SNES Mini

deKay

Just now, Goose said:

If I want to install the newer version of the software, do I need to put my SNES Mini back to factory and start again (with the new software)? 

No you don't have to put you might need to just start from a fresh. I'd back up any save games though,  just in case they get deleted. ( save game isn't available in the debug AFAIK). 

Just now, ulala said:

I think you just need to install the new kernal?

So I'd just connect the SNES mini, add games, and then re-sync? I'm concerned It'll back up the kernal again, but it'll be backing up the modded kernal. 

7 minutes ago, Goose said:

If I want to install the newer version of the software, do I need to put my SNES Mini back to factory and start again (with the new software)? 

Yeah, but copy the three folders

/dump

/config

/snes_games

Into the new install. Should be good to go

8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Not really.

You can't leave it plugged in without pissing about installing a switch, which I wouldnt be comfortable leaving on permanently given the shoddiness of the hardware. 

The Retroarch UI is slick but all too easily falls away into a labyrinth of unintelligible options menus, or worse, the DOS prompt.

Game playback is unreliable. I had to fit a fan to mine to stop it overheating and crashing, but even afterwards I get the odd random crash or accidentally hit select + ? on the pad and quit the game, bringing a half hour playthrough of Turtles in Time to an end.

It's not an ideal scenario and the SNES mini is reliable and user-friendly by comparison.

PI Shoddiness? I have both a 1&2 at home, both are on 24/7 as they use so little electricity, it was better than turning off and on.  The 2 which is my main livingroom unit runs OSMC (a fork of Kodi) with an Lakka on the menu (a fork of Retropie) which I can select, boot into and run with my 8bitdo controller.

Never needed a fan, are you overclocking or trying to get N64 running on it?

As for quitting, change that mapping to something more complex? I forget exactly what mine is without checking but it never gets triggered by accident.

Was my main console this time last year whilst my other things were shipping across the world, played though many a game on many platforms without any issues.

Though I do have a Mini Snes now with added roms and really dig it, will keep Lakka and the PI for other systems, with the Snes just for it's own games.

31 minutes ago, clumpyjamie said:

With Hakchi, does anyone know how to get scanlines without the blurry bilinear filtering? I saw something on it somewhere but can't find it again.

Apparently you add the following in the global command line argument:

-filter 2 -magfilter 0

I've not tried it myself yet...

I got the hack to work & added my games, though I did forget to enable the Home Menu shortcut.  Apparently I can just reconnect to my PC without doing the Reset trick & fix that oversight.

All the games I added work perfectly, & I love how even the "My Gameplay Demo" works on the added games (not the Standard Demo though, so I've disabled that) as it serves a handy reminder of exactly what I was last doing in each game.

"Hmm...so that's what I was doing in Brinstar when I left off...I need to head further down next."

And

"Geez, my approach to that level in Actraiser sucked.  Why did I keep jumping into those enemies?"

Well my Amazon Prime Now order from earlier has just arrived.

I can't believe how small and dinky it is. It's gorgeous. I've gone from it being a nice to have to knowing full well that I'd buy a proper Megadrive, PC Engine, Neo Geo version of it in a heartbeat. Absolutely lovely thing.

I now NEED to get a NES Mini. I'm very close to thinking fuck it and pressing the Buy Now Button on Amazon at £215.

35 minutes ago, ahsoka said:

Well my Amazon Prime Now order from earlier has just arrived.

I can't believe how small and dinky it is. It's gorgeous. I've gone from it being a nice to have to knowing full well that I'd buy a proper Megadrive, PC Engine, Neo Geo version of it in a heartbeat. Absolutely lovely thing.

I now NEED to get a NES Mini. I'm very close to thinking fuck it and pressing the Buy Now Button on Amazon at £215.

i was in that position, however nintendo are re-releasing them next year!

2 hours ago, Jarik said:

I got the hack to work & added my games, though I did forget to enable the Home Menu shortcut.  Apparently I can just reconnect to my PC without doing the Reset trick & fix that oversight.

It's enabled as standard, although the default is down+select from v2.20 onwards in case you're trying something else.