Jump to content
rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Junker said:

Anyone pondering buying a wheel, on hotukdeals there’s a link to a deal at Argos For the Logitech G29 where you buy the shifter with the wheel and it comes down to £199 all in. 
 “But Junker...” I hear you ask “ why would I want a Manual gear shifter?” 
 Well I’m pretty certain I’ve seen people on YouTube who have repurposed it and mapped it as a handbrake, so you can get all RallyBart style on a Monday night!

 Anyway, not the cheapest it’s ever been for the wheel but prices have gone up since lockdown so just a PSA really.

 

I would actually suggest not modding a manual gear shifter to a handbrake unless you plan on playing a lot of DiRT Rally 2.0. I rarely use my handbrake on GT, just in the back straight hairpin in that AE86 race last Monday and during the occasion loose surface race :)

 

Whereas shifting manual gears (providing you have three pedals, too) can be really good fun and satisfying in the more conventional or classic cars - such as the aforementioned AE86, as well as the F1500T and the Datsun 240Z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

I rarely use my handbrake on GT

 

giphy.gif

 

:lol:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Junker said:

“But Junker...” I hear you ask “ why would I want a Manual gear shifter?” 

Well also because buying it makes the whole thing £70 cheaper than just buying the wheel alone! :)

 

Ordered... so that's me seconds slower for weeks, right?

 

Thanks for the heads up @Junker ! :) 

 

(I've posted in the Bargains forum... now that I've secured mine ;)

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mexos said:

 

giphy.gif

 

:lol:

 

No really! The AE86 race was an exception, and even there I only used it for that one hairpin on a few laps.

 

I love using the handbrake on dirt tracks but we practically never go there on Monday nights. So yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might take a shot at the Autopolis time trial later.

 

(notice the top 3 friends times, are in the top 500 European leader board!)

 

 

grandpa.gif

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go fast enough somehow. Optimum is a 1.46 dead so that'd still be nigh on half a second off the pace....<_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, the beetle is horrible - it doesn’t turn predictably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just makes it even more annoying not being able to beat it.

 

Someone just got a 1:44 in one of the races I was in :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, morcs said:

Just makes it even more annoying not being able to beat it.

 

Someone just got a 1:44 in one of the races I was in :blink:


I can’t improve my time, my optimal is something like a 1:45.6 but I can’t improve on my actual time from yesterday. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Autopolis for about an hour tonight. Watched replays of the top few players, nothing too amazing, but I noticed lots of trail braking going on, and I’m just not that good.

So, I’ve switched to Monza now, the Red Bull is quite fun and it turns out it’s quite easy to trail brake in the car / at Monza.

 

Is it wrong that I have now spent a good few hours qualifying for races I haven’t yet taken part in :D

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I snuck a tenth off my best to dip to 1.46.7. Frustratingly my ideal lap is a 1.46.1 but I can’t quite string it together.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an optimal 1:45.7 in the Audi, I can’t let it lie :lol:

 

All this practice makes you much more consistent in the races though, and obviously you qualify higher too so miss more of the carnage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Well also because buying it makes the whole thing £70 cheaper than just buying the wheel alone! :)

 

Ordered... so that's me seconds slower for weeks, right?

 

Thanks for the heads up @Junker ! :) 

 

(I've posted in the Bargains forum... now that I've secured mine ;)

Nice one @fretnoiseGlad to be of service. Am tempted to buy one myself and try it instead of my t-150. 
 Have you been on pad all this time? 


 Autopolis time trial is on another level this week. I really want to try and get in that 1:45 xx club, but do not get on with that R8 or the Beetle normally. Tried 5 cars for a couple of laps each last night, think I’m going to try It the Subaru.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, marsh said:

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go fast enough somehow. Optimum is a 1.46 dead so that'd still be nigh on half a second off the pace....<_<

Yes you can!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Junker said:

Nice one @fretnoiseGlad to be of service. Am tempted to buy one myself and try it instead of my t-150. 
 Have you been on pad all this time? 

Yep - last wheel I had was the Microsoft PC one, but got rid during a house move about 15 years ago.

 

Picking the wheel up at lunchtime, and Playseat should be here tomorrow... excitement++ :) 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah that's awesome :) - you might take a little while to get back up to speed (then again, you might not!) but it's so, so much more immersive and fun with a wheel. Welcome to the club!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Freeman said:

Is it wrong that I have now spent a good few hours qualifying for races I haven’t yet taken part in :D

 

No not at all.  I frequently just do the TT as it helps with everything and I'll completely avoid the race. In the case of Autopolis, with no need to pit for that race it has far too many opportunities for some one to launch it up the inside, or just go and punt you down the road with little hope of getting places back.

 

1 hour ago, Junker said:

Yes you can!

 

The bar is stupidly high, and like a moth to a 1000 lumin watt bulb, I'll be back later....

 

It was interesting yesterday as I toiled a few laps away doing a 1.48 or 1.47 thinking I was getting nowhere, and then bosh, chiseled a smidgen of time off my best lap.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how you all do it. I had another few runs around Autopolis last night, in the Beetle this time, but I didn't manage to beat my 1:51 that I set in the RSR.

