rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Gonna pick this back up again over the course of this week ready to return to action next Monday .

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, marsh said:

Anyway, just a gentle reminder that if you plan on doing the Spa race tonight, make sure you do the update. The update is fairly small but the copying takes AGES.

I presume that's the update that came in over the weekend, and there isn't a new one?

How does one go about joining?  

/n00b

Aye, it is indeed. For racing on Monday nights send @McSpeed a friends request, and for weekly Time Trialing you need @Junker

I see the pimp has sent the audi round Fuji in a mildly rapid time already <_<

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Just had an initial 30 minutes on Fuji. Tried the Ferrari first off and it felt a bit iffy so went for the Huracan and discovered it wasn't the car that felt bad, it was the circuit :lol: - started working my way down to the low 1.41 (think I am 1.41.1 currently) bracket but I think to be on par with what I did last week in the GR3 I am going to need to get into the low 1.40 or high 1.39.

But, look - Herman Tilke gets some shit from people for what he did to certain tracks. Some of it is unfair, but oh man poor Fuji. Poor, poor Fuji *shakes head sadly*.

I mean, the last section of it is almost inexcusably bad isn't it? It's like Tilke got the job to renovate the place and then went on an amazing quest to visit the world's libraries in search of the only remaining copy of 'How To Build A Terrible Racing Circuit' by the guy that designed the Nivelles track F1 raced on in 1972 and 1974. You can argue to the cows come home about the virtues of Honda and Toyota and which builds the better cars/has achieved more in racing, but you certainly can't argue with which owns the better Japanese circuit!

Tl;dr - I don't like Fuji very much :sherlock:

I quite like it.....

The only reason F1 doesn't go back is that it's in the middle of fucking nowhere. The same fate that fell on Autopolis, it's just too remote to be in anyway useable.

• Upvote 1

Yes, everyone rejoice for the 90 minutes of Spa tonight!

Lobby will be open at 8PM UK time as per usual :) Bring your favourite Gr. 3 car. After practice and a short qualifying session, the big race will include refueling and tyre changes.

19 minutes ago, marsh said:

Aye, it is indeed. For racing on Monday nights send @McSpeed a friends request

Since we may well be looking at two lobbies again tonight, do I recall you suggested to setup the second lobby?

In that case, let's meet up at 7:45PM to sync settings if that works for you.

32 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I presume that's the update that came in over the weekend, and there isn't a new one?

How does one go about joining?

I think we're already friends on PSN now, right? What's your PSN name again?

34 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Gonna pick this back up again over the course of this week ready to return to action next Monday .

Great stuff Pete, looking forward to have you join in the racing again! :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Yes, everyone rejoice for the 90 minutes of Spa tonight!

Lobby will be open at 8PM UK time as per usual :) Bring your favourite Gr. 3 car. After practice and a short qualifying session, the big race will include refueling and tyre changes.

Since we may well be looking at two lobbies again tonight, do I recall you suggested to setup the second lobby?

I think we're already friends on PSN now, right? What's your PSN name again?

Great stuff Pete, looking forward to have you join in the racing again! :)

Yep, I'm sure we are.  I'm Corranga.

Wasn't sure if there was anything more complicated :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

I did indeed, will be on standby.

Popped in a 1.40.5 on Fuji just now. Not bad - I think my optimum is a 1.40.1 which wouldn’t be too far from Marsh (although he quite possibly did that time one-handed whilst reading a newspaper).

Very easy to get too enthusiastic and lose time in the last sector. Keeping calm and carrying speed into the apexes isn’t easy!

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Yep, I'm sure we are.  I'm Corranga.

Wasn't sure if there was anything more complicated :)

Just added you to the group!

46 minutes ago, marsh said:

I did indeed, will be on standby.

Splendid, let's chat at 7:45PM.

17 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Popped in a 1.40.5 on Fuji just now. Not bad - I think my optimum is a 1.40.1 which wouldn’t be too far from Marsh (although he quite possibly did that time one-handed whilst reading a newspaper).

