SNES Mini

deKay

Hacked mine and got Plok! and some other crackers on there - it's almost as though Nintendo knew it was going to be hacked and didn't bother putting anything in to prevent it being anything other than a piece of piss.

Me and a pal played Pilotwings together for a while last night.  Brilliant stuff.  

I don't need a SNES virtual console anymore, I've got near as dammit the real thing in this wee box.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Hacked mine and got Plok! and some other crackers on there - it's almost as though Nintendo knew it was going to be hacked and didn't bother putting anything in to prevent it being anything other than a piece of piss.

Me and a pal played Pilotwings together for a while last night.  Brilliant stuff.  

I don't need a SNES virtual console anymore, I've got near as dammit the real thing in this wee box.

I'm sure you won't mind sending @JPickford proof you own the original Plok cartridge.

27 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I can't remember what our royalty was on Plok but it wasn't a lot.  Maybe 30c.   

Was there ever a sense back then that £40 was a lot of money/too much money for a game? Seems quite appropriate that the price of the SNES Mini is around the price (adjusted) of a game back then.

I've always thought it was too much.   But carts were expensive to make so that was some justification.  We often had to fight for bigger ROM size or battery-backed-RAM (We lost that battle on Plok). 

We definitely tried to put a lot in the games so you got your money's worth and didn't see everything in one afternoon.

8 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I've always thought it was too much.   But carts were expensive to make so that was some justification.  We often had to fight for bigger ROM size or battery-backed-RAM (We lost that battle on Plok). 

We definitely tried to put a lot in the games so you got your money's worth and didn't see everything in one afternoon.

Oh yeah I know publisher didn't have a choice but it's interesting to hear a developer concerned about the prices. Back then it was my my parents' money not mine at least.

Cart prices were a huge problem for publishers too.   I heard of publishers saying they couldn't afford to have a hit.  So much money tied up for months at a time in manufacture & shipping.   You can see why the industry embraced optical disks so quickly.    As well as the money, it took a long time to manufacture & ship games from Japan so if a game sold out there was no chance of printing more to satisfy demand.

If anyone's going to play Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken, it's really important you get the weapon powerups on every level. Found it really hard before I realised that first time round. It's great once you get the insanely powered-up laser.

5 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

To be fair, people on YouTube do one-handed Street Fighter combos and play Dark Souls with bongos. They can't be tamed.

before the internet, we had no way of knowing just how inferior we are to other mortals. i cannot even imagine finishing DS, nevermind using bongos. i console myself by mumbling aout some people having too much time but that is clearly sour grapes :-)

41 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I think Street Fighter was a huge ROM at the time which partially explained the price.   Also they could have charged almost anything for it at the time.

They did for Super Street Fighter II as the RRP was £100 on release, price soon came crashing down as I recall.

Having had a play with a SNES Mini I'm not that keen on the quality of the emulator, the anti-flicker feature also drives me up the wall, but I understand why it's included.

The main event has to be Star Fox 2 which, is a really interesting titles in all it's aspects, certainly a game that keeps you playing to unlock all the secrets hidden in the game, has anyone managed to get all the General Pepper Coins yet?

Did a playthrough video myself on Normal, quite a few changes from the BETA that got leaked, game is also a bit harder and I felt a touch smoother, but that might just be me. Award screen at the end is different and the weapon load outs have changed on some of the ships.

Would love to see an official SNES cartridge release of this, but I highly doubt that will happen so will go down the repro route.

47 minutes ago, Riven said:

They did for Super Street Fighter II as the RRP was £100 on release, price soon came crashing down as I recall.

Super SFII? That would've been an import copy (or "grey import" as the term often was then). The PAL version was a very late release, IIRC sometime in 1995, and only exclusive to EB or Game.

1 hour ago, Riven said:

Having had a play with a SNES Mini I'm not that keen on the quality of the emulator, the anti-flicker feature also drives me up the wall, but I understand why it's included.

The main event has to be Star Fox 2 which, is a really interesting titles in all it's aspects, certainly a game that keeps you playing to unlock all the secrets hidden in the game, has anyone managed to get all the General Pepper Coins yet?

Did a playthrough video myself on Normal, quite a few changes from the BETA that got leaked, game is also a bit harder and I felt a touch smoother, but that might just be me. Award screen at the end is different and the weapon load outs have changed on some of the ships.

Would love to see an official SNES cartridge release of this, but I highly doubt that will happen so will go down the repro route.

Do not play it on normal as it butchers the game. Hard and expert are the real Starfox 2 and it's much better. 

7 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

To give you an idea how far tech has moved, friend just sent me Turtles in Time ROM... In an iMessage. The games are smaller than some photos on this iPhone. Unbelievable.

Check out elite on the spectrum. This message is probably larger than the 48k it fit the universe into.

I managed to get Retroarch working by dragging the zipped download into Hackchi instead of the unzipped folders and Terranigma is now working. I've also got the Final Fantasy GBA games on there which run but the sounds are not playing correctly.

56 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

To give you an idea how far tech has moved, friend just sent me Turtles in Time ROM... In an iMessage. The games are smaller than some photos on this iPhone. Unbelievable.

Super Mario World is 512KB, half a megabyte for the greatest 2D game of all time. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I managed to get Retroarch working by dragging the zipped download into Hackchi instead of the unzipped folders and Terranigma is now working. I've also got the Final Fantasy GBA games on there which run but the sounds are not playing correctly.

Nevermind, updated to Retroarch v1.0 and the sound issues have been fixed. Added the GBA games FF IV-VI, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Tactics Ogre and Tales of Phantasia and I done adding games to the system.