SNES Mini

deKay

Unless anyone goes cheaper (can't imagine why they would), I'm sticking with the official Nintendo store. Think they delivered NES Mini two days early too.

Meanwhile, not to defend the design of the US SNES, but the mini version is the least horrible it's ever looked...

original.jpg

...but America already had a nicer mini SNES.

1200px-SNES-Model-2-Set.jpg

1 minute ago, probotector said:

What is the actual RRP? I thought it was £79.99?

Got one from Argos for £69.99. Looks like it does depend on post code.

RRP is 69.99 + 50 for delivery if a mate buys it

The expected retailers, plus Amazon on their original listing, are scalping right, left and centre it seems.

I got an Argos order, but how reliable are they.  I'd like to cancel my £80 one from scalpers GAME.

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This is exactly what I was saying I don't want to do (sorry forumites). I just want the order cancelled. 

sure, fine... let a scalper get more stock to flip on ebay for a huge mark-up.

see if I care...

;)

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

Not sure it wasn't pretty decent, the story kept me wanting more and the atmosphere was brilliant. At the time though. While I enjoyed it when I did, going back to it recently really does reveal it to be incredibly clunky to the point where I wondered how I got through it, which, somewhat ironically, is what I felt when I went back and tried the original Alone in the Dark and comparing it to ED at the time in the same "how did I ever put up with that!" revelation. It's a problem for an awful lot of games from around the PS1 era through to there.

It's also why the SNES stuff works even now, there's little of that from the games on there, not many experiments, learning exercises or otherwise hardware restricted games, but a lot of games at the top of their, er, game. It's not just nostalgia, what's coming on this is largely timeless.

I did play it relatively late in the day - it was one of those games that had achieved a certain reputation, so I picked it up some time after release. There were other irritations, such as camera angles when fighting enemies near doorways and the like. Weapon feel was pretty good.

One reason that I'm looking forward to the Mine SNES so much is that I missed out on these games at the time, and to get a lineup of games with a solid reputation like these is too good to miss, even if a few fan favourites are missing.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

It's not just an issue for Eternal Darkness. A lot of games of that era have shonky control systems. I tried playing Killer 7 recently; and the controls are a mess.

Oh, Killer 7 had clunky controls even for the time - I do mean to try a replay to see if it's as good as I remembered; I've played a lot more Japanese weirdness since then.

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Has anyone contacted Amazon regarding the price discrepancy between their initial pre orders? Mine is still showing as £79.99 and I think it's settled now that £69.99 is the going rate.

I've contacted them via email. I should expect a reply within 6 hours apparently.

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Looks like a cheapo printer, that is a rubbish design.

It's the best actual SNES you can buy though. Obviously it's a 60 Hz machine but it's got the best RGB output of all the variations of the machine. It's internally not wired up for RGB (for some weird reason) so needs that simple mod. 

I'm sure everyone finds that factoid fascinating. 

6 minutes ago, carleton said:

Got a rather woolly reply from Amazon about being assured I'll pay the lowest price once it's dispatched. Not very comforting when I could just order from Argos for a guaranteed £10 cheaper.

Yeah I got a similar one just now. I'm pretty confident though it will be changed. It's happened in the past actually, so I've no reason to believe this will be any different. Much happier now.

4 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Yeah I got a similar one just now. I'm pretty confident though it will be changed. It's happened in the past actually, so I've no reason to believe this will be any different. Much happier now.

S'what I said upthread. They give you a refund or discount to the correct/lowest price when they deliver - it's their pre-order guarantee that you'll get the lowest price its been at between ordering and delivery. It sits at the original price until then.

Although in this case, they appear to have changed the listing which I think worried people.

I'm not too fussed - I have a pre-order in which was originally mispriced at 25 quid below RRP; so I'm ahead on average...

45 minutes ago, Freeman said:

RRP is 69.99 + 50 for delivery if a mate buys it

The expected retailers, plus Amazon on their original listing, are scalping right, left and centre it seems.

I got an Argos order, but how reliable are they.  I'd like to cancel my £80 one from scalpers GAME.

Right. I thought £79.99 was the RRP. 

Amazon are not known for scalping. Best retailer out there imo. 

Argos have it listed as 79.99 with £10 off?

Even if RRP is 80 quid, if it's currently on at 70, Amazon guarantee you'll get the lowest price.

Nintendo official store listed it at 69.99, I'd say that's as close to confirmation of the RRP as we'll get.

Amazon listed at 79.99 1st time around (I have an order for this)

They then created a 2nd product listing with no relation to the original one it seems, at 69.99 - so the preorder price guarantee won't necessarily kick in.  

Amazon are usually very good, but I've had some nightmares with them and preorders in the past.  They are good at selling, and after care, but if they cancel your order at random, or mark it as dispatched when they don't actually have it (3DS launch) they just claim there is nothing they can do, and are terrible.

They were good for me with Switch though.

5 minutes ago, smac said:

Although in this case, they appear to have changed the listing which I think worried people.

Yes this is the only reason that gave me cause for concern. I'm confident now though that it'll be changed. Especially since I now have text of a email chat with a nice lady telling me it will definitely happen. :) 

13 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I have a Smyths preorder at £80. I could go to the store and someone else could be there picking up the same thing for £70 as they ordered 30 mins before me. Sucks.

edit - I just emailed them about it actually to see what they say. I did say a friend preordered it for £69.99, I guess they won't ask for details due to data protection or something yeah? And they should know about the pricing too I guess

They replied:

Reference No.:

Smyths Customer Support10:19 AM, Jun 29th
Hi xxxx,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, there was a pricing error on our website when this item went live for preorder. This has since been amended.

All orders placed at the lower price will be honoured but we would be unable to honour this price for orders placed after the correction was made.

If you wish, we can cancel this order?

Apologies for any disappointment caused.

If you need anything else at all, be sure to let us know.

Best Wishes,

Nicola

Customer Service Dept.
Smyths Toys Superstores

Sorry if its a silly question but does anywhere still have these up for pre order?  

My local game had them with a £50 deposit but i've had surgery on my ankle and i'm stuck to online shopping for now so couldn't get out the house