Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Great races last night.  I didn't really settle with either the Mini, nor Goodwood, but had some great laps racing with mexos  leading mexos of the track.

Brands was a bit of a disaster with an early spin and being alone most of the race, but fun none the less.

Dragon Trail, having done a lot of laps on, I'm fairly good at and for me anyway has some nice corners that allow different racing lines to come out almost equal.  I was able to stick around the top half of the field and had some amazing moments / up and under defence / overtaking etc. plus the chicane of death delivers those who are closer to the limits than I am, but the race was 1 lap too long for my tyres :lol:  I should have followed Joe in when I watched him peel off into the pits!

Gr.2 at RBR...  The start was interesting, turn 1 was a bit of a disaster, and only served to bunch everyone for turn.. 3? at the top of the hill.  I was stuck in a stupid place but with everyone so close, you can't lift out or brake early, so I think 3 or 4 of us were all trying to take the corner at the same time, with me right on the inside.  After that I spun on lap 2, then spun recovering, putting me 16 seconds behind everyone.  Fortunately for me, others were also unlucky through the race and I was lapping quicker on my own than the battling midfield, so I recovering to 8th or 9th.

It's hard to believe I've only been racing on a wheel, and realistically, racing real people as I never play online, for only 4 months, I really wish I'd done this years ago.  It's really nice to be competitive in some races too (basically when the track and car combo suits my experience), as well as being able to place really close in the time trials...

Did I say really close... :D

image.png.0ba2d6225857fc50b6fcb0645b070a16.png

18 hours ago, Junker said:

Last week’s Daily race Leaderboards.

Race A drifting the 240z round Tsukuba. Noted F1 journalist Jon Noble with a very quick time at the top of the leaderboard 476A751D-BE98-4596-9A49-A679F303959F.thumb.jpeg.c0f0d590fc6143ef53428682540a7f58.jpeg

And that was a particular highlight for me. A car quick enouigh to break traction if you push too hard, but on a circuit I'm more than comfortable on.

Much like the daily race A in the GT86 this week, go fast in the slow stuff and the quick stuff will be easy....?

@mexos in the GR2 at Spa is going to take a significant effort to beat, but sending that car through eau rouge with a wheel is all sorts of amazing.

19 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

How much of a difference is there between Default and Weak? I'd like to think Weak replicates the idea of race ABS, which is more lenient than road car ABS.

This might be complete BS... My experience of tying both back to back, which I did about a week after shifting to a load cell brake, so maybe not ideal timing as I was still getting to grips with it, was both have benefits and disadvantages.

I was using the 911 RSR at the 'ring F1.

I can't remember which way around it was, but I found the long stopping zones (turn 1, the hairpin and the chicane for example) were better with 1, and trail braking was better with the other, much like with brake bias.  Actually, thinking about it, I wonder if it affects the brake bias settings.

I think we run almost opposite brake bias settings, I tend to favour pushing it forward, in say, that same mid engined Porsche, while I think you go rear? 

In the end I preferred running normal ABS not weak, though that might have been a familiarity thing...

As has been said before, and to address @MrEPotato's question on ABS...

If we were in real cars, then threshold braking is what you'd really want to be doing, which is basically braking as hard as you can, then adjusting the required pressure on the pedal to prevent an under rotation.

In a real car with decent brake feel, it's a really rewarding experience, but then, even modern road cars have changed significantly, almost all having ABS and huge brake servos taking away a lot of that brake feel too.

Anyway, as you feel the wheels start to lock, you'd simply ease off the brakes a little.

The problem with ABS off in GT Sport is the only feedback you get is audio, vibration, and seeing what the car does, none of which you can react to quickly enough to subtly reduce the amount of distance you are holding the brake pedal down for a potentiometer based brake pedal, or release some braking pressure for as load cell.

I'm not even sure if cadence braking (which is basically when you hammer on and off the brakes hard in the hope that you don't lock them) would work in GT Sport with ABS off.

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Nice! I just sent you a friends request, by all means join our Monday night online racing if you'd like :)

I've had ABS on Weak for ages. Tried switching it off yesterday to see if I could manage that with the new pedals, but that went horribly wrong so went back to Weak.

How much of a difference is there between Default and Weak? I'd like to think Weak replicates the idea of race ABS, which is more lenient than road car ABS.

I use default; I think weak only works in a straight line and switches off when you start to turn the wheel, meaning you immediately lock up and spin off. 

Quick pic from last night, as there's loads of good shots to be found in last night's races, especially the one around Dragon Trail :)

PS_Messages_20201006_151123.thumb.jpg.b196e34ec4aa98c422501661211cb0d1.jpg

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Great races last night.  I didn't really settle with either the Mini, nor Goodwood, but had some great laps racing with mexos  leading mexos of the track.

Brands was a bit of a disaster with an early spin and being alone most of the race, but fun none the less.

Dragon Trail, having done a lot of laps on, I'm fairly good at and for me anyway has some nice corners that allow different racing lines to come out almost equal.  I was able to stick around the top half of the field and had some amazing moments / up and under defence / overtaking etc. plus the chicane of death delivers those who are closer to the limits than I am, but the race was 1 lap too long for my tyres :lol:  I should have followed Joe in when I watched him peel off into the pits!

Gr.2 at RBR...  The start was interesting, turn 1 was a bit of a disaster, and only served to bunch everyone for turn.. 3? at the top of the hill.  I was stuck in a stupid place but with everyone so close, you can't lift out or brake early, so I think 3 or 4 of us were all trying to take the corner at the same time, with me right on the inside.  After that I spun on lap 2, then spun recovering, putting me 16 seconds behind everyone.  Fortunately for me, others were also unlucky through the race and I was lapping quicker on my own than the battling midfield, so I recovering to 8th or 9th.

