SNES Mini

deKay

On 28 June 2017 at 11:05, Majora said:

Don't get too excited about Donkey Kong Country, it was only noteworthy at the time because of the graphics and music. It's a very mediocre platformer on its own merits, with some really shit collision detection, and especially when compared to Retro Studio's take on it.

Nope.

Nah, revisionist nonsense.  Completed it fairly recently and the platforming is great, it's full of variation and innovative ideas and above all wonderful gameplay.  This idea that it gets a pass because of some great graphics (and some of the best sound design ever) is rubbish.  Bar a few difficulty spikes it holds up really well despite what Miyamoto said and its western origins :) 

4 hours ago, probotector said:

I admitted to some light trolling earlier, it would be silly to do it again after coming clean?!

For some people, any increase in the price could affect whether they can afford to put down the money on a SNES Mini, so trolling people about your multiple preorders or saying that the original SNES cost more money is not on. Please stop doing it.

The Retro DK games aren't a patch on the Rare games. The main problem is the ridiculous inertia and roll mechanic of DK. 

I get that they were trying to create a game where you could showboat once you knew the levels but they ended up with one that played about as well as Sonic on the megadrive. 

15 hours ago, carleton said:

To be fair I've just found out my brother paid the deposit with trade-ins which might explain the store credit thing. It doesn't forgive the not guaranteeing a console bit though.

Well yes, that makes it entirely reasonable. Or at least as reasonable as insisting on a 75% deposit 3 months in advance can ever be.

7 hours ago, probotector said:

My dad bought me my SNES for £129.99 with SMW and only 1 pad in 1992. Thats like £599 in now money.

It's about £250 in now money.

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well yes, that makes it entirely reasonable. Or at least as reasonable as insisting on a 75% deposit 3 months in advance can ever be.

He only paid half in credit, the rest in cash. He also says the list of names on the pre-order sheet has a note on it telling staff to still take orders even if they fill the allocation they had.

22 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

I loved DKC on the SNES, but Tropical Freeze shits over the rest of the series from a great height.

Yes. Over most platformers really. Incredible game with some of the best level design of any platformer.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

It's about £250 in now money.

in 2016 it would have been £223.92. Inflation averaged 2.8% a year.

8 hours ago, Camel said:

Nah, revisionist nonsense.  Completed it fairly recently and the platforming is great, it's full of variation and innovative ideas and above all wonderful gameplay.  This idea that it gets a pass because of some great graphics (and some of the best sound design ever) is rubbish.  Bar a few difficulty spikes it holds up really well despite what Miyamoto said and its western origins :) 

I recently played through the whole thing and can concur. It's still incredible and one of the best platformers ever made. Majora is full of shit as always and trying to hammer a point home for some reason. 

DKC2, Jungle Beat and Tropical Freeze are better games but that hardly takes anything away from the original. 

23 minutes ago, dood said:

Watched that the other day.  I want them to re-release it on Switch!!

Do you not own a Wii U?

13 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Majora is full of shit as always and trying to hammer a point home for some reason. 

When are you going to grow the fuck up and realise that people can have different opinions on games and express them on a discussion forum? I'm frankly sick to death of you sniping at people and calling them negative or full of shit simply for daring to have a different opinion to you. You're an absolute child, constantly having a mini temper tantrum and calling people names because they have different opinions; yesterday because Wiper didn't like Until Dawn as much as you do, and now because I don't like DKC as much as you. And this is hardly the first time you snipe at me because I don't like something you do. What is your fucking problem?

Not thinking the first Donkey Kong Country isn't a particularly good game isn't even a very controversial opinion! Christ. DKC2 was great. I have no beef with Rare but the first game is really them finding their feet. Earlier levels are dull and perfunctory, while later ones lean way too heavily on frustrating trial and error. In my opinion, the game would be forgotten along with 100 other identikit 16 Bit platformers if it wasn't for the license and the presentation.

There. that's my opinion. If you can't handle seeing different opinions without personally attacking other people then go set up a fucking Kevvy Metal echo chamber forum or something.

6 hours ago, Majora said:

When are you going to grow the fuck up and realise that people can have different opinions on games and express them on a discussion forum? I'm frankly sick to death of you sniping at people and calling them negative or full of shit simply for daring to have a different opinion to you. You're an absolute child, constantly having a mini temper tantrum and calling people names because they have different opinions; yesterday because Wiper didn't like Until Dawn as much as you do, and now because I don't like DKC as much as you. And this is hardly the first time you snipe at me because I don't like something you do. What is your fucking problem?

Hah! Pot calling kettle black some what don't you think? 

Yes, you've repeatedly made your DKC point in this thread over and over and it's fatiguing, I think it's nonsense and I'm calling it out - I think it's a lot of shit - I'm aware it's opinion but that doesn't stop me from fundamentally disagreeing with it. I'll also continue to point out opinions that I think are a lot of negative, half thought out garbage.    

This outburst is quite frankly uncalled for and a little unhinged, but keep on doing you. I said I thought you're full of shit and in return I get this tirade? Jesus Christ man, get a grip.