Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

10 hours ago, mexos said:

My previous wheel position had my arms so constrained I struggled to get full lock or catch a slide. I can’t describe it but I can actually feel far more of the ffb now. The cars feel so much more alive. No I haven’t dropped some acid. I just popped in a 22.7. A good three seconds faster than what I’d been hitting beforehand. Nice! Also got some golds on the Lewis Hamilton DLC I’d been miles off. 

TLDR. I fixed my driving positions and got a load faster. Roll on Monday! 

That is interesting, I also have trouble catching slides whilst using the wheel and had put it down to the G29 not giving enough feedback/lack of talent.   I never really messed with the setup of my playseat, apart from the positioning of the pedals, so tonight I will have a play about and see if I can get a more comfortable seating position,  see if it helps shave a few seconds of my lap times!

As a general rule of thumb (or, well, hands) make sure you can put both wrists on the 45 angle parts 'on top' of the wheel, while having your arms fully extended (yet not overstretched).

A professional racing driver once taught me this as the best position, both for road cars and tracks driving. A life hack that has served me well in any driving seat :)

Also, hold the wheel on the side parts with a very relaxed grip - and don't fold your thumbs around the grip, but have them resting on the wheel.

What’s your guys main hopes for Gt 7? I would quite fancy some dynamic weather during races, bigger race pools ( however this might just be because I came very late the party).

I quite like the penalty system but it does have issues, especially if someone loses control and hits you as one example. 

18 minutes ago, MrEPotato said:

What’s your guys main hopes for Gt 7? I would quite fancy some dynamic weather during races, bigger race pools ( however this might just be because I came very late the party).

I quite like the penalty system but it does have issues, especially if someone loses control and hits you as one example. 

Customisable HUD, or at least the ability to turn bits of it off / not pure white.

POV adjustment.

USB keyboard support.

Data via UDP so you can use a remote dash of some form (and theoretically a motion rig, but... we'll that's quite unlikely!)

VR.

Much bigger lobbies!

Some bug fixes on the net code, pit lane bug, black screen bug, lobby not appearing etc...

A much, much less janky penalty system would be amazing, but seems unlikely, probably like most of the above, perhaps with the exception of VR...!

20 minutes ago, MrEPotato said:

Bigger private lobbies, and proper VR support.

I think I'm about as happy as I'm going to get with the penalty system, but the SR pinging could do with a fix or 2.  Some of the stuff going on in Race A this week is just daft.  At least the penalties just affect one race - getting seriously downgraded in SR can take a few evenings to sort out, all the time struggling through against people who thought they were playing Wreckfest.

11 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Bigger private lobbies, and proper VR support.

This essentially.

+ more proper circuits, real or otherwise. Less or no rally, special stage X, ovals.

View customisation - raise, lower the camera.

Widescreen monitor support.

Proper HUD customisation + mirror options.

A better way of letting you know when a car is alongside you.

11 hours ago, fretnoise said:

ACC’s virtual race engineer constantly jabbering away in your earhole is pretty good.  But to be honest the GT Sport radar is fine for me.

The radar, but above would be better imo, or perhaps drawn as an overlay on the mirror (I play in bumper cam) as my eyes naturally look up to the mirror rather than down to the radar, mainly as I've usually got an idea of where the car behind is, and the radar doesn't have the draw distance of the mirror.  Of course sometimes someone comes up really quick and my brain thinks they've completely disappeared, and it takes me, well too long to check the radar, by which time I'm driving into an accident.  I think I just don't yet find it natural.

I guess, that being said, in the 2 races I did online last night at Brands, the only 2 collisions I caused were both light taps to the back of the car in front after I spun and was at the back as they were braking about 150 yards before the cone markers (as a rough guide for normal braking, rather than me expecting everyone to brake there) but I quickly dispatched them around the outside of Druids.  I'm always thinking about that video from a few pages back, about braking early for a better exit, but when you just arrive behind someone post spin, or fresh out of the pits, and they brake super, super early (I'm talking 1st gear through Westfield early, not skim the speed off and accelerate through early) well I guess that scenario isn't so well covered, especially on a track like Brands where 99% of the time you just want to just sit behind the car in front through Hawthorn, Westfield, Dingle Dell hoping for a nice exit out of Stirlings.  Oddly enough, I still got SR+ for both sectors, perhaps as it was a light touch, the other car stayed in control, and I remained behind, not sure if it works that way though.

There’s some little indicators which flash red when people are beside you too - aren’t they by the mirror? I can’t remember, they could actually be by the dash.

I don’t think that the radar is very good either, it doesn’t show enough road and isn’t naturally situated. The equivalent in ACC is right in your eye line and only appears when someone is in proximity to you. Alongside the spotter, it’s a pretty effective combination. 

1 hour ago, Jashin said:

There’s some little indicators which flash red when people are beside you too - aren’t they by the mirror? I can’t remember, then could actually be by the dash.

