Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

15 minutes ago, mexos said:

@Ry 

Hopefully lobby A/B goes away in 7 because we can get everyone in one mega lobby. :omg:

:bye:

Not wanting to say, told you so, but....

I guess we might get a couple of updates this year maybe? Aside from whatever guff is being dumped upon us tomorrow.

1 hour ago, marsh said:

:bye:

Not wanting to say, told you so, but....

I guess we might get a couple of updates this year maybe? Aside from whatever guff is being dumped upon us tomorrow.

A new Yaris!

(probably)

Maybe I was a bit hasty with my golf membership. I went to move a few blocks on the extension just now from ground floor to first floor and my back was giving me the same lol that stopped me moving off the sofa to chase Junkers time at Collorado Springs on sunday night....

Knackered and racing best avoided going forward. Might be absent for a few weeks with the build lined up.

4 hours ago, Ry said:

I really hate the Monday night racing. 

It's no fun being in a lobby full of elite players. I think lobbies should be a bit fairer. 

I need to figure out where I'm going wrong. I jumped on late last night and played with a pad with auto gears and more assists and I was faster. 

It’s just practice, you’ll get there. We’ve all been through it and still do on occasion. I’ve won races but then like last week been so bad I didn’t even finish that Tokyo in the wet one as I kept crashing.

So interestingly, I joined Lobby B last night after being late due to work. Should have won the Mazda Roadster race were it not for a driver error, spun and couldn't catch up in the BMW's and just sucked in the Renaults. Still had great fun!

I thought about the whole two lobby situation often when we started to split the lobbies to accommodate everyone. There's no best solution but I think the current situation actually works quite well.

On one hand you'd like to get a diversely skilled field in both lobbies, but everyone is bound to enjoy more competition on their level when you DO sort a bit by overall speed on track. So it sort of grows into that when I ask people to veer off to the second lobby - although Lobby B may/will also hold people capable of winning races in Lobby A.

So yeah, despite being a regular in Lobby A (often finishing in the midfield there but sometimes capable of a top 3 finish) I reckon both lobbies are pretty much on par :)

5 hours ago, Ry said:

I really hate the Monday night racing. 

It's no fun being in a lobby full of elite players. I think lobbies should be a bit fairer. 

I need to figure out where I'm going wrong. I jumped on late last night and played with a pad with auto gears and more assists and I was faster.

Well that's not very nice to hear! That said, as suggested, lobby B can be a bit more varied in terms of overall player speed so make sure you're in that one next time around.

As for your last remark, that's really something that comes with experience. Some of us have been playing this game ever since launch and the current MNRC has been going strong for well over 2 years by now.

Just keep racing and it WILL come! People like Bauke (TheBaukster) and Louis (Astroll-Martin) hadn't even touched GT until last Summer, took it up and started to finish on the podium as this commenced :)

Will keep at it. Just need to find the time. I think my racing position is part of the problem. I never feel totally comfortable and I think I'm too big for the seat. The wheel is very close to my chest and I don't think I have a good arm length. And I can't do anything about it as the wheel is hard mounted in the only possible position. 

I really need my own room in the house. I hate having to dig the wheel and chair out the cupboard. Lol

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

So interestingly, I joined Lobby B last night after being late due to work. Should have won the Mazda Roadster race were it not for a driver error, spun and couldn't catch up in the BMW's and just sucked in the Renaults. Still had great fun!

I thought about the whole two lobby situation often when we started to split the lobbies to accommodate everyone. There's no best solution but I think the current situation actually works quite well.

On one hand you'd like to get a diversely skilled field in both lobbies, but everyone is bound to enjoy more competition on their level when you DO sort a bit by overall speed on track. So it sort of grows into that when I ask people to veer off to the second lobby - although Lobby B may/will also hold people capable of winning races in Lobby A.

So yeah, despite being a regular in Lobby A (often finishing in the midfield there but sometimes capable of a top 3 finish) I reckon both lobbies are pretty much on par :)

Well that's not very nice to hear! That said, as suggested, lobby B can be a bit more varied in terms of overall player speed so make sure you're in that one next time around.

As for your last remark, that's really something that comes with experience. Some of us have been playing this game ever since launch and the current MNRC has been going strong for well over 2 years by now.

Just keep racing and it WILL come! People like Bauke (TheBaukster) and Louis (Astroll-Martin) hadn't even touched GT until last Summer, took it up and started to finish on the podium as this commenced :)

I totally get the frustration. Lobby A last night is simple error away from complete disaster, the standard was very high and to someone relatively new to the game, cars and tracks, I can see how it would be a bit off putting. You know, I totally get following Noble or Pim for as long as possible to learn where you're going wrong, but when it's happening as you're lapped or a lap is over 2 minutes long, it's a bit ugh....