Very easy to get too enthusiastic and lose time in the last sector. Keeping calm and carrying speed into the apexes isn’t easy!

Well done! Will you be joining us tonight, too? :)

Sadly not sir - got an online shop turning up and having to sort out a shower filter. I’ll be making my race debut next Monday :)

Have fun everyone!

So pumped for the 16th of Spa. I'll probably bin it at T1, using my usual trick which is to pirouette 180 degrees up the pit exit and crash into the wall right in front of the photographer that stands there :)

• Upvote 1

@McSpeed @marsh I won’t be around @ 19:45, more like 20:00 to 20:15 I expect, hopefully that’s ok with a bit of practice and quali. I’m happy to start at the back of the grid anyway, probably best with my lack of GT Sport racing recently and number of spins I had on recent practice.

Also due to my lack of practice I’m happy to drop out if it means everyone else can race on the same server.

• Upvote 3

That was great, I did also spot Batmobile with epic fastest lap trolling. It's almost like he was getting me back for that go kart lap at laguna seca last week ;)

Superb all round.

• Upvote 3

Good fun but too many incidents for me, flat headphones = crash, knocked h-shifter while trying to plug in cable which knackered my gear changes for a couple of laps until I realised and another crash reaching to remove headphone dongle from PS4 lol. Next time I’ll prepare better!

• Upvote 1

Great stuff, a very enjoyable if intense race! Just my view, but I much prefer racing GT cars - I can concentrate on racing and not catching the car from spinning out each corner.

• Upvote 4

Thanks guys that was great, if a little lonely back in 9th. 

Things I’ve leant:

When the car starts sliding around, tyres are gone, 2 more laps just because it’s only lap 5 isn’t such a good plan.

Regardless of how cold the room is, don’t start a 90 minute race with a jumper and a fleece on.

The Kemmel straight isn’t quite ideal for removing said fleece.

My wheel randomly disconnects, despite being wired.

Just lift off and let a lapping car though, don’t also run wide and spin in front of them.

Don’t lift off and give up a position when the lapping car is 2 behind!
After about an hour when you go deep 3 corners in a row, it’s probably because you’ve stopped braking hard enough.

Anecdotes aside, I really enjoyed it :)

• Upvote 8

21people synchronised brilliantly across 2 lobbies by @McSpeed and @marsh doing a 90 minute endurance race round Spa last night was incredible.

I’ll be honest at around half way I was questioning my life decisions  but then towards the last 20 minutes trying to work out when to pit, which tyres and how much fuel to put in to get to the end it got exciting again.
After 39 laps to have finished with a 6 second gap to the leader and 8 seconds ahead of the car behind was incredible.

Next week there is serious talk about something similar around Monza or Bathurst....

Right now is a golden age of GT Sport racing on here, if anyone of any ability fancies a got at it shout up in the thread and join in.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 9

So...  I think the full results from last night are something like this:

(I'm assuming Pimp and Noble in Lobby A did 40 laps, whilst Badger, Marsh, Junker and Buffalos in Lobby B did 39.  If Pimp only did 39 then that changes things considerably! :))

Lobby	Name			Laps	Time
A	Pimpalicious_MZ		40	01:31:56.791
A	Nobloski		40	01:32:06.761
A	MikeSeymour91		39	01:30:43.387
A	scarliley		39	01:30:49.005
A	mexos3			39	01:30:52.081
A	mrmorcs			39	01:31:05.595
B	Badger_GT		39	01:31:06.000
A	lukesmithf1		39	01:31:08.785
B	JUNKERDENB		39	01:31:12.522
B	vladthegimp10		39	01:31:20.730
A	TheRallyBart		39	01:31:36.428
A	Dark-Luiskoe47		39	01:31:40.633
B	Count_Buffalos		39	01:32:04.323
B	Fretnoise		38	01:30:19.948
B	Scooby_S		38	01:30:26.634
B	GwiDan			38	01:30:51.599
B	Batmobile		38	01:30:53.999
B	Corranga		37	01:31:09.378
B	beenabadbunny		36	01:30:18.681

@McSpeed What happened to you and fighterdj?

