IGNORED

Creed 2

JohnC

Aye, Creed was bloody good. Creed v Drago Jr sequel... yeah, sure, think there's enough goodwill towards the Rocky franchise for that to be just fine.

After IV, thought there was no chance Rocky would get back to the soul of the first film, but both Balboa and Creed had some really heartfelt, tender moments. Creed even managed to have some boxing that wasn't complete pish!

In Creed despite constantly referencing Apollo and his death they go out of their way never to reference the specifics. Probably because Creed is quite a serious film and his dad was killed by a giant Soviet cartoon character and then Rocky single handedly ended the Cold War in retaliation. So bit surprising they're shining a spotlight on it in the sequel.

Great, thanks Despin. The actual film is gonna be proper shite now compared to that. 

Watching a funeral procession through those same streets of Philly that I grew up with Rocky on might well finish me off. 

I reckon that Rocky means more to me than any fictional character in terms of who inspired me and taught me right from wrong and gave me someone to root for when I was a kid.  More than James Bond, more than Batman or Superman and more Luke Skywalker, maybe even 

more than John Matrix.

Watching him die would be fucking agonising. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first Creed or Rocky Balboa.  Seemed very slow in the middle.  Not enough 'GETTING STRONG NOW!' and while the end fight was really good as you'd expect, I ended up rooting for Drago to win.  I thought not enough was made of Drago and his old man - maybe because of that.

Sly though was *brilliant* in it.

I listened to the slashfilmcast about this last night. Wow. If you want to hear a director (Joseph Khan, director of Detention) go off on one about the state of American filmmaking in general, how 'shit' Creed 2 is specifically, lambast anyone who likes it and basically call one of the hosts (the only white guy) a massive racist for liking it, well, its the podcast for you! 

https://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-495-creed-ii-guest-joseph-kahn-director-of-bodied/

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it tonight. Some spoilers so read what you will.

I didn’t connect with Creed’s story like I did with the first film, his emotional baggage didn’t have the same depth, the boxing narrative was lacking and didn’t feel like a big fight (ironic considering we had the promoter character whose entire MO was to hype a big fight) and I didn’t find Rocky’s apprehension over seeing his sons family as engaging as his character and struggles in the previous film.

Also found the start too rushed, I went into the film expecting it to be a film about the chase as it’s one of the most engaging parts of a sports narrative. Instead the chase was over after the opening and it messed with the narrative structure, we had to watch Creed hold the crown despite never really experiencing a struggle to take that crown in the first place (Creed I, like Rocky I was a film about proving you can do something, that you can go the distance). I get they didn’t want to copy Rocky II but Rocky II was Rocky II for a good reason.

Much of the film was throwaway and things just happened. I was expecting there to be a pay off to the broken street light, there wasn’t. The training was gimmicky and just happened, it wasn’t like previous Rocky films where the training method had a very clear narrative reason behind it. Creed becoming a father also lacked gravity, it just happened. Adonis is a father now but despite that and his daughters deafness there was never a sense of him going through a hard time, something the previous Rocky films were founded on. Rocky I & II portrayed Balboa as someone down on his luck who needed a big change in his life to push him. Rocky III did a good job of painting the idea of a boxer who had lost his fire, Creed lacked those same impressions and it hurt the overall film.

Finally with all that said, I felt bad for Viktor Drago when the film was over. His Father lost everything and in the end he fought for ultimately one thing and one thing only: to show that he could be a hero. A character with that struggle really deserved more depth and development. Instead he was just angry. We’re told he’s angry because it’s a revenge plot but deep down it’s a far more tragic anger, it’s a lack of acceptance and belonging.

i enjoyed the film but the flaws are laid bare for all to see.