rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

2 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

The MGU-K in the 919 is on the front axle though. So any time you're not on the throttle, you're effectively braking the front wheels.

Interesting, the re-charge was definitely higher when the brake balance was sent to the rear wheels......?

I always thought that brake bias to the rear meant the front wheels have less braking to do, so they can do more steering, so you get better turn in. Conversely brake bias to the front means the fronts have more work to do, so you get understeer.

I may not really know what I'm talking about. God knows I'm hardly the fastest in this game.

Anyway in 4WD cars I tend to leave it in the middle.

As a semi-relevant aside, I drive an i3 which is RWD. It's a right bugger to drive in snow and ice because there's tons of instant torque, which means wheelspin, and any time you lift off the throttle, the regen makes the rear wheels lock up as though you'd yanked the handbrake on. And since there's only one gear, you can't do the usual cold-weather techniques like selecting a higher ratio than normal.

16 hours ago, marsh said:

Therefore I tend to have the brake balance whacked up to 5 on the front

wat

Forum racing again tonight! Be there at 8:30 PM UK for the online fun with forumites and friends :)

Be sure to UPDATE YOUR PS4 - firmware v7.00 was launched last week and takes a little while to install.

Also, this enables 16 player parties so let's try to fill that up straight away :D

Also, I may cause a hint of echo as I can't use a proper headset now - will be on comms with the earpiece and keep the TV volume down-ish.

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Damn right. How about La Sarthe in LMP1 cars + tyres and fuel. Make it our 'feature' race.

Sure, let's! I imagine 8 laps could be a good one for this 8-)

• Upvote 1

I'm unlikely to get on tonight because our home internet connection still isn't fixed. It's up but it's intermittent and suddenly drops out with no warning, which is no use for online MP. :(

In other news my girlfriend bought me a PSVR at the weekend and oh god it's wonderful. The resolution is low and the gameplay is very limited but I don't care. (I actually prefer time trials to racing anyway.)

Anyway, it's SO MUCH EASIER in VR!

My old personal best at the Nordschleife was 6:52 in the Dallara Super Formula car. On my first hot lap with the headset on I did a 6:20.

It's still not that impressive a time (I found a video of someone doing it in the Mercedes F1 car in under 5 minutes) but it shocked me how much faster I am in VR. I reckon I can do it under 6.

Can't wait for the PS5 when hopefully there'll be enough computing power available to run the full game in VR.

Fun fact: just like the real drivers say, you really don't see the halo. It's right there, but your vision converges past it.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

I assume GTS probably does something similar although I don't remember noticing a specific option for it in GTS.

yeah i think it does something similar, think it sets it automatically based on the car, but unfortunately you can't change it manually. well you can but you have to do it every time you start driving via the wheel - which is really puts me off playing the game.

Apologies to @Junker for my atrocious move at Interlagos, wrecked the race for the pair of us!

That aside, top entertainment as always.

• Upvote 2

Is it possible to save the game in the middle of a single-player race?

I had a look at the endurance races today, and don't really fancy 60 laps of the nurburgring all in one sitting.

Those F1s look amazing. I can’t believe we all had different liveries for once. Brands was a great track for them, but I could barely hold on through the corners; I have no idea why, but I could swear that I kept understeering on the power, which doesn’t seem like it should be possible. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, marsh said:

Apologies to @Junker for my atrocious move at Interlagos, wrecked the race for the pair of us!

That aside, top entertainment as always.

Good job my headset was flat!! Nevermind, I enjoyed trying to battle back up through the pack. Le Mans I had to drop out as my kids were hassling me, and I didn’t own one of them old F1 cars you were racing round Brands but I will buy one for next time as it looked ace fun

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Junker said:

Good job my headset was flat!! Nevermind, I enjoyed trying to battle back up through the pack. Le Mans I had to drop out as my kids were hassling me, and I didn’t own one of them old F1 cars you were racing round Brands but I will buy one for next time as it looked ace fun

It was a bit Senna/Prost, my greatest time trial nemesis, side by side going into turn one and I totally fuck up my braking point sending both of us off into a world of poo. I need to spend a bit more time racing online rather than pounding out lap times on my own, my race craft was miles out last night.

For some rather unknown reason I decided to change my view to in car mid way through the F1500 race, I think I lasted a lap before having to switch back. Weird as in the career mode I'd be using it quite alot.

• Upvote 2

Well that was another great night of racing for sure :D Liked to do another semi-endurance race around Le Mans (and even finished as best non-hybrid / diesel car!) and the F1500's around Brands Hatch was another classic - but I was mostly impressed with our close racing of Mazda Roadsters around Interlagos!

Still not a fan of the track at all but this was just top-notch racing. A bit on the edge at times, but having the car setup as it should be (no BoP) enabled some lovely slides as we were all fighting for positions ALL THE TIME:

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, bum said:

Is it possible to save the game in the middle of a single-player race?

I had a look at the endurance races today, and don't really fancy 60 laps of the nurburgring all in one sitting.