I had an excellent time.  I misjudged (couldn't find!) the pit entry for my second stop and parked it in the barrier which probably cost me the place on Lobby B's lead lap, and couldn't quite get the mental arithmetic right for my last fuel stop and had to fuel save, lift and coast, and tuck in behind @beenabadbunny as he unlapped himself... but you live and learn :D

Where next?

• Upvote 7

Great racing last night. Massive pity Joe has such a dog of a car. Sorry you couldn’t continue. I was behind you for a bit at the start and it it’s back end was all over the place. Didn’t look like fun.

I got punted off, I think Bart said I’d ghosted so he went for the move and I then un ghosted. So 5 or 6 laps of hunting down the pack again. Then the battle you see above in Junker’s pic happened. It was great. That beautiful Gulf Porsche. I got the gap down to 3 seconds but by then my tyres were shot. It was great trading times to the flag. Sorry if we made contact earlier. I've switched to bonnet cam so I don't have the rear mirror. Was it when we were behind Joe? I almost took out Joe a few times, which led to myself having a moment or three. I'm fully in the no TC game now (only took 2.8 years...) which I can handle usually but when it's a tight squabbling pack I still sometimes jab at the throttle and get in trouble. More learning needed.

Just throwing it out there, but... doing 1 extended race like this is great. If we did it once a month or so I'd love it. 

• Upvote 4

Cor, that's annoying. Try finding out what lobby B's lap count was after the event?

Up for hosting the second lobby next week if needed, I think Monza or the mighty Bathurst are being mentioned.....

I do look forward to the day, probably when GT7 lands that we can all pile into a lobby together! 22 cars?

1 minute ago, mexos said:

Then the battle you see above in Junker’s pic happened. It was great.

It's a great pic, especially after half an hour. Mind you, that timing chart from @fretnoise suggests it would have been a monumental finish if the whole thing was merged.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, marsh said:

Cor, that's annoying. Try finding out what lobby B's lap count was after the event?

I grabbed the replay, I can check later on.  Did anyone get the replay of Lobby A?

Up for hosting the second lobby next week if needed, I think Monza or the mighty Bathurst are being mentioned.....

Coolio.  I might finally understand the mountain section of Bathurst if we lap it for 90 minutes!

[...] it would have been a monumental finish if the whole thing was merged.

Absolutely.  Come on PD, where's that 32-car grid patch?!  :D

Once a month for 'feature' races like this sounds good to me too.  The balance of agreeing the track ahead of time but keeping the fuel & tyres under wraps till the day appears to let people learn the track without running full race sims, too.  8-)

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, marsh said:

That was great, I did also spot Batmobile with epic fastest lap trolling. It's almost like he was getting me back for that go kart lap at laguna seca last week ;)

Superb all round.

Race was a bit of a nightmare for me!  Started out OK, and I was managing to keep up with  3rd place, but after a few laps I began struggling  to control the car, and ended up spinning numerous times.  Thought it was the tyres going off, so I pitted but the problem continued?  I persevered for a few more laps,  and started to wonder if my wheel was working properly, as it didn't seem as responsive as usual. 

I have had a similar problem happen before, but I thought it had sorted itself out, obviously not.  I pitted again and reverted to using the Pad, and the car was controllable again. 

By then I was a lap down to the leaders, and I was tempted to quit, but I enjoy the track so much I decided to see the race out to the end.  Managed to slip in a last minute,  super soft tyre, fast lap as a bit of consolation to myself :)

Going to try attacking the G-29  with WD-40, as it does seem to have developed a weird noise and doesn't feel like as responsive as it used to, hope it's not about to die on me! 

