rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

Nevermind super soccer, what about ISS or ISS Deluxe? They were truly great games.

They and their N64 children are the only football games to equal/beat SWOS in my eyes. 

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Why didn't they include super soccer on the European version?

Because it's a bit rubbish, I'll take our swaps for theirs any day (with the possible exception of Goemon). Finally, payback for all those years when Japan used to get the best of it on the SNES, the tables finally turn! Hahahahaaahaha!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I thought UN Squadron might have been a bit niche, but Super Aleste, whilst not being my favourite, is surely the archetypal SNES shooter?

Parodius/Kikikaikai/Twinbee would have been great too but youcan't have everything. I'm super pleased that Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Secret of Mana are on there.

Would UN Squadron be a counted as niche? I am crap at twichty games, really bad, but I remember playing through UN Squadron on my SNES, was one of my favourite games. I didn't realise it was considered to be that difficult? Maybe I just got into the zone for that game for some reason. Every shooter I have played since I have been terrible at. Can barely last 3 minutes on R-type. I've spent years trying to recapture a UN Squadron vibe but all the games I've tried have been too hard.

• Upvote 3

UN Squadron/A88 was probably my preferred shooter on the SNES. But I don't recall seeing it in many shops at the time which is why I considered it a bit more niche. By comparison, Super Aleste and Axelay were easy to find. But then that may have just been my personal experience.

Just now, Vorgot said:

Would UN Squadron be a counted as niche? I am crap at twichty games, really bad, but I remember playing through UN Squadron on my SNES, was one of my favourite games. I didn't realise it was considered to be that difficult? Maybe I just got into the zone for that game for some reason. Every shooter I have played since I have been terrible at. Can barely last 3 minutes on R-type. I've spent years trying to recapture a UN Squadron vibe but all the games I've tried have been too hard.

This is me 100%.  UN Squadron is easily my favourite 2D shooter, and is the one I found the most accessible.

Perhaps the patterns are more predictable or something, I remember reaching the point where I spent a day working up through all of the difficulty modes including the extra hard one via a tap in code or something?

I even remember buying mine in my local Boots for £15 with - it was reduced as the box had been lost - really wish I'd bought a boxed one nowadays though ;) 

I equally suck at R-type!

• Upvote 1

Nice to see people finally coming round to the lack of a shooter!! :quote: Upon first seeing the list it stood out to me like a sore thumb. You could have taken your pick from Axelay, Super R-Type, UN Squadron, Parodius or Super Aleste. Any one of those would have been acceptable and I'd argue essential to make the collection rounded. A shmup people, c'mon, how much more classic can you get!!

Weird isn't it? Some games must just click and others not. 

Not managed to get a pre-order, but no way will a pay a scalpers price for something that would be great to have, but not essential. Hopefully the news about more stock is true.

3 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

UN Squadron/A88 was probably my preferred shooter on the SNES. But I don't recall seeing it in many shops at the time which is why I considered it a bit more niche. By comparison, Super Aleste and Axelay were easy to find. But then that may have just been my personal experience.

It came out about 18 months before the other two (one of the first wave of games, wasn't it?), which might have affected availability in comparison.

I reckon there will be plenty of these as nintendo are not utterly retarded when it comes to profit making.  There are too many and I'm hoping (beyond hope) that many people will end up at a loss who have two or more.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stefcha said:

It came out about 18 months before the other two (one of the first wave of games, wasn't it?), which might have affected availability in comparison.

Pretty sure Super Aleste was a £40 game when I got UN Squadron, as that's what I really wanted, but my parents wouldn't buy me a new title / premium priced game, which is how I landed UN Squadron.  The no box copy I bought in Boots was the only time I EVER saw UN Squadron for sale anywhere back in the day.  I never did get Aleste..

Pop'n TwinBee would be another decent shout.

Maybe they could release a Satellaview styled add on with another 20 games /dreams

I should really get my SNES out and plug it in!

• Upvote 1

I think anyone with spares should be selling to forumites at cost, given they probably wouldn't have known about the links if it weren't for this forum.

Plus the the community here is always generous and helpful with individual gaming queries.

Having said that, if you're not one of the wealthier forumites, £100-profit is a lot of money to turn down, and who's to say the forumite you sell to isn't just going to scalp it themselves. For that reason I wouldn't be too hard on anyone either way, tbh. The best outcome would be Nintendo delivering a load more stock at launch.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Pretty sure Super Aleste was a £40 game when I got UN Squadron, as that's what I really wanted, but my parents wouldn't buy me a new title / premium priced game, which is how I landed UN Squadron.  The no box copy I bought in Boots was the only time I EVER saw UN Squadron for sale anywhere back in the day.  I never did get Aleste..

Pop'n TwinBee would be another decent shout.

Axelay was the one I was always waiting for, it took ages to come out in comparison (I think Aleste/Megaforce came out overseas after Axelay but we still got that one over here before we saw Axelay, glad we don't have to put up with that bullshit too much any more). And when I did get it, it looked great but UN Squadron was probably still the better game.

4 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I think anyone with spares should be selling to forumites at cost, given they probably wouldn't have known about the links if it weren't for this forum.

Plus the the community here is always generous and helpful with individual gaming queries.