Anyone?

2 minutes ago, bum said:

Anyone?

I'm afraid not. Think there used to be a mid-race save feature in GT4 I think but not in GT Sport.

That said, you could still pause the game and even put the PS4 in sleep mode (but not play other games).

2 minutes ago, bum said:

Anyone?

As far as I'm aware I don't think it is, and that's the reason the prize money is quite so high.....When I can find an hour I'll have a punt.

Meanwhile, the cock on the bonnet of my mazda was outshone by the cock behind the wheel :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

Good fun last night, thanks for hosting Joe !

Felt like the Mazda was understeering a bit into corners, maybe i need to fiddle with BB a bit next time. Le Mans was a lot of fun, still messed up some corners and had another small MPD control battle but a huge improvement compared to last week, really happy with that. The 919 much more manageable on La Sarthe compared to Fuji as expected but was completely drained after those 7 laps :blush: 

Was onboard with many of you for a few laps in the Formula cars and it looked like an absolute blast, especially from cockpit view. Definitely need one of those.

• Upvote 1

Another night of top racing. Once again sorry to @PeteBrant for the contact in the LMP1 race. The crazy difference in speed between the cars in the twisty bits caught me out. My lap was all about not allowing anyone behind to get a tow so I could pull out a lead in the twisty bits. Was fun having a bit of a charge through the field on my 2 stop.

From next week I'll only be on from about 9.20 as I've signed up for German lessons. :blink2: :doh: Planning to have my wheel and rig ready so when I cycle home, it's ditch my bike and boot up asap! Dammit this means i'll miss all the N class races. Shucks!

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  GT5 had a mid-race save, although it needed it with some races being 24 hours.

Oh well.

19 minutes ago, mexos said:

Dammit this means i'll miss all the N class races. Shucks!

Pff, you know you love the Mazda Roadster Touring Car ;)

27 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Felt like the Mazda was understeering a bit into corners, maybe i need to fiddle with BB a bit next time. Le Mans was a lot of fun, still messed up some corners and had another small MPD control battle but a huge improvement compared to last week, really happy with that. The 919 much more manageable on La Sarthe compared to Fuji as expected but was completely drained after those 7 laps :blush: 

Was onboard with many of you for a few laps in the Formula cars and it looked like an absolute blast, especially from cockpit view. Definitely need one of those.

Yeah, I tend to struggle with understeer a lot too around Interlagos, especially in that bastard turn 4 after the back straight which so often hands me time penalties <_<

This time went a lot better though: I set the brake balance on 2 to the rear (as I often do, liking a loose rear) but also untightened the anti-roll bars a bit (down to 3 or 4 each I think) -  initially just tightening the rear just produced more oversteer but didn't take away the understeer.

The balance was a lot better as a result and I enjoyed the race a lot, even fighting for the win until the end despite this whole race being on my least favourite track!

• Upvote 1

Grand racing as usual.

I really have to cut out the silly unforced errors. I lost it in the final corner of lap 1 in the Mazda's in 3rd place and cut the chicane on the last corner at Le Mans and got a penalty to put me 3rd. 

Love the concentration of the longer races, just clearly don't have the endurance part down yet. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Yeah, I tend to struggle with understeer a lot too around Interlagos, especially in that bastard turn 4 after the back straight which so often hands me time penalties <_<

This time went a lot better though: I set the brake balance on 2 to the rear (as I often do, liking a loose rear) but also untightened the anti-roll bars a bit (down to 3 or 4 each I think) -  initially just tightening the rear just produced more oversteer but didn't take away the understeer.

The balance was a lot better as a result and I enjoyed the race a lot, even fighting for the win until the end despite this whole race being on my least favourite track!

Cheers for the tips, will definitely try that out. 

Good fun last night.

Some nice close racing around Interlagos,  managed to just about keep ahead of a charging @McSpeed to take the win.

Thought I could fit a quick toilet trip in before the start of the LMP race, as I finished my qualifying lap and quite a few cars were still running, only to come back to being sat on an empty grid :doh: :lol:

Had an interesting moment in the F1500 race, hit a stray  cone on the track and the car took off!

launch.jpg

• Upvote 8

Just now, Batmobile said:

Had an interesting moment in the F1500 race, hit a stray  cone on the track and the car took off!

Ha same thing happened to me in the LMP 1 race, right in front of @mexos

You'd think they'd have sorted this cone/motocross malarky out over the past two years...........unless it's deliberate??

GR2 daily race qualifying gauntlet thrown down. Not sure I've got much to find there. GR2 feels amazing around that circuit.

• Upvote 2

Love watching the Mazda Interlagos vid from Monday night, and that Labatts livery @mexos makes me happy and nostalgic. Such a shame I’m usually busy on Mondays but if I’m ever free I will definitely join. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, marsh said:

I really must get myself an amazingly obscure 80's themed livery for my F1500....

I was thinking of doing the Ligier Art car.

• Upvote 1