IGNORED

SNES Mini

deKay

24 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It's strange how some people are pulling at many straws to defend a games company. It's like they can not bear the thought of their favourite videogame company being incompetent at a business level. I haven't seen this level of delusion and blind support outside of football. 

All these ridiculous theories and leaps of the imagination  that attempt to swing what looks like clear incompetence into either being not at fault or some genius strategy that us humans can not comprehend.

Nintendo are a huge videogame company, they also make lots of stupid and incompetent decisions (especially of late), accept it and get over it.

Hit the nail on the head. It's tribalism essentially, and humans are wired to be that way. Doesn't make it any less frustrating when people become tribal around a multinational corporation though. 

58 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It's strange how some people are pulling at many straws to defend a games company. It's like they can not bear the thought of their favourite videogame company being incompetent at a business level. I haven't seen this level of delusion and blind support outside of football. 

All these ridiculous theories and leaps of the imagination  that attempt to swing what looks like clear incompetence into either being not at fault or some genius strategy that us humans can not comprehend.

Nintendo are a huge videogame company, they also make lots of stupid and incompetent decisions (especially of late), accept it and get over it.

It's almost as strange as a load of randoms on a videogame forum honestly believing they are the business leaders of the world and clearly know better than the business folks over at Nintendo even though they are the ones in possession of all the required data.

Such incompetence to have a business which currently has a couple of products they don't appear to be able to manufacture fast enough to satisfy demand. Such fools. They should have listened to the people on here and magically produced 58 million of them in 3 days in their wonder factory run by Willy Wonka. And it absolutely would not have been a problem when 50 million of them got left in inventory after everyone eventually calmed the fuck down and realised they actually only needed to order 1 and not the 5 they blindly panicked into.

I have my tongue in cheek (to some degree) of course - but come on folks, lets not make out we're in any position to make calls on this - they have the data and and we don't. They got caught with the NES mini, but then given where they were at the time they had to make that call, it's hardly surprising they were conservative. It would have been a pretty mental gamble at that point to do much else.

6 hours ago, Isaac said:

People were arguing that they have low production numbers for the SNES mini because otherwise it'd remove company focus from the switch, or that the SNES mini was competing with the Switch for parts, both of which are patently ridiculous.

We clearly see this whole situation completely differently.

The production numbers aren't low. They're absolutely massive for what amounts to a promotional (albeit desirable) side project.

Nintendo's focus has been overwhelmingly on the Switch since before they officially announced the discontinuation of the WiiU and will remain so long after the SNES Classic is officially discontinued.

I don't think anyone's implied that the Switch and SNES Classic are literally competing for parts or felt the need to speak authoritatively about how manufacturing 'works' in this context...aside from you?

As for any kind of 'pro-Nintendo' tribalistic apologism - speaking for myself this sounds absurd. Things like the over-pricing of the original 3DS, the blind faith in the WiiU concept and the apparent lack of foresight about the increased challenges of developing software for the HD age are examples of recent catastrophic failures of strategy from the very top. I find the throwing of the apparent under-production of the SNES Classic in with that lot slightly amusing.

3 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

We clearly see this whole situation completely differently.

The production numbers aren't low. They're absolutely massive for what amounts to a promotional (albeit desirable) side project.

Well, since we don't know the numbers it is difficult to say whether they are massive or not.  It does seem strange to go to the expensive of designing the thing and then make less numbers than you can realistically sell. Most of the set costs are in the design, once you've locked that down you'd think you'd produce enough until you'e sated demand.  Demand is a tricky thing, but if Nes Minis are going for £150 on eBay then you can say there is still demand in the market left unfulfilled.  Until Nintendo are in a position where you've got a pile of these things in Toys r Us in the middle of December then I think they still have demand to fill.

And that is the other thing, sure these are promotional items but why are you limiting the promotional aspect of them. Produce them cheap, stack them high and get them everywhere.  Then if the kids enjoy the games, hopefully they'll bug their parents for a Switch. 

I'm 45, and we were all about the Commodore/Sinclair stuff rather then the NES. The SNES is the first console I had since the Atari 2600, and was the same for a lot of my friends (well, that or the Megadrive). The level of interest with people I know about the Ones Mini is huge compared to the NES one last year

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

I'm 45, and we were all about the Commodore/Sinclair stuff rather then the NES. The SNES is the first console I had since the Atari 2600, and was the same for a lot of my friends (well, that or the Megadrive). The level of interest with people I know about the Ones Mini is huge compared to the NES one last year

Yeah the NES wasnt really a thing the UK, the master system was far bigger and I would say that was still niche.  UK was all about Spectrums and Commodores after we abandoned the Atari dream.  Was once the 16 bit consoles came around the masses jumped back on board.