It's hard to believe I've only been racing on a wheel, and realistically, racing real people as I never play online, for only 4 months, I really wish I'd done this years ago.  It's really nice to be competitive in some races too (basically when the track and car combo suits my experience), as well as being able to place really close in the time trials...

I was going to say: it's great to see you up there ofte,n Corranga! Remembering you only joined us last Summer and with hardly any online experience, you're doing an excellent job at driving both competitively and safely :) That battle around Dragon Trail in the Porsche with you, Mexos and Louis was epic.

10 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I use default; I think weak only works in a straight line and switches off when you start to turn the wheel, meaning you immediately lock up and spin off. 

Cheers, think I'll experiment some more with Default to see if there's a noticeable difference.

T300 is a solid upgrade on the 150. Depends really on how deep your pockets go. My long serving (10 years!) fanatec pedals are still holding up and work well in my set up for now.

I want to see where Fanatec goes next with the next podium series direct drive update. No point in me upgrading unless it’s to direct drive. Ideally within the next year I’ll upgrade everything. Probably when GT7 drops tbh.

I've seen the T150 reduced recently, so the market is settling again.  When lock down hit, everything went crazy.  Last year, the G29 was £120 at Amazon on black Friday.  It was regularly £165 with the shifter during Jan / Feb, and barely less than £265 from end of March onwards!

Depending how patient you want to be, with new consoles and xmas coming, black Friday / November might see some reductions, but then this is all basically gambling on market / retailer I guess!

First race from Monday night in the Minis. Mostly a 2 way battle with Jon Noble.

I was watching Joe’s antics from Red Bull Ring last night and I’m going to edit something together. I was in tears laughing at it. We have a lot of fun at MNRC but this is probably one of the funniest things I’ve seen in GT Sport

1 hour ago, Junker said:

First race from Monday night in the Minis. Mostly a 2 way battle with Jon Noble.

I was watching Joe’s antics from Red Bull Ring last night and I’m going to edit something together. I was in tears laughing at it. We have a lot of fun at MNRC but this is probably one of the funniest things I’ve seen in GT Sport

I was kind of hoping that you would....I expect the correct sound effects to be utilised.

6 hours ago, marsh said:

I was kind of hoping that you would....I expect the correct sound effects to be utilised.

I wish I had the live recording of the audio of Simon giving the running commentary on it and all the laughter , would be amazing 

As regards t300, I got mine off Amazon, link below. I think it came from Slovakia or somewhere but for £339 it’s the cheapest I could find recently for the gt edition with the better pedals. I was worried it might be a bit dodgy but it came via parcelforce and is brand new, just has an eu style plug but came with the adapter so all good. I had a load of Amazon vouchers sat doing nothing so took the sting out of the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThrustMaster-Steering-3-pedals-Turismo-4160681/dp/B01HRYFODO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=t300&qid=1602076917&sr=8-2

7 hours ago, Junker said:

As regards t300, I got mine off Amazon, link below. I think it came from Slovakia or somewhere but for £339 it’s the cheapest I could find recently for the gt edition with the better pedals. I was worried it might be a bit dodgy but it came via parcelforce and is brand new, just has an eu style plug but came with the adapter so all good. I had a load of Amazon vouchers sat doing nothing so took the sting out of the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThrustMaster-Steering-3-pedals-Turismo-4160681/dp/B01HRYFODO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=t300&qid=1602076917&sr=8-2

Wtf? This has jumped up £20 since I posted this morning. 

3 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Is there a gamertag list somewhere? I don't often find time to race, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to join in (and have more recorded times to compete against!).

My PS4 tag is 'Spinke'. 

There’s a somewhat out of date Google doc in the first post, or alternatively check @Junker’s posts of the Daily Race leaderboards, and send requests to those peeps - they’re nearly all forum folk. 

Edit: Welcome!

21 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Is there a gamertag list somewhere? I don't often find time to race, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to join in (and have more recorded times to compete against!).

My PS4 tag is 'Spinke'. 

@Junkeris your man here, the weekly tt's are a fantastic way to improve your overall racecraft. Just don't be put off by noble or mexos, their times of late have been exceptional. Pick one daily to start off with and focus on that.

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

My PS4 tag is 'Spinke'. 

Welcome indeed! Just sent you a PSN friends request :)

We race every Monday night at 8PM UK, I usually host one lobby and sometimes we expand to a second lobby. For chat on that and general banter we also use a PS Messages group.

On 07/10/2020 at 22:16, AlexM said:

My PS4 tag is 'Spinke'. 

I’ve pinged you a friend request. End of every week I screenshot the 3 Daily race qualifying leaderboards, so we can compare times. All of the names on there are either on this forum or race with us on MNRC ( Monday night race club), so if you send any of them a friend request and say you are off the RLLMUK GT Sport thread they’ll likely accept.

Spa in the Gr.2s was excellent to drive, but appalling to race on.  So many races ruined at La Source on lap one as even getting bumped from behind could get you a 3 second penalty.  And if I got through that unscathed I nearly always got tagged at (looks it up, wouldn't want to get a Spa corner name wrong...!) Les Combes.

So I switched to Race A and had some frankly amazing races.  The GT86s are so recoverable they lend themselves to some really close racing, like "0.2s behind the same guy for 5 laps" close.  For some reason getting an SR-down ping didn't have as bad an effect in this race as in Race C - a single ping but with an otherwise clean race could still see a net SR increase, which didn't seem to be the case in Race C.  Anyway, an evening of fun races and I'm back up to SR S/99, which is nice :)

So... Spa in the rain tonight, right?  Are you absolutely sure that's a good idea? :D

PS @Junker do you have a copy of the Race C times with the, erm, times on? :)