rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

Not advocating piracy at all, but seeing as how the Snes Mini (and the Nes Mini for that matter) are not actually the real consoles inside, and are merely running emulators, why is everyone so excited for this?  I have a modded Wii, and contrary to comments above I find Snes emulation to be perfect.  I have the roms for games I legally own on there, and it's no hardship to make a folder called "snes mini" and drag roms into it should I want to.

If you're trusting Nintendo to make a better emulator than those already out there, remember the sterling job they did on Mario All Stars for the Wii.   That DVD was 99.9% empty and contained a SNES rom and emulator and NOTHING else.  Nice one Nintendo, it's like, your company mascot and most famous character and that's how you treated it. 

It was even demonstrated that the rom wasn't even a clean rip from Nintendo, but one that was downloaded from a rom site! The UK version ran in a letterbox at 50hz.  

I see the appeal for people saying it looks cool and has the proper controllers - but for those saying "I can't wait to play Stunt Race FX again",  it's not even on there, and you can play it, right now, in your browser.

http://emulator.online/snes/stunt-race-fx/

If you have a Wii and an SD card, you could be playing it on your TV in about 15 minutes from now:

I don't see it myself.  

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I'm just not that into the Wii.

I don't like bluetooth / wireless controllers at the best of times and certainly am no fan of playing retro emulation on a sideways Wiimote. I don't like navigating retroarch menus and having to adjust settings using the Wii controller and its pointer. I'm aware it had / has a vibrant homebrew scene but I'm not particularly interested in it like am with a couple of other consoles. I got given someone's spare Wii to mod but I know that I'll probably never get around to booting it - I'll sooner mod my GameCube than crack open a pack of batteries to power Wii controllers. 

37 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

How long are the controller leads going to be on this thing? Hopefully they're a bit longer than those on the NES. 

5 feet I think? Longer, but probably not as long as you'll want them to be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Not advocating piracy at all, but seeing as how the Snes Mini (and the Nes Mini for that matter) are not actually the real consoles inside, and are merely running emulators, why is everyone so excited for this?  I have a modded Wii,

Component 480p out VS nicely scaled images up to 720p via HDMI, also the user experience will be much more streamlined.

• Upvote 1

I've got a curated collection of my favourite 30 SNES titles on original hardware. (All cart only, I'm all about the playing). I've got some expensive ones as well. PAL Firemen, Sunset Riders etc. These game are great. If I can load them on to a SNES Mini with HDMI out and near-authentic controls, do I need to keep my originals? A mini with HDMI out is super convenient, and I don't play my originals as much as I used to. TV/video-out/convenience is an issue. As a late-30s gamer with commitments, I don't play them as much as I used to. I think I'd love to be able to switch on and go. A nice balance of convenience and authentic)  I said I'd never sell my originals. If the emulation on the Mini is OK, and the controls are OK, I'm thinking I may well do so. Who else is in my boat? Thoughts? :)

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I didn't even realise there were different ones on different consoles. I remember playing the PC version. Was that a port of one of those or different again?

Most other versions were ports of the mega drive one. I know this is true for PC, Amiga and Master System

18 hours ago, dumpster said:

Not advocating piracy at all, but seeing as how the Snes Mini (and the Nes Mini for that matter) are not actually the real consoles inside, and are merely running emulators, why is everyone so excited for this? 

The form factor and an authentic controller, but mostly that it's an official, paid-for product. I've been able to play most SNES games whenever I want for the best part of two decades now, but I don't.

When I buy something though, I use it.* These games will get purchased, sat on my sofa in front of the telly, with a friend in some cases. The same when I bought the Mega Drive collection for the 360 even though those games were all available to me anyway, meaning the cute case and proper pad don't matter that much.

*My Steam library doesn't count because reasons.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Ahem.

Northern Irishman.

And corrected...

Don't mind me. I'll just go blush in a corner.

2 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Because the space used for storing ROMs will probably also eat into memory used for storing save states - not to mention how cramming it with as much as possible will likely lead to general system instability. If it turns out that the rewind function demands an amount of free memory from the same pool then that might be all the more reason not to pretend that anyone needs literally an entire Snes romset on this thing.

SNES ROM files sizes are minuscule (SMW is half a megabyte!).

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Not advocating piracy at all, but seeing as how the Snes Mini (and the Nes Mini for that matter) are not actually the real consoles inside, and are merely running emulators, why is everyone so excited for this?

I don't see it myself.  

To butcher William Morris, everything in your home, should be beautiful or practical.

Emulation is practical. But a SNES Mini is beautiful.

• Upvote 1

Nintendo have been busy trying to nuke SNES ROMs from the internet, especially first party titles; they're all gone from the popular emulation sites, some no longer list any Nintendo systems/games at all :( 

3 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Because the space used for storing ROMs will probably also eat into memory used for storing save states - not to mention how cramming it with as much as possible will likely lead to general system instability. If it turns out that the rewind function demands an amount of free memory from the same pool then that might be all the more reason not to pretend that anyone needs literally an entire Snes romset on this thing.