Having said that, if you're not one of the wealthier forumites, £100-profit is a lot of money to turn down, and who's to say the forumite you sell to isn't just going to scalp it themselves. For that reason I wouldn't be too hard on anyone either way, tbh. The best outcome would be Nintendo delivering a load more stock at launch.

If i can get an extra one it will be going on the forum at cost price. The problem is by the time you have shared the link, unless you're constantly checking your phone/computer you will miss out so i don't mind getting an extra one that i know someone on here will appreciate. I hope stock becomes more regular but we will see :coffee:

• Upvote 1

See now I'm going to have to put my PS3 on today and try to do a lot better at R-Type. I hope you are all proud of yourselves :)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I agree. The problem is Nintendo. A product shouldn't be commanding such high prices before it's released, and it wouldn't if they didn't fuck up so monumentally last time with NES Mini.

Another pre order missed by me, and people buying multiples.

becuse Nintendo messed up with the nes mini, a limited run and very successful scalping, it looks like everyone has jumped all over the SNES mini simply to make profits. They cannot all be retro gamers.

nintendo need to address this. A simple statement saying that everyone who wants one will be able to buy one at retail , even after a wait, is all that's needed.

I missed out on the NES mini but was not too fussed. It would have been a lovely thing to own, but I didn't have on back in the day so there is not the same nostalgia. But this would be great for my boys to be able to play stuff like Mario Kart with me, and I owned a lot of the games on it, it has a lot more appeal. And I agree with others, Nintendo got it really wrong last year, but they see some easy profits here, and suits who saw potential profits go to resellers must have been pretty annoyed. There will be more stock coming after this initial frenzy, am pretty sure.

15 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Maybe they could release a Satellaview styled add on with another 20 games /dreams

Or just hope it get's hacked.

I think the 21 games are a great bunch but there are at least 9 other games i'd have loved to have seen on the system to round it up with the NES classics 30.

Even if they are using the exact same internals as the NES classic, space really shouldn't have been an issue. Maybe it's down to third party licensing though. I guess Nintendo wants to make as much profit out of these as possible and splitting profits with other 3rd partys... (which is a shame cause there was a ton of good Capcom/Konami stuff).

I must admit i am surprised SF2 isn't on there especially as it comes with 2 pads.

31 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I've never seen a copy of Axelay, one of the few SNES games I really wanted that I never owned. Then again, I could never get very far in UN Squadron, so it would probably have been too hard.

becuse Nintendo messed up with the nes mini, a limited run and very successful scalping, it looks like everyone has jumped all over the SNES mini simply to make profits. They cannot all be retro gamers.

nintendo need to address this. A simple statement saying that everyone who wants one will be able to buy one at retail , even after a wait, is all that's needed.

http://www.graingergames.co.uk/nintendo-classic-mini-snes

Still showing as available here

2 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I must admit i am surprised SF2 isn't on there especially as it comes with 2 pads.

Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting is 

1 minute ago, ulala said:

How can they possibly make a promise like that? They're a business. Nintendo can't control scalpers just as Ticket Master can't handle touts. The hope is supply is roughly in line with demand. If it is the scalpers will be burnt eventually as they won't be able to shift their consoles at the inflated prices. There's definitely a mass panic at the minute but I'm sure it'll calm down soon. There are still loads of retailers not even listed their stock. Argos, John Lewis etc.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hoodedclaw said:

Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting is 

Ok, I'm an idiot. For some reason I didn't think it was. This thing is gonna be amazing.

The mass panic isn't helped by US pre-orders not being open yet; UK pre-orders are getting hammered by a combination of scalpers and desperate US buyers even before we get a chance at an order.

Checkout at Grainger was successful just now; it took 20 minutes though because their site is so slow. On the plus side it didn't keel over.

3 minutes ago, carleton said:

How can they possibly make a promise like that? They're a business. Nintendo can't control scalpers just as Ticket Master can't handle touts. The hope is supply is roughly in line with demand. If it is the scalpers will be burnt eventually as they won't be able to shift their consoles at the inflated prices. There's definitely a mass panic at the minute but I'm sure it'll calm down soon. There are still loads of retailers not even listed their stock. Argos, John Lewis etc.

Whilst I understand it's anti-business, some sort of ticketing system for the first few loads of pre-orders would at least help fans secure them and stick it to the tout market. One per person, sign up in advance, kind of like Glastonbury tickets.

Just now, Phil said:

The mass panic isn't helped by US pre-orders not being open yet; UK pre-orders are getting hammered by a combination of scalpers and desperate US buyers even before we get a chance at an order.

I do wonder if a lot of the UK sites just listed it before Nintendo were ready to start taking pre orders. I was kinda shocked to even see it get announced so early - let alone a september release date! I assumed it would be november or something, but perhaps Nintendo wants to concentrate on the Switch fully at that point.

2 minutes ago, ulala said:

Or it could be that because of last time many people are putting multiple orders in just to try and get one.... don't know. In any case Nintendo should just keep making these to meet the demand. Think the problem is its not quite clear what Nintendo aim to do.. a limited run? Or just keep making them as fast as they can sell them? All Nintendo need to do is state that they will keep making them... :)

Hope my pre-order comes through if not then at least I guess I have the original and emulators.