rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

Just had an email from Very to say my order is on track! 

This time next week I may have it in my hands. (wishful thinking)

• Upvote 1

Went to Smyths today (I was at the retail park anyway, wasn’t a specific trip) and asked about preordering a SNES mini for next Friday. “Sure what’s your name?” wow immediate excitement.

Until a voice from above (woman on a ladder) informed the guy serving me they can’t take any more preorders. D’oh!

was worth a shot.

What power adapter do I need for the mini? I know it comes with the cable but if I plug it into an iPhone plug will it work or do I need something better? 

My five to add/will add if a hack becomes available are:

• Pilotwings
  • Actraiser
  • Unirally
  • Simcity
  • Lost Vikings

Still think Pilotwings is a weird omission.

To get into the spirit of the launch of the mini here is great video detailing the launch of the original SNES back in 1991. Forgot how special those mode 7 graphics really were on F-Zero and Pilotwings. Also how beautifully simple Super Mario World is with  tweaks to take advantage of the SNES hardware. Also some nice details about the sound in the SNES too. Really hyped for this!

Not long to wait now (hopefully)... 

It does seem strange that Original Pilotwings isn't on there.  Some say that it hasn't aged well & that was the reason it was left off, & I wondered if the reason might be more that the memory of the SNES Mini is really limited (so as to prevent hacking like with the NES Mini) but now that we know that the same hacking method works it does seem like Nintendo could have put it on there if they'd really wanted to.

With the news that the games have been tweaked to run better on this device though, I wonder if it was that Nintendo found that the game had bugs/flaws that they didn't have the time/inclination to address, & that this may mean that a lot of games you can add through the hacking method have the same issues?

Will these be able to be powered from one of the ports on the Switch dock?

Edit. Presumably I can just use the same power adaptor, so it's just a matter of swapping the cables over. Saves faffing behind the TV again. 

The NES Mini claimed to need a 1A power supply, but plenty reported that they worked from TV USB ports which usually output 0.5A.

Find an old phone charger and give it a go.  It won't do any harm.

If you are still worried about it, read the phone charger, and make sure it says 1A on it.

If you are a proper paranoid android, or, like me and want completeness, the Nintendo Store (hut group) sell the official plug for 8 quid plus postage.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-classic-mini-accessory/nintendo-classic-mini-nintendo-entertainment-system-power-adapter/11363926.html

The Switch power supply is USB-C, these need USB-Micro, so it won't fit.  It would also be proper overkill..

• Upvote 1

Forget about what games everyone wishes were on there, what game are you gonna play first?

Super Ghouls n Ghosts, for me. Such strong memories of that game, of every jump, every treasure chest, every level. In truth I played through it again a few years ago, and it still holds up today. Remember to avoid the fire torch weapon, cus it's shit!

After that I might go for Earthbound. I've never played beyond a few minutes of it, after I bought it on Wii u virtual console. 

• Upvote 1

You can run the NES mini easily from a powerbank... I imagine this is the same.  Looking forward to getting mine.

Is anyone still after a pre-order? I've got one on Amazon that I completely forgot about that I don't need - I was able to get one at Smyths as soon they went up

Assuming that I can change the delivery address I'm happy to get it delivered directly to you (Although I won't take any money 'till it's dispatched just incase there is any stock issues)

• Upvote 1

Imagine that the situation was that you could add any game you wanted to the SNES Mini... but each game made the device 1-3% more unstable (so more likely to crash/hang).

If that was the case, how many would you risk?  Possibly just Chrono Trigger & DKC2 for me, no more.

I've been pleasantly surprised how many people here loved Zombies. It was absolutely brilliant, wasn't it?

I also played a bit of the sequel, Ghoul Patrol. It was clearly a bit of a rush job, didn't have the imagination nor polish of the first game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shedders said:

Is anyone still after a pre-order? I've got one on Amazon that I completely forgot about that I don't need - I was able to get one at Smyths as soon they went up

Assuming that I can change the delivery address I'm happy to get it delivered directly to you (Although I won't take any money 'till it's dispatched just incase there is any stock issues)

Can I take it please?

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Isn't Zombies insanely hard to complete or something? I only played it a little but I really enjoyed it.

I think I got to a point where I had hardly nay neighbours left to save, and I couldn't save them in time so it was game over after game over at that point. 

All of this SNES Mini hype has got me looking into a BVM, an imported Super Famicom (in decent nick) and an SD2SNES... Might have to look at some small desktop speakers and amp combo, too (any recommendations?).

My wife is going to be very, very angry.

• Upvote 1

Isn't Zombies insanely hard to complete or something? I only played it a little but I really enjoyed it.

In my top 3 snes games of all time for sure

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

All of this SNES Mini hype has got me looking into a BVM, an imported Super Famicom (in decent nick) and an SD2SNES... Might have to look at some small desktop speakers and amp combo, too (any recommendations?).

I have a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers that I like (given their small size).

Amazon link

I would just say that the thought of going hardcore retro may well be better than the reality of said pursuit; nostalgia is a powerful force!  That said, if you do go for it then please post some pics in the retro folder setup thread!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

I literally have most of this set up. Not a BVM/PVM and generally on that note the one you're looking for is a Sony PVM-20L4 or 20L5. Those PVM's are the popular choice... but ebay chancers know this, so they can cost a bunch.. or they can cost nothing dependent on where you source one. 

You could instead just get a good 20 inch Sony Tinitron. It would even look technically more "correct" on a consumer CRT with an RGB input. 

Also, with a Super Famicom you'll need a custom made Scart cable - needs something totally different to the usual Nintendo RGB scart cables - and a Megadrive 1 style PSU will work. 

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo/super-nintendo

The SD2SNES is amazing.  

• Upvote 1

Zombies ate my neighbours is an underrated gem and totally deserving of a decent remake. The music! I can still hum a good few of the tunes from the various levels (the giant baby one - dum dum dee dum dum dum dum, dum dum dee dum UH OH). I adored that game. 

Here it is, along with some other gems!

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I literally have most of this set up. Not a BVM/PVM and generally on that note the one you're looking for is a Sony PVM-20L4 or 20L5. Those PVM's are the popular choice... but ebay chancers know this, so they can cost a bunch.. or they can cost nothing dependent on where you source one. 

You could instead just get a good 20 inch Sony Tinitron. It would even look technically more "correct" on a consumer CRT with an RGB input. 

Also, with a Super Famicom you'll need a custom made Scart cable - needs something totally different to the usual Nintendo RGB scart cables - and a Megadrive 1 style PSU will work. 

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo/super-nintendo

The SD2SNES is amazing.  

Thanks. I had, and loved, my 14" flat screen Trinitron from the days of my old setup. Went to collect one for free out here locally, gave the guy 20 euro anyway, then got home to find that the RGB socket was borked. <_< With 500 hours on the timer it's going to the recycling center. Such a shame.

Got my eye on a Sony BVM-1454D. They're going for cheap so I'm going to take a punt. I'm on a strict budget and I don't want to get too silly and obsessive. I'm actually more than happy with emulation right now as I have my Retroarch shaders set up as perfectly and authentic as I've ever seen anything, but this damn silly little mini box has me itching for hardware. :/

6 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

I have a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers that I like (given their small size).

Amazon link

I would just say that the thought of going hardcore retro may well be better than the reality of said pursuit; nostalgia is a powerful force!  That said, if you do go for it then please post some pics in the retro folder setup thread!

They look fucking sick. Pricey though... so I guess they sound the bollocks as well.