Yep, down on the dash, either side of the virtual dash (digital speedo and gear indicator doofer) when you're in bumper cam.   I nearly always have the radar on save a few checks of the fuel view in endurance races, so largely ignore the blips - they only seem to activate when someone is really close alongside, by which time the radar has already done it's job, or it's too late to do anything anyway!

Ok, Race A can just do one this week. Full of people fully aware that bumping gives other people penalties (“Lol it’s faster bro”, as someone said in the lobby chat) and you can be taken out on the line whilst leading and given a 4s penalty for daring to be in the way of a Burnout-style takedown. Screw that. 

Brands Hatch, on the other hand, is amazing. Succession of races last night where I was simply aiming to rebuild SR after Race A fuckery, but which ended up being some of the best, closest races I’ve had outside of MNRC.  Oh and there was one that wasn’t so close, where I started on pole, posted the fastest lap on lap 2, and had a 12 second lead by lap 11 after my pit stop. I noticed someone had dared set a faster lap, but I had enough time in the bag to pit again for fresh mediums and steal the fastest lap back on the last lap. That felt pretty good :D 

Not being a fan of the 'ring, but knowing it's complexities, I though I should do some practice yesterday.  I remembered there is a 4 lap Gr.3 race in one of the campaign modes, the challenges type mode, and I only have silver on it (I think that and one of the awful rally events is all I need for all gold), so gave it a go.

2 laps in, fuel warning flashing away, I come over the transition onto the F1 track, 10 seconds in the lead, knowing the pit entrance is close so moving to the right - somehow I missed the entrance.  The thought of a no-fuel lap of the ring was a no go for me, so that was followed by a rage quit and me watching BTCC Race 3 and the 2nd Mid Ohio Indy Car race from a couple of weeks back instead :D

30 minutes ago, Freeman said:

2 laps in, fuel warning flashing away, I come over the transition onto the F1 track, 10 seconds in the lead, knowing the pit entrance is close so moving to the right - somehow I missed the entrance. 

Total n00b move. Who would do such a thing...

:hmm:

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

So, Gr. 3 endurance race around the Nurburgring 24h circuit tonight, lobby open at 8PM UK time :) Be there!

For that accurate N24 experience, everyone will be asked to set up a sprinkler system next to their seat, race for 20 minutes whilst blindfolded, and then wait for 20 minutes before the race is reset for the final 20 minutes.

2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

So, Gr. 3 endurance race around the Nurburgring 24h circuit tonight, lobby open at 8PM UK time :) Be there!

I can't make it tonight, chaps.  Enjoy the racing :) I'll just have to trust that the sprinklers were appropriately deployed :) 

Bought a T300 GT ( so it’s got the T3pa pedals) edition last night. Back in stock at Amazon and I had a bunch of vouchers from work so worked out great. 
 Currently got the T-150 pro ( also T3pA pedals) so will be interesting to see the difference. 

Agreed, from what amounts to about an hour with the t3pa pedals and a brake mod, they knock the stock t150 pedals into a cocked hat. Feel and build quality are way in excess of the basic offering. Be interested in that wheel review too....

Nice. I've been on a T300 RS for some years now, it's a really solid wheel with lovely (belt-driven) force feedback, which conveys a surprising amount of nuance.

As for the pedals, I've only used the T3PA, which is decent. The braking pedal became a lot better when I installed the conical braking mod last April as it noticeably increased stiffness, especially when you're really pushing the pedal.

So I finally managed to sort of properly bolt the new T-LCM pedals to my Playseat frame last night. Love the proper metal pedals which are making me consider to start wearing racing boots (again) in the sim :D

The pedals also come with a variety of springs to adjust stiffness - and a software tool to adjust the braking pedal sensitivity and deadzones. Think I'll get it to be as stiff as possible to try and emulate a proper race car.

1 hour ago, Varnsen said:

You can already do this in the cockpit view in GT Sport at least. Do you mean for all views?

Yeah. I used to use the traditional GT camera but moved to the bonnet because it's just a little bit higher. You do lose the rear view mirror though which is a major pain. Some cars the camera is waaay too low. 

Bonnet is on the other hand way to high in some cars though - like the Atenza.

got it. FOV controls etc would be good in GT7.

Number 1 though has to be enormous lobbies. I also want dynamic time of day and more extensive race setup options. Gimme all the ACC customisation. 

I'm actually concerned they'll sort of not have all the Sport mode stuff in GT7. I like the 'Daily' races etc. 

46 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

got it. FOV controls etc would be good in GT7.

Number 1 though has to be enormous lobbies. I also want dynamic time of day and more extensive race setup options. Gimme all the ACC customisation. 

I'm actually concerned they'll sort of not have all the Sport mode stuff in GT7. I like the 'Daily' races etc. 

I can't see them removing it if I am honest. It's given the game great longevity it wouldn't have had otherwise.