rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mentazm

I'm Dying Up Here - 70s LA Comedy Scene

Know who Mitzi Shore is? You should probably be watching I'm Dying up Here, Showtime's new Sunday night one hour drama about the Los Angeles comedy circuit, mostly focused around one club, very closely based on The Comedy Store. Melissa Leo play's basically Mitzi Shore, who gave loads of massive comedians their big break by putting them up at the club.

I'm only really a part-time comedy nerd, most of what I know I've gleaned from comedians podcasts over the years, but I'm still loving this. It's really well acted, evocative of the time period through spot on detailing. With heavy like hitters Melissa Leo and Alfred Molina and being exec produced by Jim Carrey I thought it would be getting more promotion and love, but it's on the fifth episode tomorrow and it's not really getting much buzz at all, want to fix that so it gets a second series, as I'd like to see an eighties and nineties version.

31488.jpg

im_dying_up_here_cast.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is actually great. It's pretty much everything that Vinyl and The Get Down tried and failed to be. It nails the tone, it's funny, the characters are likeable. It has just enough darkness to give the comedy some weight.

Melissa Leo gives a blistering performance as Goldie.

No one is watching it however, as evidenced by this topic and it can't be cheap to make with such a great ensemble cast and spot on period detailing, so I'm sure it's a one and done show. Just awaiting the cancellation notice from Showtime. Especially now it's going up against Game of Thrones tonight! 300k viewership will probably drop to half that.

looks good - the fact its not been shown yet in the UK will hamper the chat about it here somewhat - I can't be arsed to pirate anything nowadays so will wait for it to come on Sky or one of the UK streaming services.

Yeah you are probably right. Just surprised there's not more buzz about it with Jim Carey producing. It's apparently on Sky Atlantic in the autumn.

That's the first series done. I think it went out strong, but I'm not 100% sure about one aspect of the finale, so if anyone's watching it pipe up so we can discuss!

I haven't watched this week's, but I've been really enjoying it so far. It's a fun world they've built, and keeps the balance of light and shade quite nicely.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, dfq23 said:

She's Pauly Shore's mum

He was on Joe Rogan's podcast a week or so ago. Saying his dad doesn't get enough credit, as it was him that started the club.

He also came across very bitter, saying how sad he feels that his happiest years were in his teens and early twenties. I empathised!

I haven't seen this, but I've read the book. Does the show have actors playing the actual comedians - Robin Williams, Letterman, Leno? From the trailer it looked like none of them were on it, couldn't see how that would work.

Finished it the other day. I definitely enjoyed it, and will watch the next round. Wouldn't mind if they did a multi-year gap between series', and showed a new era of comedians (and new style of comedy) coming up.

I hope that the 

Mob intervention

storyline is over. Not because it's unrealistic - I'm sure it's how things went - but it's a go-nowhere storyline when someone has all the power.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mentazm said:

It's a mix of real comedians and comedy actors in the cast.

Will have to check it out, thanks.