility for SNES Mini (updated database of preset IDs, better LoROM/HiROM detection).
Built in database of problem games, so hakchi2 will ask you to switch to 3rd party emulator automatically (e.g. RetroArch).
Original games are not using extra memory space anymore, so we have some extra space for additional games (thanks to DanTheMan827!)
"remove_thumbnails" mod no longer slows down SNES Mini's startup (thanks to brian91292!)
Bundled with new mod "snes_custom_filters" which allows to disable scanlines in CRT mode or enable bilinear filter in 4:3 mode. Please read mod description before install.
Bundled with new mod "extra_space". This is experimental mod for SNES Mini which moves your save-states data to unused partition of NAND flash. This partition is only 50MB in size but it will free some space for games because SNES Mini's save-states are huge. Please read mod description before install.
Bugfixes.

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases/tag/2.21

22 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Hey all - retroArch works pretty well. Boots everything I have thrown at it including problematic snes games.

New video

It looks like I downloaded the v2.20 Debug by mistake so whenever I follow your video it loads the retroarch emulators as if they were games and they appear in the games list. I'm going to take this as a sign that it's time to stop loading new games onto the system, there are plenty on their already and Terranigma can wait.