IGNORED

8bitdo

Mentazm

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Do they have/do/did any designs on the glorious Sega Mega Drive / Saturn Six Button controller AKA the ultimate 2D gaming input device?

I'd imagine that shoehorning in a couple of analogue sticks in a way that preserves all that is great about these pads (especially the Saturn one) might be the reason why this might never be a reality. You cant improve perfection.

I've got one of those as well. I originally got it for Mame on my Pi3. I've ordered one of the adapters to use it via bluetooth on my NES mini. I'm hoping the same adapter will work when I get my SNES mini too.

7 hours ago, ca18s13 said:

I paid £27 for my SNES one (SFC30) but i have seen them for as low as £22 on Amazon. Different sellers and different prices so i don't know if they're different or all selling an identical product.

I've had one of these for over a year now, but it hasn't seen any use in an age. I found that all but a few PC indie games supported it, and couldn't get any (mac based) emulators to work properly with it either. Is it more widely supported these days or something?

1 hour ago, imp said:

I've had one of these for over a year now, but it hasn't seen any use in an age. I found that all but a few PC indie games supported it, and couldn't get any (mac based) emulators to work properly with it either. Is it more widely supported these days or something?

Works fine in Fuse, Retroarch and OpenEmu on a Mac. No issues at all.

12 hours ago, imp said:

Works fine in snes9x on mac!

12 hours ago, imp said:

Firstly I'd update the firmware - not sure if there's any way of discovering what firmware is on there? Secondly, you can boot it up in different modes by holding power or power-and-a-button-I-can't-remember-which-does-what. Problem I have is I'm never quite sure which setting relates to which firmware version, there are some instructions below that show all the different options but same issue applies for example Wii/Wii U functionality definitely needed a specific firmware (FC30 Pro, at least).

http://jp.8bitdo.com/fc30pro/Manual.html

Here's the manual for the functionality of the latest firmware (I believe due to memory limitations it can only store so many functions, hence why it can't have every option loaded at once - so while Switch has been added as an option here, it had to be in place of something else)

http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Controller/NES30pro+FC30pro/NES30pro+FC30pro_Manual_V4.pdf

Even better, some of the different modes have different bluetooth profiles so for example I can use one mode for my Steam Link (I think I use power+R1 for this one) and the other for my Android Device (I think I use the standard startup here) without having to reconfigure the pairing between them all the time. 

I just got an SFC30 and was able to pair it with my iPhone, but since upgrading to the latest firmware to make it work with the Switch, I'm no longer able to connect or pair with it on the phone.  The firmware 4.0 manual has dropped any reference to iOS, too.  Does that sound about right?  Have they dropped support for iOS in the latest firmware?  I've tried all the pairing methods mentioned in the manual but none seem to work.  Only thing left to try would be downgrading the firmware and trying again I suppose.

They dropped keyboard mode with 4.0, which is how it worked with iOS.

From the update notes.

- iCade mode and Keyboard mode are no longer active in Firmware 4.0, please download and install Legacy firmware for this functionality 

46 minutes ago, Popo said:

I've downgraded and subsequently upgraded to the latest firmware again and now it won't pair with the Switch.  Does anyone have similar experiences?

Restarted the Switch and it works again.  That's Bluetooth for you I suppose.

The pairing on these can definitely be a little messy. I tried connecting my zero to an iphone and now I can't get it to work on my android phone anymore. Doesn't help the manual is probably the vaguest thing I've ever tried to read. It says to reset hold the button don for more than 2 seconds...but which button?

46 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Can you pair an 8bitdo controller to two seperate devices (obviously not running simultaneously)? So my Switch and Pi recognise the controllers depending which console is turned on? I figured this should be possible but no clue how Bluetooth works.

No, one at a time. Bluetooth devices can usually only pair with one host at a time.

2 hours ago, sir shrew said:

Can you pair an 8bitdo controller to two seperate devices (obviously not running simultaneously)? So my Switch and Pi recognise the controllers depending which console is turned on? I figured this should be possible but no clue how Bluetooth works.

Yes I think so, but it seems to depend on which button combo you press to turn it on - start + Y will allow the Switch to recognise it, start + A a MacBook, and so on. I think provided you've paired it once it will be remembered by that device, but if you use the 'wrong' start method it won't.  

Still flakey though. 

8 hours ago, Popo said:

Yes I think so, but it seems to depend on which button combo you press to turn it on - start + Y will allow the Switch to recognise it, start + A a MacBook, and so on. I think provided you've paired it once it will be remembered by that device, but if you use the 'wrong' start method it won't.  

Yeah, I use the standard power on to use it with an android device and power+R to use it on the Steam Link without having to set up the pairing again every time.

I love my SFC30, picked it up a few years ago and used it with Snes9X on the iPad, long haul flights went in a jiffy battling through Actraiser.

For the last year it's been my default pad for Lakka, works so well for many platforms and pairs well over bluetooth.

I do admire that they continue to release firmware upgrades, bit of a bugger that they removed keyboard mode for iOS with the latest release, which I moved to so I could use it with the Switch.

3 minutes ago, Madjock said:

I love my SFC30, picked it up a few years ago and used it with Snes9X on the iPad, long haul flights went in a jiffy battling through Actraiser.

For the last year it's been my default pad for Lakka, works so well for many platforms and pairs well over bluetooth.

I do admire that they continue to release firmware upgrades, bit of a bugger that they removed keyboard mode for iOS with the latest release, which I moved to so I could use it with the Switch.

Would be nice if they could release a few more variants of the firmware so you could have Switch and iOS but lose something else.

5 minutes ago, ca18s13 said:

Would be nice if they could release a few more variants of the firmware so you could have Switch and iOS but lose something else.

Suggest it on their forums. I'm sure they (or someone else) will accommodate.

Or just buy another one.

19 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Last I checked, the forums of old are gone. Any idea if they've been replaced or moved or something?

Blimey - they have! No idea then.