IGNORED

SNES Mini

deKay

Broadly speaking I probably prefer 4:3 over 1:1 aspect ratios for SNES games but sometimes it's glorious to have a skinnier window pop with detail with minimal stretch. Depends on the game and mood. With Mega Drive however it's almost always the inauthentic razor sharp 1:1 integer scaling because the higher resolution (naturally being closer to 4:3 aspect ratio) tends to limit the horizontal shrinkage. 

Now imagine the rivers of blood if there was a full screen stretch mode. 

7 hours ago, Swainy said:

I’m out of HDMI ports. Can anyone recommend an HDMI switcher?

It doesn't work with mine for some reason. Not enough power from the console, maybe? I don't understand these things, really. Anyone's advice who does would be welcomed.

Did I read some site said Star Fox is borderline unplayable? What nonsense. I popped it on for a brief look and ended up going through three credits almost but not quite getting through to the  final stage on Venom because I’m not as good as I once was by a long chalk.

It’s still marvellous.

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Did I read some site said Star Fox is borderline unplayable? What nonsense. I popped it on for a brief look and ended up going through three credits almost but not quite getting through to the  final stage on Venom because I’m not as good as I once was by a long chalk.

It’s still marvellous.

LITTERALLY UNPLAYABLE ;) 

6 hours ago, clippa said:

"Yes, don't listen to this."

If the scaling looks muddy to you, choose pixel perfect, it's the best of the bunch.

13300604435_1646bc9326_h.thumb.jpg.97339bd527a3a722171b781ec077acfe.jpg

pixels.thumb.jpg.2017f599826decedfe268c57bf434c4b.jpg

The sharper and cleaner, the better. Anyone slapping a pretend CRT effect over anything deserves to be taken outside and shot!

Welcome to rllmuk™. The length of the pad wires isn't an issue either because you can pay for extensions.

Just don't buy more than one or they'll turn on you.

The games were never meant to look as sharp as modern TV’s display them though. Personally I’m thinking of hooking mine up to a CRT. 

Just thinking then, if I always want 150cc unlocked on SMK or progress in SMW, will I need to have a save game slot in one of the banks at the bottom on the main menu? 

The battery backup on my SNES games still work to this day, so I’m used to progress / unlocks automatically saving

I may have used the save feature on my way to SMW’s Special World :blush: I have done it without save states in the past (albeit on GBA) but I kind of like that safety net.

I’m actually more ashamed of my extra life farming if I’m honest...

10 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Anyone noticed frame drops in Yoshi's Island?

The first main level, go to the underground bit with the stone you can roll, and coins in the air... start firing shells about. Holy crap it's bad! Was the original like that?!

edit: seems that because I haven't used this hdmi socket before the tv defaulted to a horrible preset. Enabling game mode fixed the frame rate issues. Stupid technology!

I wonder if others have some kind of processing enabled on their TVs which is making the games judder? I played a few levels of SMW last night and didn’t notice anything.

Just now, Paulando said:

I wonder if others have some kind of processing enabled on their TVs which is making the games judder? I played a few levels of SMW last night and didn’t notice anything.

Certainly once I realised the error of my ways, I didn't notice any further stuttering. 

52 minutes ago, clippa said:

I don't think they were "Never meant to look as sharp". I think it was just a failing of the technology of the time that they didn't look as sharp as they could have.

I don't like having any sort of filters on when playing old games. Running the games in 4:3 shouldn't look that muddy, they must be using some sort of filter.

I've only tried the Mini connected to the 4k TV I use with my PC. The image isn't very sharp at all, possibly due to the 720p output? I was hoping for pin sharp pixels, like with Sonic Mania / Megaman collection, but I end up with a "smoothing" effect, even with pixel perfect mode selected and all the TV "enhancements" turned off.

I should add it's a fairly cheap LG 4k TV, so mileage may vary for others. Not tried a native 1080p display yet, it might look better on that?