• Upvote 5

Mr Harris recently made comments on e racing which were less than favorable in his monthly topgear column. Now I'm for all forms of motor sport, and there's nothing quite like being there, watching it on tv, or taking part. As mentioned a page or so back, there's not alot I've encountered that gives you that high that racing delivers. I also appreciate that there is a colossal mountain to entry for the vast majority of people who want to take part. I know full well that old new top gear went racing in rallycross for not alot of money, but very quickly that becomes a significant amount of money when you factor in tyres, a licence, maintenance, transportation etc etc etc.

To dismiss it almost out of hand? folly. I've got plenty of time for Mr Harris and all he has done and does for the pastime I enjoy. I still maintain he has a higher grade race licence than the stig, he's really that good. But he also drives for a team, where taking last night as an example, someone else would have told him what tyres to use, how much fuel was going into the car, and when he was going to have to pit. His arse is wiped for him, all he has to do is drive the car. I totally get why Kimi did the whole 'shut up shut up I know what I'm doing' I nearly did it last night when the chat started going mad and the other guys joined the lobby to watch the final laps (you were absolutely welcome BTW!!)

So yeah, as someone that has competed in a variety of disciplines and had the fortune to have taken some amazing machinery round a handful of circuits, there's a very fine line in how competitive it is, how is it not good for the sport in general? I'd love to see Monkey join us on a Monday night, he'd get his backside handed to him on a plate!

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, marsh said:

So yeah, as someone that has competed in a variety of disciplines and had the fortune to have taken some amazing machinery round a handful of circuits, there's a very fine line in how competitive it is, how is it not good for the sport in general? I'd love to see Monkey join us on a Monday night, he'd get his backside handed to him on a plate!

Amen. So very much!

I've also had the good fortune to participate in various forms of motorsport activities, including touring cars, rallycross, a lot of rally (co)driving and even a modern F1 car test. Each and every one were amazing, otherworldly experiences, but given the amounts of money, energy and/or luck involved to reach them, it just doesn't really add up. Especially when the virtual racing is this good and exciting.

Last night was a bummer for me - the Renault R.S. 01 just didn't work at all, ate through its tyres and suffered from massive snap oversteer on exits. But moving to a spectator spot I had an absolute blast watching over 60 minutes of quality endurance racing. It was absolutely on par with the stuff you can see in real life, maybe even a cut above at times.

Most importantly: this was racing performance by 'regular' people who are actually enjoying it, not because they are CEO's, managed to strike a major sponsorship deal or have been racing in karts before the age of 10. This was racing between enthusiasts at its purest.

One definite highlight being the last lap battle for 9th (second to last place!) between Dutchies Bart and Louis (Derk-Luiskoe):

• Upvote 6

That's what sim racing allows us to do. It allows us to strip back the commercial side of the sport. To jump the almost impossibly high boundaries to entry. It allows enthusiasts to sample (in digital form to varying degrees of accuracy or authenticity) what long ago became solely the realm of the professional.

Long may that continue.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, fretnoise said:

So...  I think the full results from last night are something like this:

(I'm assuming Pimp and Noble in Lobby A did 40 laps, whilst Badger, Marsh, Junker and Buffalos in Lobby B did 39.  If Pimp only did 39 then that changes things considerably! :))

Lobby	Name			Laps	Time
A	Pimpalicious_MZ		40	01:31:56.791
A	Nobloski		40	01:32:06.761
A	MikeSeymour91		39	01:30:43.387
A	scarliley		39	01:30:49.005
A	mexos3			39	01:30:52.081
A	mrmorcs			39	01:31:05.595
B	Badger_GT		39	01:31:06.000
A	lukesmithf1		39	01:31:08.785
B	JUNKERDENB		39	01:31:12.522
B	vladthegimp10		39	01:31:20.730
A	TheRallyBart		39	01:31:36.428
A	Dark-Luiskoe47		39	01:31:40.633
B	Count_Buffalos		39	01:32:04.323
B	Fretnoise		38	01:30:19.948
B	Scooby_S		38	01:30:26.634
B	GwiDan			38	01:30:51.599
B	Batmobile		38	01:30:53.999
B	Corranga		37	01:31:09.378
B	beenabadbunny		36	01:30:18.681

@McSpeed What happened to you and fighterdj?