My SNES mini order on Very is still looking secured, cant wait to have easy access to these games again.  Emulators etc always leave me feeling a bit dirty.

I'm 37, and when I was a kid around the late 80's/early 90's there was one kid with a NES, who was a pal of mine. Everyone else had either an Amiga or a Sega Megadrive / Sega Mastersystem... or their old Spectrum. 

The kid in question had been in the US for a bit, so was keen on a Nintendo and obviously their parents obliged. I played through all of Super Mario Bros 2 and Bionic Command at that kid's house. I remember the games being insanely expensive. 

26 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm 37, and when I was a kid around the late 80's/early 90's there was one kid with a NES, who was a pal of mine. Everyone else had either an Amiga or a Sega Megadrive / Sega Mastersystem... or their old Spectrum. 

The kid in question had been in the US for a bit, so was keen on a Nintendo and obviously their parents obliged. I played through all of Super Mario Bros 2 and Bionic Command at that kid's house. I remember the games being insanely expensive. 

Games went very quickly from being £10 on C64 (or £1.99 for budget Mastertronic/Firebird type titles) to £65 for Street Fighter II cartridge on the SNES!  Mental.  

Imagine if the new Xbox decided to have a base price of £100 per game!  Would never fly these days.

Anybody remember the NES demo units that were in UK shops in the early 90s (Dixons at least anyway)?

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, 

I'm sure it was a multi-choice system where you could pick from a lineup of 10-15 games and play them for a limited amount of time before the system reset.

2 minutes ago, Saint said:

Anybody remember the NES demo units that were in UK shops in the early 90s (Dixons at least anyway)?

I'm sure it was a multi-choice system where you could pick from a lineup of 10-15 games and play them for a limited amount of time before the system reset.

a cut down play10, with more carts? Yeah, I remember

2 minutes ago, Syntax said:

Games went very quickly from being £10 on C64 (or £1.99 for budget Mastertronic/Firebird type titles) to £65 for Street Fighter II cartridge on the SNES!  Mental.  

Imagine if the new Xbox decided to have a base price of £100 per game!  Would never fly these days.

Yup, I went from having a ZX Spectrum as our family computer.. where games were cheap (or "free") to owning a SNES as my first console where everything cost an insane amount.. then learning that all the games are running too slow and you have to import to get them at correct speed .... :/

1 minute ago, Saint said:

Sounds like the Playchoice 10. 

4 minutes ago, Saint said:

We had a similar thing in our local arcade.
Although it only had SMW, FZero, Tennis and Football. You would put your money in and then could swap between games before the timer ran out.

We also had some dude who you could rent a SNES and games from. He would come round your house with a tatty cardboard box containing the console and games.
He and the console always stunk of a 40 a day smoker!

10 minutes ago, Syntax said:

Anybody who was gaming in the 2600 era was already used to insane prices :)

42 minutes ago, Saint said:

Yeah there was one on the top floor of Debenhams in Gloucester, didn't seem to get many people up there so whilst my mum went shopping I'd go up there and spend ages playing the games, that was my first experience of Super Mario 2 and a few others like Kid Icarus. I knew a few people who had a NES but they weren't that popular around my way, it definitely was the SNES that was bigger over here.

I didn't have much interest in the NES Mini but the SNES on the other hand was a must purchase.

I can also attest to NES/Super NES memories in this thread.  My sister had a NES but I would also say that home computers were the more popular item (and I think the UK got the NES relatively late anyway).  The Super NES though... :o 

I don't remember the NES demo units but I do remember the Nintendo arcade machines that I think looked like the one in the comment a few places above.

The only significant memory of Super NES in the shops was of around the time of the launch of Street Fighter II: World Warrior.  Boots in Croydon had a locked-down demo machine that had a security guard right by it, who ensured that everyone got one play before being moved away for the next two people to play.  Debenhams in Croydon (in the Drummond Centre) had a standup Super NES with Street Fighter II: World Warrior that a whole gang of people from many different schools would crowd around jostling to get a go on.

28 minutes ago, Majora said:

I think I only knew one kid with a SNES, everyone else owned a Mega Drive. My perception is definitely that the Mega Drive was the more popular console in the UK but I'm not sure if that's borne out by sales figures or not.

Thats my perception as well. I was in the US for 90-91 at Uni and bought a Gameboy, which hooked me onto Nintendo. Just before the SNES released there were these huge roadshows where you could play the SNES games before it was was released and at the time I was blown away by the graphics and gameplay. I got to try Super Mario World and Madden, and when I got back to the UK I had to buy a SNES. 

And I had reconciled to the fact I wasn't going to be able to get a mini, now all the reminiscing has got me wanting to keep up with the search!