SNES Mini

deKay

1 minute ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

He's right, it's £63 cash. £90 voucher. Dunno what it was before for cash.

As someone who has broadly followed this thread but not ever really considered buying one (Wii does all this stuff just as well), excuse my ignorance: how was this hacked so easily? Was it the same hack used on the NES Mini?

Nope, that’s the NES mini - I was in CEX today trading in a load of 360 games and it’s 90 cash or credit - Norwich branch have 15 in stock as I asked that too!

Just now, carlospie said:

Didn’t your launch get amended? Mine did 

What's that?  Did you get a refund?

They said they can't refund the difference but suggested I return it for a full refund and buy again at the new price.   Which seems daft to me.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Finally set this up. 

Feeling pretty shaken up at the moment. Turns out the game I thought was Super Mario World was actually Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins on gameboy and I've never played Super Mario World.

Well then, you're in for one fucking amazing journey. I wish that happened to me.

20 hours ago, Goose said:

Am I getting old or do these games just not fuck around? I'm barely scraping the first level of some stuff! :D

that was my experience back in the day. these days we are spoilt. we can drift in and out of attention and just going. there's a reason why they called SNES and especially NES games 'Nintendo Hard'.

19 minutes ago, jaromil said:

that was my experience back in the day. these days we are spoilt. we can drift in and out of attention and just going. there's a reason why they called SNES and especially NES games 'Nintendo Hard'.

I hadn’t played Contra III before. It’s legitimately the hardest game I’ve ever played. Rage quit after about ten forty-second game overs. Won’t go back. :mellow:

Just now, disperse and recoagulate said:

I hadn’t played Contra III before. It’s legitimately the hardest game I’ve ever played. Rage quit after about ten forty-second game overs. Won’t go back

I spent a long (LONG) time on that as a kid. Got to the fourth stage but could never beat it. What was really annoying was that the JPN version had the konami code that gave you 30 lives. But they took it out for the US release! the bastards!! one day I shall cheat my way to the end of that game, just to see what it is like.

10 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I hadn’t played Contra III before. It’s legitimately the hardest game I’ve ever played. Rage quit after about ten forty-second game overs. Won’t go back. :mellow:

Just play it on the easy or normal levels, easily possibly then.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Finally set this up. 

Feeling pretty shaken up at the moment. Turns out the game I thought was Super Mario World was actually Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins on gameboy and I've never played Super Mario World.

Incredible. If there was one game that I could erase all memory of and play for the first time again, it would be Super Mario World. The greatest.

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Fire up Super Ghouls and Ghosts and prepare to shit the bed.

I never owned a SNES, and although my cousin had one so I was lucky to play a lot of stuff at least a bit (or be allowed to watch :rolleyes:), it's a console I kind of missed. Since then I've dabbled in emulators (since what, about 1998?!), but never really given it a proper go.

And holy shit, Zelda is great.
And holy shit, Mario World is amazing.

And holy shit, Contra is still impossible, but still fantastic.

And holy shit, I still think Starfox is crap compared to 64.

Any holy holy shit, this confirms how much I absolutely love and am utterly charmed by Yoshi's Island :wub: (I played the GBA version)

I feel very lucky to have this beautiful little thing. I just have to find the time to play it!

FWIW I'm not sure Street Fighter is that valid an inclusion, since there are so many better home versions..

10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Back to important matters, do Unirally, Stunt Race FX and Pilotwings work on it?

Unirally does not, when you get a head of the computer player, they appear in the middle of the screen, it's weird.

That and Rock & Roll Racing failed for me (black screen with R&R).

I am sure everyone was the same, when it arrived I was completely star-struck, and really couldnt decide, for ages, which game to play first.

I eventually settled on Secret of Mana, not to play, but to just listen to the title screen music, for the first time in twenty odd years. Wow.

(Then I played Streetfighter, obviously)

10 hours ago, JPickford said:

What's that?  Did you get a refund?

They said they can't refund the difference but suggested I return it for a full refund and buy again at the new price.   Which seems daft to me.

I preordered mine ages ago and got the pre order guarentee thing at launch which took a tenner off 

7 hours ago, Azure said:

FWIW I'm not sure Street Fighter is that valid an inclusion, since there are so many better home versions..

The success of the SNES is partly tied to having the best street fighter 2 conversion. It's a seminal game for the system and a version simply has to be included.

the first game is slow, and lacks the bosses, super street fighter 2 adds four new characters but is slow too.

turbo was the only choice, it remains a great conversion and is still very playable 25 years later!

23 minutes ago, ulala said:

The success of the SNES is partly tied to having the best street fighter 2 conversion. It's a seminal game for the system and a version simply has to be included.

the first game is slow, and lacks the bosses, super street fighter 2 adds four new characters but is slow too.

turbo was the only choice, it remains a great conversion and is still very playable 25 years later!

It's an awesome fighter for it.  I haven't played it in decades yet the moves are burnt into my brain, was kicking ass within minutes. I don't even like fighters anymore and still had loads of fun.

9 hours ago, jaromil said:

I spent a long (LONG) time on that as a kid. Got to the fourth stage but could never beat it. What was really annoying was that the JPN version had the konami code that gave you 30 lives. But they took it out for the US release! the bastards!! one day I shall cheat my way to the end of that game, just to see what it is like.

Same.  I've been using the save states and rewind feature to progress... I've got to perhaps the fifth or sixth stage now, was fighting a boss that just made me laugh out loud and put down the controller - nails hard.

9 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I could complete that several times as a kid.... now I'm struggling to get past level 2. So old!

I don't understand this rush to blame age that's dulling youthful skills or reaction times. It's total bullshit imo. What people are really saying, are that they have neither the patience nor inclination nowadays to put the hard graft into a game that they once had.

No one picked up a game like Contra back then and breezed through it on their first go. They sunk time and enthusiasm into learning the game and getting better at it. That's how we beat stuff back then and that's how you'll beat stuff now!

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

Manchester people, this is showing in stock again on Amazon Prime Now....£69.99

Can't seem to get one in Manchester, but just FYI - I've got one from Liverpool...

One of.. (only?) perks of living in Warrington - Double prime now region

2 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

No one picked up a game like Contra back then and breezed through it on their first go. They sunk time and enthusiasm into learning the game and getting better at it. That's how we beat stuff back then and that's how you'll beat stuff now!

When games cost between £50 and £60 you had to make sure that what you picked were not only amazing games but would also last you a while. My birthday is in March, which means I'd have to make do up until Christmas. Stuff like Mega Man, Castlevania and later Contra were perfect birthday games.

I don't think I'd have been interested in gaming at all if a £40 title lasted me only eight hours like most offerings today. I would have stuck to just the one online multiplayer game most likely, which is exactly what we're seeing today with games like COD, Destiny, Overwatch, DOTA2/LOL, etc.

My pal has never really been a gamer but he's attracted to the SNES Mini. I really don't imagine he'll need another gaming console with the sheer amount of quality on it.