rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I thought you were really happy with yours when you first got it? What's changed your mind?

It’s great when hacked, the stock one is very poor 

• Upvote 3

On 08/02/2019 at 12:12, Thor said:

Should I give Yoshi's Island more of a chance, or is it the steaming turd it appears to be?

I finally got around to setting up and playing my SNES Mini this week and Yoshi's Island was one of the titles I spent some time with. It has bags of charm and character, and the music is great. I think I finished it when it was originally released on the SNES (I certainly sunk a lot of time into it), but I find some of the mechanics very frustrating. The main one is how punishing it is when you make a mistake - baby Mario floats off (whilst making that really annoying crying noise) when you get hit, causing you to panic while you try to recover him. Plus, you also lose stars from the countdown timer, affecting your collectables score. The other thing is the vehicle transformations. I noticed on level 2 or 3, when you transform into a helicopter, that to fully explore the area you can fly around and get all the collectables required a fair bit of back tracking - I flew until the time ran out several times, then had to run back through the same section of the level to return to the transform icon again. These are two irritations that I noticed playing the first three levels, so I'd say if you're not feeling it, move on. Not every classic is for everyone. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

How difficult to get ridge racer type 4 running on Nintendo SNES Mini ? I still have the disc. 

Just want to take advantage of HDMI.

Pretty difficult mate. For one thing, there is no disc drive on the SNES Mini. ;)

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Extract them with winrar first?

And after that?

Yeah, sorry but I'm quite clueless as how to get a ROM in WinRAR to work with hackchi...

Alternatively, somedody happened to get the Eng. translation ROM of Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Trials of Mana) from Emuparadise.com or the like before it all got taken down?

Just looking for a way to play (a translated version of) Trials of Mana on my SNES mini really.

Trials of Mana? I thought it was Secret of Mana 2? 

When you said you converted to win zip, I take it you extracted then recompacted rather than attempted to add a rar directly into a zip? Was just thought really but quite obvious so You’ve likely done this. I’ve not hacked mine yet as I’m going to play through all the stock games first. Pencil me in for 5 years time maybe. 

Is there a world where I can play Marvel vs Capcom 2 or X-men vs Street Fighter on my SNES mini?

I’ve got a real itch to play them for some reason. 

On 15/06/2019 at 02:26, Hubertus Bigend said:

Does anyone know the advantages of upgrading their Hakchi? I'm on v2 so it's more of a faff I believe.

There aren't any advantages to using a new Hakchi if your primary reason for hacking is adding more SNES games to be run by the excellent stock emulator, IMO.

The main advantage to using a new one (a 'CE' build) is improved arcade core support i.e. the ability to run later Irem arcade boards on MAME 2003, for example. Some other cores that just weren't supported on earlier Hakchi builds (such as Supergrafx) run fine on newer Hakchis too. Another advantage is that it supports external USB drive support via an OTG adaptor, if that appeals to you.

I upgraded to a new one and am keeping it that way because certain Arcade boards & Supergrafx are important to me - but I'd definitely have stuck with 2.22f if this wasn't the case. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Alternatively, somedody happened to get the Eng. translation ROM of Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Trials of Mana) from Emuparadise.com or the like before it all got taken down?

Just looking for a way to play (a translated version of) Trials of Mana on my SNES mini really.

You can't run the official Trails of Mana ROM on the SNES Classic without installing Retroarch and SNES 9X first. It's an expanded (6MB) ROM and the stock emulator doesn't do those. 

The old fan translated ROM of Seiken Densetsu 3 clocks in at 4MB so that'll run fine - but some fiddling (applying a specific Pre-Set ID) might be needed to keep the Hi-Res text legible (at the cost of introducing a weird gamma aberration on some of the menus). It's a bit of a faff tbh.

• Upvote 2

Should I give Yoshi's Island more of a chance, or is it the steaming turd it appears to be?

Whereas I genuinely think it is one of the greatest games of all time. SO much invention.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

There aren't any advantages to using a new Hakchi if your primary reason for hacking is adding more SNES games to be run by the excellent stock emulator, IMO.

The main advantage to using a new one (a 'CE' build) is improved arcade core support i.e. the ability to run later Irem arcade boards on MAME 2003, for example. Some other cores that just weren't supported on earlier Hakchi builds (such as Supergrafx) run fine on newer Hakchis too. Another advantage is that it supports external USB drive support via an OTG adaptor, if that appeals to you.

I upgraded to a new one and am keeping it that way because certain Arcade boards & Supergrafx are important to me - but I'd definitely have stuck with 2.22f if this wasn't the case. 

Thank you! I’ll save myself the bother.

On 08/02/2019 at 19:40, carlospie said:

It’s great when hacked, the stock one is very poor 

Wouldn't say very poor. But 21 games is rather mean imo. One hakchi and an extra 39 games later, and it's a SNES fan's dream come true. I seriously hope hakchi will do a tool for the MD mini as well, as there are some glaring omissions from the official list of games.

I really like the no smooth crt filter mod on the snes mini, can anyone help me do the same on the nes mini?

its crt stock filter is horrible 

Does anyone know if these are still being made?

I have one that I’ve listed on eBay and it’s had a lot of interest. I was only selling it as we may be moving house, and I figured I could easily but another in the future. 

If that’s not the case then I’m thinking I should perhaps keep hold of it - whilst I can play most of the games on the Switch now, there’s something satisfying about playing on this. 

Over the past year they've crept up to about £110 on Amazon from resellers, which means they must no longer be in production. I'm sure there are tons of them floating around in CEX and on Ebay, but why go through the hassle of rebuying if you already have one?

Prices going up? 

I may have to sell mine. I have used it for 10 mins. Even bought a wiresless 8bitdo pad for it. 

Put mine on ebay last week for 75 with a ton of extra games and systems, all lovingly matched up boxart, mint in box with unused 2nd pad, no takers. It's back on, had two views since Sunday. :lol:

Thank you good sir. I too hate it, and people always accuse me of being mad.

I forced myself through half of it, and it never improves. The level progression is always linear, unlike the original Super Mario World. The requisites to attain 100% on each level are ridiculous - it's not about finding an alternative exit, but collecting rubbish and tat, and finishing with 100% health. The reward for collecting all this crap, in every level in each world, is a single extra level which is overly difficult and crap.

The original SMW is in fact perfect when it comes to secrets and rewards. Each secret gives you an entirely new piece of content to play through and, in some cases, find more levels.

Yoshi's Island is just a painful slog through a swamp of trash collecting.

• Upvote 2

On 05/11/2019 at 17:38, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Prices going up? 

I may have to sell mine. I have used it for 10 mins. Even bought a wiresless 8bitdo pad for it. 

:bye: I am after one if do sell :D