I had an excellent time.  I misjudged (couldn't find!) the pit entry for my second stop and parked it in the barrier which probably cost me the place on Lobby B's lead lap, and couldn't quite get the mental arithmetic right for my last fuel stop and had to fuel save, lift and coast, and tuck in behind @beenabadbunny as he unlapped himself... but you live and learn :D

Where next?

Looking at the times, GT obviously doesn't let everyone finish, but instead rewinds them to the last completed lap, how long is the "race completion" countdown (or whatever it is).

For example, I'm down in 2nd last (Corranga) with 37 laps.  My time of 1h31 09 is very close to Badger who won our race because I crossed the line right behind him as he lapped me for the 2nd time in the last 2 or 3 laps (and I kept up which I'm telling myself is because I was learning and improving, and not because he was fuel saving and on shot rubber...)

but beenabadbunny, fretnoise, GwiDan, Scooby all finished on shorter times.  Were they on the lead lap, but not able to complete the final lap in the allotted time?

4 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Once a month for 'feature' races like this sounds good to me too.  The balance of agreeing the track ahead of time but keeping the fuel & tyres under wraps till the day appears to let people learn the track without running full race sims, too.  8-)

I'm pretty sure that was the longest race I've ever done, and it was amazing.  Absolutely up for more endurance fun, especially if we know the track before hand for some practice.

The fuel and tyres thing was probably the best way to go about it, though perhaps as most of my practice was on time trials, I hadn't realised quite how dramatically the tyres could drop off, which I think cost me a good 40+ seconds in 2 laps of not pitting and spinning / tip toeing around.

I've owned my wheel for less than 2 weeks, and have a lot to learn, and hopefully didn't get too in the way as a back marker.

Apologies to either Scooby or Batmobile I think, who I bumped into La Source as you lapped me just as the "Controller disconnected" pop up appeared on my screen :D 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Freeman said:

Looking at the times, GT obviously doesn't let everyone finish, but instead rewinds them to the last completed lap, how long is the "race completion" countdown (or whatever it is).

I think you race for the allotted time, and then finish the lap you're on, and then the car that did the most laps in the quickest time wins.  Bunny and I finished pretty much line astern and were first to 'finish', but at that point Badger was still finishing his 39th lap. I got the 'finished' announcement and control taken away as I finished my 38th lap. If you're doing a set number of laps instead (like in the daily races) then you'll have the full race completion time to finish, and you just get a 'DNF' if you don't get round in time.

The tyres make a huge difference.  I'm on a pad and find it hard to be gentle on them, so after 8 laps on the mediums it felt like the car was just broken.  My second stop where I changed from really old, decrepit hards to new mediums made the car feel like a rocket ship!

• Upvote 1

Going from a full tank of fuel in the merc on hard tyres, to softs and five laps of juice, the car came alive. Such an enormous difference in speed, went from doing steady 2.23's to a blistering 2.19.

It's a superb game in great company.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

I think you race for the allotted time, and then finish the lap you're on, and then the car that did the most laps in the quickest time wins.  Bunny and I finished pretty much line astern and were first to 'finish', but at that point Badger was still finishing his 39th lap. I got the 'finished' announcement and control taken away as I finished my 38th lap. If you're doing a set number of laps instead (like in the daily races) then you'll have the full race completion time to finish, and you just get a 'DNF' if you don't get round in time.

The tyres make a huge difference.  I'm on a pad and find it hard to be gentle on them, so after 8 laps on the mediums it felt like the car was just broken.  My second stop where I changed from really old, decrepit hards to new mediums made the car feel like a rocket ship!

Ok that makes sense.  I'd assumed it would be based on the leaders position rather than strictly by the clock, so the winner would be first to take the chequered flag.

They’d still be the winner and then you work down (by time) the list of drivers on the lead lap, then (by time) the top drivers one lap down, then two laps down etc.