1 hour ago, clippa said:

I don't think they were "Never meant to look as sharp". I think it was just a failing of the technology of the time that they didn't look as sharp as they could have.

I don't like having any sort of filters on when playing old games. Running the games in 4:3 shouldn't look that muddy, they must be using some sort of filter.

You think the artists were magically using some kind of display technology that didn’t exist yet to see the results of their work?

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Do I use save states to save my game then? So if I play mario world I need to make a save state to save my game? 

You can use any in-game saving mechanism as you would have done originally, which is all I've done for SMW so far. On top of that, you can use the built in save-anywhere save states (4 per game).

9 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Played 3 worlds of Super Mario World. There’s no judder. It’s pretty much exactly like it is when played on original hardware, which I own and have recently played through most of SMW on my Super Famicom. 

I'm sorry but there is something extremely weird going on with the scrolling on some of the games and especially on super mario world. On Yoshi's Island level 3, if you stand on one of the rotating platforms and watch mario closely, there is this weird pixel distortion happening. I wouldn't call it judder, but its definitely something.

And I'm on a 96 inch projector screen and also have a framemeister with an original snes to compare, so I'm fairly confident this is not how it originally looked. ;)

That said, the thing is still wonderful. The pads feel great (better than the originals to me) and most of the games run fine and play very well. I am looking forward to cracking the thing and customising the game selection.

23 hours ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

All conveniently stored on the phone!

47060EDC-6C99-4A1E-A028-66A5B7B8EDDA.png

Looks like it’s on an iPhone yes? Never really look at or keep PDFs on mine so mind me asking if that’s an app that you’ve got them on there and if so which one? 

1 hour ago, footle said:

You think the artists were magically using some kind of display technology that didn’t exist yet to see the results of their work?

They worked within the confines of the technology, that doesn't mean looking sharper is wrong or adds anything detrimental to the experience.

The games I've played, in my experience, all benefit from a sharper image.

The image is still coming out of the machine in the same way.

Artists' draw to the final product. If I'm creating an image that will be printed out, I make sure it's colour corrected. Game art back in the day was created on PCs, Amigas etc, these were driven by CRT monitors. The end user would be using a monitor or TV. Therefore when I'm creating my art it's to the limitations of the display I'm using. All game art was created to make use of the lovely bleeding and glow that a CRT gives you etc. One of the best examples I can give is Robocop by DataEast. It has gorgeous graphics, absolutely fantastic.. on a CRT, especially a proper arcade monitor. Those same graphics on a modern LCD in pixel perfect mode look incredibly bland, lifeless and simple.

3 hours ago, clippa said:

Agreed. The graphics would have been drawn mostly on PC's with sharp monitors.  All this guff about blurry visuals and scanlines being how the developers 'meant' them to look is cobblers.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

The judder isn't on every game for me.   SMW judders.  Secret of Mana is smooth as butter.   Whilst it's possible it isn't happening for everyone,  it's definitely real.

4 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Agreed. The graphics would have been drawn mostly on PC's with sharp monitors.  All this guff about blurry visuals and scanlines being how the developers 'meant' them to look is cobblers.

Some artists definetly designed for the CRT. Dan Malone over here is a prominent example where he picked colours based around colour bleed on old TVs. The colours on Konami and Irem arcade games look insane emulating on a modern monitor but we completely natural back in the day when played in the arcade. Capcom were very good at compensating for different aspect ratios and their arcade games had a higher horizontal resolution per scan line to pack in more detail, seen clean on a modern PC the graphics are clearly stretched.

Not everyone was doing it but it did happen. 

I can’t believe people are arguing for pixel perfect modes here. They’re almost never the right aspect ratio; the consoles used modes where one logical pixel didn’t correspond to one pixel on the display. 

(One of the most common modes draws 224 dots across 240 physical pixels. You can’t reproduce that in a pixel perfect mode.)

96 pages, nice.