I'm old enough and sometimes wise enough to know when to bother and when to skip it. Last night was one of those I should have skipped, even though the TT at Tsukuba was encouraging, sometimes I'm only going to be a one lap wonder and doing a TT is the only sensible option. I'm only a liability to myself in that environment, and not about to smear 5 M3 touring cars into a wall at a hairpin. That was a huge slice of luck to find a gap big enough to send it through. I'm always saying 'pick your fights' seemingly I don't listen to my own advice enough.

I too hate the faff of getting the chair and wheel out, sadly, this is the way.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Will keep at it. Just need to find the time. I think my racing position is part of the problem. I never feel totally comfortable and I think I'm too big for the seat. The wheel is very close to my chest and I don't think I have a good arm length. And I can't do anything about it as the wheel is hard mounted in the only possible position. 

I really need my own room in the house. I hate having to dig the wheel and chair out the cupboard. Lol

Am I right in thinking you have a PlaySeat Challenge?  If so, me too.  I'm carrying a few "lockdown layers", so it's a bit snug around the thighs but not too bad.  If you've got the same one, have you moved the plate the wheel attached to to its furthest position?  It attaches to the frame with a few hex bolts I think, and it's got 3 possible positions, and ships in the middle one.  I also played with the velcro straps at the side to recline a bit more than how it came, but had to find a sweet stop between having enough space for my arms and feeling like I was lying on the floor.

Once I was halfway comfy I figured any more time messing about with it would be far better spent practicing, so I've left it alone ever since.

You can also flip the playseat challenge metal plate around (if your wheel base will still mount) that only mined it an inch or 2 away but for me it was from arm pain to just right.  I have quite long arms.

As others have said, it really is all about the practice. I’ve gone from never using a wheel at the start of last May to winning a race (and not for the first time) last night. I also had 2 other fairly poor races. 

I posted this image before in jest, but the reality is 336 hours between the end of May and December last year is a fair amount of time. I’m not saying it’s a requirement, I am saying that’s what got me to where I am. 

AB2C665A-B064-471D-A7C6-E440EB364E62.jpeg

Update has been published.  Reading GT Planet and summarising, nothing too exciting:

• Changes to penalty system, less penalties overall (e.g. not minor collisions) reduced impact for poor internet
  • Longer pit stop times - they were really short.  +10 seconds seems to be the approximation so far
  • Expected region changes for the upcoming manufacturers cup (from our percpective, it just means EMEA like the daily races)
  • Mazda RX-Vision Gr.3 has been bop'd - less weight, less power
  • Logitech G923 pedal set more brake pedal travel

<200mb so it's a small one too.

29 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Logitech G923 pedal set more brake pedal travel

Hmm - the game treats the G923 and G29 as the same thing (they're under one option in the control settings menu).  I wonder if this will 'fix' the way my brake pedal seems to go to full brakes at about 70% of the travel?  Not sure how I feel about that!  I'm very used to how it works now!

28 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Longer pit stop times - they were really short.  +10 seconds seems to be the approximation so far

Good, I think.  Though it does mean fuel & tyre-saving maestros like Mr Noble get more gains out of their driving style, doesn't it?  When I've tried that strategy in the past I've always been disappointed by how little time the "soft tyres and multiple stops" guys spent in the pits.

5 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Hmm - the game treats the G923 and G29 as the same thing (they're under one option in the control settings menu).  I wonder if this will 'fix' the way my brake pedal seems to go to full brakes at about 70% of the travel?  Not sure how I feel about that!  I'm very used to how it works now!

That's what I understand they've done.  Mistah MCA on the Gt Planet forums doesn't seem keen as it's basically changed the way he has to brake :(

3 minutes ago, Corranga said:

That's what I understand they've done.  Mistah MCA on the Gt Planet forums doesn't seem keen as it's basically changed the way he has to brake :(

Gah!  I'll give it a go later.  I hope it's a good thing in the long run as more travel should make trail braking a bit more precise as you mentioned in chat a couple of races ago, but change is always a bit jarring...

Maybe they're just trying to make my "should I get a new wheel/pedal set now that I don't need a PS5 till next year" decision a bit easier...

35 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Annoying. If he doesn't brake harder he'll end up braking for.. a while everywhere. 

I snuck in a few laps after lunch with my G29 wheel and pedals and..... no difference whatsoever.  The game shows I'm braking fully by the time the pedal touches the rubber stopper thingie at about 70% travel.

So no trail-braking improvements, but no sailing off into the scenery at every turn either... 

Hah - my son just chanced upon the YouTube video of Mr Noble beating Hamilton in that Pro/Am event from a while back.  "Ooh, I've beaten him", I say, "...and he beats Hamilton in this race... so that can only mean your old dad's faster than Lewis Hamilton, right?"

Dammit, even at 12 he sees the flaw in my logic.