Not going to help. For the Nes classic the preloaded games are in a read only partition. There's no way to liberate that space. Hakchi2 works by making a temp filesystem and writing over the kernel to look for it. 

43 minutes ago, Zombait said:

Nintendo have been busy trying to nuke SNES ROMs from the internet, especially first party titles; they're all gone from the popular emulation sites, some no longer list any Nintendo systems/games at all :( 

This is the internet, nothing can truly be deleted.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Is this still really hard to get?

Well more are being made available to order, but you have to be quick to order one.

I noticed on super play that the Japanese version has five different games. So which games are they not getting? I'm a bit jealous of them having super street fighter 2 but that football game seems like a dreadful addition.

4 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I noticed on super play that the Japanese version has five different games. So which games are they not getting? I'm a bit jealous of them having super street fighter 2 but that football game seems like a dreadful addition.

Earthbound

Kirby’s Dream Course

Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Super Castlevania 4

Super Punch-Out!!

We win overall, I think.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

SNES ROM files sizes are minuscule (SMW is half a megabyte!).

Fan translated patched ROMs are often end up being twice the size of their respective clean ones - and Mario World hacks etc can be 4MB quite easily these days thanks to huge amounts of new graphics, BGMs.and audio samples. And every one of these additional ROMs will need memory allocated to it for the special features of the OS/front end to work.

The point is that judging how NES Classic owners suffered weird system issues and loss of working save state functionality unless they applied some common sense restraint, I wouldn't expect anyone to dump all of their Snes ROMs onto this new one and expect everything to work normally or save slots to be functional for every one of the hundreds of new games. It just seems super unlikely.

Of course if there ends up being a load more functional extra space on the Snes Classic than the NES Classic maybe most of this becomes moot. We'll have to see in about 12 days or something.

The point being that deleting the existing miniscule ROMS is not going to make the slightest jot of difference.

I reckon it will if you want to ensure full system functionality rather than be able to boast that you technically have the entire official library in there. All signs point to SNES Classic innards being similar to its predecessor - and seeing as SNES ROMs are huge compared to NES ones, well, like I said we'll have to see. 

5 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I'm just not that into the Wii.

I don't like bluetooth / wireless controllers at the best of times and certainly am no fan of playing retro emulation on a sideways Wiimote. I don't like navigating retroarch menus and having to adjust settings using the Wii controller and its pointer. I'm aware it had / has a vibrant homebrew scene but I'm not particularly interested in it like am with a couple of other consoles. I got given someone's spare Wii to mod but I know that I'll probably never get around to booting it - I'll sooner mod my GameCube than crack open a pack of batteries to power Wii controllers. 

Wii Classic Controller - it's great!  I wouldn't expect anyone to use Wii remotes with emulation.

I said earlier , I like the idea of the Snes and Nes mini, and for the cute little console with original pads etc, it's very very cool.  By in my original post I couldn't understand the comments like, "can't wait to play x game again!" because it's easy to play them today and surely the people on a forum like this know how to do it, and probably already have.  

I understand the reasons for not going the emulation route and buying one of these devices instead, which makes the idea of hacking one and filling it with roms seem completely insane to me.

Either you want a snes mini or you don't.  Please don't buy such a lovely product and stuff it with roms off the internet!  

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, dumpster said:

I said earlier , I like the idea of the Snes and Nes mini, and for the cute little console with original pads etc, it's very very cool.  By in my original post I couldn't understand the comments like, "can't wait to play x game again!" because it's easy to play them today and surely the people on a forum like this know how to do it, and probably already have.  

I understand the reasons for not going the emulation route and buying one of these devices instead, which makes the idea of hacking one and filling it with roms seem completely insane to me.

Either you want a snes mini or you don't.  Please don't buy such a lovely product and stuff it with roms off the internet!  

Agree completely... not touching my SNES mini. However I am planning on messing around with a Raspberry PI 3 and RetroPie at some point...multiple emulators on there and well MAME on the TV with a stack of old arcade games connected via HDMI .. I know it won't be perfect but well its accessible and doesn't need a monster PC...  :) 

I was thinking about modding my Wii or buying another to mod but decided to go the RetroPie route as it seems to have slightly beefier specs than the Wii.

For me I already have an original UK Super NES.  I also have an emulator.  I'm still getting a Mini. :)

• Upvote 2

I'm pleased that Kirby Super Deluxe was chosen to be on this device, despite being a game late in the machine's life. Yes, it's short, linear as it gets, and not very challenging (at all), but it's great fun, particularly with inexperienced gamers in two-player mode. I'd place in my personal Super NES/Super Famicom top 5, if I'm being honest.