SNES Mini

deKay

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

I

Yes, I'm sure it's been said that the controllers are Wii compatible.  You can buy cheap Wii extension cables on eBay etc.  I bought a couple for my NES Classic. Some come with a transparent plastic bit where the Wii wrist strap would be held - you simply unscrew these, then put the screw back in the hole to make them fit the NES Classic, otherwise you can't get them in.

Alternatively, you can go all in and buy the 8bitdo controller and wireless adapter :)

The what now to make the 8bitdo controllers work? 

41 minutes ago, RetroPlays said:

To whoever asked about smyths pre order payments, they take at collection or dispatch.

I have a Smyths preorder at £80. I could go to the store and someone else could be there picking up the same thing for £70 as they ordered 30 mins before me. Sucks.

edit - I just emailed them about it actually to see what they say. I did say a friend preordered it for £69.99, I guess they won't ask for details due to data protection or something yeah? And they should know about the pricing too I guess

8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

The what now to make the 8bitdo controllers work? 

8bitdo NES classic wireless receiver. It's about 12 quid stand alone from dx /other Chinese retailer, or you can buy pad and receiver together..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Classic-Bluetooth-Receiver-Nintendo/dp/B01MTQ9QPB

note - I've never used one and don't own one but the internets says it's good.

4 minutes ago, Nutcasey said:

Where is the 12 quid one you talk about? I'd love to get one of these.

http://www.dx.com/p/8bitdo-mini-nes-classic-handle-wireless-receiver-black-468469?tc=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjwytLKBRCX547gve7EsE4SJAD3IZV6bELg3pYmC62ojtM3Zlpejoa-5PvtzTJdu9oJLwt8shoCjY3w_wcB#.WVSs5evyvIU

I believe the USB cable comes with them as the receiver is firmware update-able like the controllers.

If you've never used Deal Xtreme before, they are based in China, so expect the item to take a couple of weeks.  They are reliable in my experience. They may be cheaper elsewhere.

The controllers can also work with Switch now too, though obviously no gyro / motion controls / HD rumble etc.

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

8bitdo NES classic wireless receiver. It's about 12 quid stand alone from dx /other Chinese retailer, or you can buy pad and receiver together..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Classic-Bluetooth-Receiver-Nintendo/dp/B01MTQ9QPB

note - I've never used one and don't own one but the internets says it's good.

Cheers, I actually have an 8bitdo Snes pad comping today as one was ordered in a fit of nostalgia yesterday but with good reason as will use on my Switch and some emus - to find it could would wirelessly on the snes mini (potentially) is amazing!

2 minutes ago, meatbin said:

So the Mini NES had 4 save slots per game right?  How does that work with games that had on-cartridge saving?  

I would imagine you would still get save states still even if the games have cartridge save. I am assuming that was how Zelda on the NES worked anyway.

16 hours ago, smac said:

Because it [Eternal Darkness] wasn't actually that good?

It's an odd one - I enjoyed playing it at the time, but that was in spite of the design and gameplay faults. It gets a pass because of all the fourth-wall breaking SAN effects.

Not sure it wasn't pretty decent, the story kept me wanting more and the atmosphere was brilliant. At the time though. While I enjoyed it when I did, going back to it recently really does reveal it to be incredibly clunky to the point where I wondered how I got through it, which, somewhat ironically, is what I felt when I went back and tried the original Alone in the Dark and comparing it to ED at the time in the same "how did I ever put up with that!" revelation. It's a problem for an awful lot of games from around the PS1 era through to there.

It's also why the SNES stuff works even now, there's little of that from the games on there, not many experiments, learning exercises or otherwise hardware restricted games, but a lot of games at the top of their, er, game. It's not just nostalgia, what's coming on this is largely timeless.

3 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Not sure it wasn't pretty decent, the story kept me wanting more and the atmosphere was brilliant. At the time though. While I enjoyed it when I did, going back to it recently really does reveal it to be incredibly clunky to the point where I wondered how I got through it, which, somewhat ironically, is what I felt when I went back and tried the original Alone in the Dark and comparing it to ED at the time in the same "how did I ever put up with that!" revelation. It's a problem for an awful lot of games from around the PS1 era through to there.

It's also why the SNES stuff works even now, there's little of that from the games on there, not many experiments, learning exercises or otherwise hardware restricted games, but a lot of games at the top of their, er, game. It's not just nostalgia, what's coming on this is largely timeless.

It's not just an issue for Eternal Darkness. A lot of games of that era have shonky control systems. I tried playing Killer 7 recently; and the controls are a mess.

20 hours ago, gospvg said:

Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Super Mario Sunshine

Legend of Zelda WindWaker

Mario Kart Double Dash

Paper Mario 

Luigi's Mansion

F Zero GX

MGS Twin Snakes

Viewtiful Joe

Skies of Arcadia

Pikmin

Zelda Twilight Princess

Starfox Adventures

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Fire Emblem

Ikaruga

Super Monkey Ball

Batallion Wars

Animal Crossing

Waverace Blue Storm

& lots lots more

I'm afraid you can't have Ikaruga or Skies of Arcadia....

mini-dreamcast.jpg