rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

6 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I still fire the jap version up on my snes and it still plays very well. Especially the jetpack stages...

I'm not saying Pilotwings is bad, but to a modern audience it's pretty brutal.

As a complete coincidence I completed it last week, having not played it when it was released. WTF are the helicopter sections about?

Just now, Soi said:

I'm not saying Pilotwings is bad, but to a modern audience it's pretty brutal.

As a complete coincidence I completed it last week, having not played it when it was released. WTF are the helicopter sections about?

I wouldn't say it was any less brutal than Super Ghouls n' Ghosts or Mega Man 2 etc.

Yeah, if you have never tried those before, they are a pleasant surprise, if a bit weird....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smoothy said:

I think I might get out my actual Super NES out tonight...

Same here.. just got to work out how to connect it to a HDTV that only has HDMI and component inputs... hmmm....

2 hours ago, RetroPlays said:

Just checked and newry and a few more have stock

Yeah, it seems it flitted in and out for some reason. I have an order with them now, got in just before the £10 hike too.

Just now, MattyP said:

Same here.. just got to work out how to connect it to a HDTV that only has HDMI and component inputs... hmmm....

Ouch.  There's probably leads around on Amazon, but I'm going to borrow my GameCube's lead, because I think the Multiout on the console end is the same.

How much are the King of Fighters and Street Fighter Zero cartridges worth these days do you reckon? Because I just found out that mother has flipped a job lot (including consoles and a ton of games) for £20.

1 minute ago, Tomdominer said:

I wouldn't say it was any less brutal than Super Ghouls n' Ghosts or Mega Man 2 etc.

Yeah, if you have never tried those before, they are a pleasant surprise, if a bit weird....

Fair points. I wonder what % of Super Ghouls n' Ghosts players ever get to Level 2...

• Upvote 1

Just now, mikeyl said:

How much are the King of Fighters and Street Fighter Zero cartridges worth these days do you reckon? Because I just found out that mother has flipped a job lot (including consoles and a ton of games) for £20.

You probably don't want to know! :( 

1 minute ago, Smoothy said:

Ouch.  There's probably leads around on Amazon, but I'm going to borrow my GameCube's lead, because I think the Multiout on the console end is the same.

Indeed the connector is the same for the 'Cube and the N64... problem is damn TV doesn't have scart sockets or composite video input... :(

Excellent.  Might check and see if my Super Mario World save game is still there after 20 years...

• Upvote 1

Does it have composite sockets? If so grab a lead off eBay for a few quid or if it doesn't grab a composite to hdmi converter for a few quid as well

17 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

I think I might get out my actual Super NES out tonight...

I have a Super Famicom with a SD2SNES Flashcart w/ complete ROM set into a Framemeister using a custom made RGB cable. 

It sits under my TV and I use it frequently. 

I'm still super hyped for the SNES mini and must get one. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Excellent.  Might check and see if my Super Mario World save game is still there after 20 years...

Bet you it is! Mine was when I got it out to have a play on at Christmas. 95 levels, dammit!

4 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Bet you it is! Mine was when I got it out to have a play on at Christmas. 95 levels, dammit!

Took me and my sister about 2 years to finish the game when we were kids. Now i could probably complete it in 2 hours or so! (all exits). Such a great game.

17 minutes ago, Soi said:

Fair points. I wonder what % of Super Ghouls n' Ghosts players ever get to Level 2...

We did! Back at university when we had much more time, myself @X_2_0 and 2 others took shifts to complete various bits of it. To be fair, when you have to do the whole thing a second time through, they do at least give you a super weapon to blast through the levels to get to Sardius.

I saw an unboxed Super Ghouls n Ghosts cart at a video game fair earlier this year. It was £40 and I almost bought it (there was a boxed one for £55). Glad I didn't now.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

We did! Back at university when we had much more time, myself @X_2_0 and 2 others took shifts to complete various bits of it. To be fair, when you have to do the whole thing a second time through, they do at least give you a super weapon to blast through the levels to get to Sardius.

I saw an unboxed Super Ghouls n Ghosts cart at a video game fair earlier this year. It was £40 and I almost bought it (there was a boxed one for £55). Glad I didn't now.

Chapeau!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Soi said:

I used to be able to complete it (once around, not the stupid second go) but I think those days may be gone. It's one of the main reasons I'm getting one of these. I used to think it was imbalanced and the first couple of stages were the hardest but I think it's more likely you just get into some meta-skill-state if you can pass the raft bit!

Yeah I completed it once around. When I was confronted with the second run I thought sod that and went to bed! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Oh Arthur! Thanks for trying to rescue me! Did you remember to bring all that stuff I asked for? No? Well do it all again!

One of the most soul crushing surprises in video game history.

10 minutes ago, carleton said:

I used to be able to complete it (once around, not the stupid second go) but I think those days may be gone. It's one of the main reasons I'm getting one of these. I used to think it was imbalanced and the first couple of stages were the hardest but I think it's more likely you just get into some meta-skill-state if you can pass the raft bit!

Oh god, the raft bit! 

I used to easily go twice around Ghouls n' Ghosts on the megadrive...

3 hours ago, wullie said:

I've played Link To The Past so many times, but I'm not sure if I've ever actually finished it all the way through. This is my Everest now.

Ha!  I finished it for the first time about a month back - the best 16 bit game ever IMHO

• Upvote 2

Used to love shooters on the SNES... Remember playing Parodius (with Japanese cart converter!) mad mad game that and Super R-Type- although the PAL version suffered from borders and slowdown! - R-Type 3 was great though...  Oh and other things I remember  are the thumb blisters from trying to pull off dragon punches on Street Fighter 2 :D 

Looking forward to getting the old thing fired up now... only have Mario Kart though... but its a start... :)