IGNORED

PS2 Controller -- What are my options?

Sledge

My PS2 pad in getting noticeably decrepit -- had to happen sooner or later but it does put me in the market for a replacement and wondering what folk would recommend? Any trusty gizmo that'll let me plug in an Xbox/PS4 pad, or a reliable supplier of original controllers, or am I doomed to [clutches pearls] hawking Ebay for 3rd party claptrap? Guidance plz my lovelies.

14 hours ago, Sledge said:

My PS2 pad in getting noticeably decrepit -- had to happen sooner or later but it does put me in the market for a replacement and wondering what folk would recommend? Any trusty gizmo that'll let me plug in an Xbox/PS4 pad, or a reliable supplier of original controllers, or am I doomed to [clutches pearls] hawking Ebay for 3rd party claptrap? Guidance plz my lovelies.

I've bought a couple from CEX in the past of the original controllers. They are covered under their 2 year warranty and all that and if it turns up and it's in poorer condition than you hoped you can return them with no fuss within the 14 days.There are a couple of retro stores locally that I go to so have a look out and see if there are any close to you?

My beloved clear florescent yellow PS2 pad I bought in 2003 is nearing the end. The top of the left stick has come loose and shifts around when you try to push the stick in a direction, making your thumb slide about. You can't make things go in a straight line. It's no wonder though as it's had constant use. Would love a direct replacement but can't find one anywhere.

I'm in the same situation since the last couple of years or so when playing through Summoner and finding that throughout the whole game, I'd end up with random buttons being triggered for no apparent reason. I took it apart and put it all back together again but couldn't find the problem, though it seems to do with circuitry no doubt. I bought this from e-bay at a decent low price brand new back in 2006 or so from ebay and it was official. I've got an unofficial pad but didn't like the way it felt having gotten so used to the original, mostly the way the analogue sticks felt. It's the main reason I haven't returned back to my PS2 since. 

I have a phenomenally good retro shop opened up recently nearby (of which I should post in more detail and shall) which had completely failed to enter my mind. If I come across any decent adapters* I'll link 'em also.

*Not an easy area, I discover, as search results are inevitably dominated by the Brook adapters which allow you to use a PS2 pad on your PS4/XBox/PC, as if that wasn't an insanely useless result in 2017. Google phoning it in, there.