 

I'm still way ahead of my 1:54 target time from Kudosprime so you know. Small victories. :) 

 

I wish you could change car without having to exit the event completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to Pimp, he's pulled off the most epic of trolls. 0.07 sec.

 

And I just can't get it. I can pump in 46 flats again and again, but I just can't hook everything up on 1 lap. I know the speed is there to do it, but not by much. I think he might have this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I don't know how you all do it. I had another few runs around Autopolis last night, in the Beetle this time, but I didn't manage to beat my 1:51 that I set in the RSR.

 

I'm still way ahead of my 1:54 target time from Kudosprime so you know. Small victories. :) 

 

I wish you could change car without having to exit the event completely.

 

Three seconds under your Kudos Prime time is a great effort! That's a big, big chunk.

 

To put some of the performances and the quality bar of folks here into perspective, anyone in the top 1,000 as it stands (which I am guessing includes our top three, at least) are in the top 3% of players in Europe. There are currently 33,056 people on the leaderboard. My 1.46.790 currently has me in position 2629, which is in the top 8%.

 

Mexos is currently just outside the top 500 in 545th. That's in the top 1.65% of all players in Europe. Madness.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

 

Three seconds under your Kudos Prime time is a great effort! That's a big, big chunk.

 

 

Yeah I mean I'm definitely getting better with time and practice. Like anything really. I'm not disheartened even though I'm still a long way behind the faster guys in here.

 

I played an awful lot of Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec back in the day, then basically took fifteen years off. I owned 4 but never really got into it, and I skipped the PS3 entirely so I missed the 5s and 6. (I do now own a PS3 with 5 and 6, and I've dabbled with them a bit but clearly GT Sport is now where it's at).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

 

Yeah I mean I'm definitely getting better with time and practice. Like anything really. I'm not disheartened even though I'm still a long way behind the faster guys in here.

 

I played an awful lot of Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec back in the day, then basically took fifteen years off. I owned 4 but never really got into it, and I skipped the PS3 entirely so I missed the 5s and 6. (I do now own a PS3 with 5 and 6, and I've dabbled with them a bit but clearly GT Sport is now where it's at).

 

Kudos! I've certainly noticed you've been getting faster. Keep plugging away, the speed will keep coming. 8-) Driver 61 on YT could be worth a look. It's funny the amount of things I "know" and i think I do but don't do because of ingrained habits. I found his stuff a useful refresher and helped kick bad habits.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love him! Found him when I was getting ready for my track day at Brands Hatch last year. He's still the outright lap record holder at Brands (in a privateer amateur/gentleman's series called BOSS - he set the record in a Benetton F1 car from the 90s) and after initially studying his Brands Hatch video to learn the course, I've spent a lot of time with the rest of his videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried again. I'm getting slower again :hmm:

 

Managed a 1:46.1 amongst lots of 1:47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh - Scott Mansell! Yeah, he's ace. Obviously a very quick driver, and communicates his knowledge very well. Shame it never really quite worked out for him in terms of a top-line motorsport career because I always felt he had the talent for it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem is what I like isn't the same as what I'm good at. I'm still working on finding my balance.

 

Specifically, I don't intuitively like an understeery car. I prefer a really sharp, aggressive turn-in, but I'm not good enough on the pedals to hold the back end. So I either back off and lose speed by not being confident enough, or I push too hard and end up facing backwards.

 

@Varnsen told me to learn trail braking and even though I'm not yet brilliant at it, it's helped a lot. Scott Mansell's videos about it really helped to understand why it works as well (he goes into a lot of detail about weight transfer - essentially if you don't lift off the brake completely, you're maintaining an additional portion of the car's weight over the front tyres, which helps them to grip better in the turn, if I've understood it properly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Oh - Scott Mansell! Yeah, he's ace. Obviously a very quick driver, and communicates his knowledge very well. Shame it never really quite worked out for him in terms of a top-line motorsport career because I always felt he had the talent for it.

 

Scott's a legend. Love what he's doing with Driver61 and a great guy overall. I had the please of riding with him in a double seater open wheel race car once, which was very cool. (Even though I didn't even realise at time he isn't related to Nigel, lol.)

 

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

My problem is what I like isn't the same as what I'm good at. I'm still working on finding my balance.

 

Specifically, I don't intuitively like an understeery car. I prefer a really sharp, aggressive turn-in, but I'm not good enough on the pedals to hold the back end. So I either back off and lose speed by not being confident enough, or I push too hard and end up facing backwards.

 

@Varnsen told me to learn trail braking and even though I'm not yet brilliant at it, it's helped a lot. Scott Mansell's videos about it really helped to understand why it works as well (he goes into a lot of detail about weight transfer - essentially if you don't lift off the brake completely, you're maintaining an additional portion of the car's weight over the front tyres, which helps them to grip better in the turn, if I've understood it properly).

 

You're on the right track alright, so definitely keep on going :) Learning how to be properly fast takes lots and lots of practice for 98 percent of the people. (The other 2 percent are aliens and maybe end up having a shot at being a real racing driver.)

Plus the best way to learn the limits is by crossing them a few times, for which racing games are perfect.

 

If you'd like, I could do some 1 on 1 coaching in GT with you. I'm usually not up there with Pimp and Noble in terms of raw speed, but have picked up some pointers in both sim racing and real racing over the years which I'm happy to pass on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.