Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

McSpeed

I had a fun time in Race C tonight.

Set a quali lap of 1:30.146, which is still a good few seconds off you lot, but put me slightly further up this particular split than I really deserved to be. Started 4th, briefly ran in 3rd, finished 6th after a clean race (if you don't count a couple of, um, 'kisses' of the wall that didn't incur penalties).

Stuck to my run plan, which I always intended to be two-thirds on the Mediums, then the last third on the Softs. If I get any time later in the week to run the race again I might do it the other way around and see how long I can eke out the Softs for. 

Video here: 

I'm still far from super quick but I'm trying to remember and incorporate all the tips you guys have been giving me. 

I do love the GT500 cars, particularly the newer GT-R. So much grip once you learn to trust it. (I'm not there yet.)

Sigh.

I despair of the daily races sometimes.  I've been concentrating on DR C this week, since it's the Gr2s at Dragon Trail which is an excellent combo.  On Tuesday night, I had a couple of decent races starting towards the back - my qualy time at that point was slower than my actual pace so lots of overtaking.  Excellent, clean, tough races, and a couple of top 5 finishes.  I then saw what you guys had done in qualy and thought I'd have a go at that, and got down to a 1:27.1.  I started getting top 3 grid positions, and had a couple of fantastic back and forth races, with back-to-back wins at one point (2nd one was due to a rage-quitting chicane of death casualty, but they all count :)).

Fast forward to last night, improved my qualy time by a couple of thousandths, and had some of the worst, dirtiest races for ages.  Punted at the hairpin, punted at the esses, rammed at the chicane.  After one race I did my usual "Well done, thanks for the clean race" comment to one of the worst offenders, which was obviously a mistake as he then sought me out to ruin my subsequent races.  Ffs - just go and play Wreckfest.  The really annoying thing is that the worst offenders obviously treat it as a metagame, and seem to be able to ruin your race without affecting their own SR - it's quite impressive in a weird way.

@mexos - If you'd got a 1:27.4 the leaderboard would have had a 1:27.1, .2, .3, .4, .5 and .6.  But oh no... you have to go and get another 1:27.1 :facepalm: :) 

14 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Stuck to my run plan, which I always intended to be two-thirds on the Mediums, then the last third on the Softs. If I get any time later in the week to run the race again I might do it the other way around and see how long I can eke out the Softs for. 

The quick guys in my races have been starting on mediums and stopping at the end of lap 6.  Very few doing Soft -> Medium, and it doesn't seem to work for those that do it - I don't think you can make enough of a break to make it work.  I've been pushing M -> S a lap further, stopping at the end of lap 7, as I find the softs start to fall off on the last lap and I think my slower lap 7 is less slow than my really slow lap 13 would be, if that makes sense.

Edit - sorry, what I mean is, I think if you've got time to have one more go at the race, stick with the strategy you started with (or maybe a lap either side), as I think it's the 'right' one. :)

Thanks chaps. 

If you make it far enough into the video you'll see that I come in at the end of lap 8 of the 13. I think the Medium tyres were really a bit too worn out by then - you'll see at about 13:07 I don't make the hairpin and clatter the left wall! Fortunately damage was off, and it didn't slow me down too much.

So I might try coming in for the Soft at the end of lap 7 next time, and do the last six laps on those. Fuel depletion is negligible so there's really no difference in weight to consider. 

Something else I notice on the video - the driver called Wally ghosts right through me twice. Once at about 5:40 and again at about 6:19. The first time he doesn't make it, the second he does (although I get the place back a few corners later when he spins without help).

Can a better racer than me have a look at those and let me know if I got it right or wrong? I don't play enough online races to have a good sense of what makes the game decide to ghost a car. 

33 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Can a better nother racer than me have a look at those and let me know if I got it right or wrong? I don't play enough online races to have a good sense of what makes the game decide to ghost a car. 

ftfy :)

That was weird - I didn't realise the game did that.  Turns out it depends on your DR: https://guides.gamepressure.com/gran-turismo-sport/guide.asp?ID=45585

So in DR C lobbies and above he wouldn't have ghosted, and would have taken you out.  As per my experiences last night, sometimes the game will penalise the other driver for that kind of thing, but sometimes not.  Anecdotally, it seems that if you take evasive action and manage to remain on track and pointing the right way, the other guy will get away with it.

Getting back to your examples.  At 5:40, you make what I'd consider a decent move on Wally.  You brake later, and go around the outside.  It's risky, as if ghosting was off you'd probably have been eased onto the grass on the left.  As it is, I think you probably avoided contact anyway.  If it were me I'd probably have been on the gas a little earlier out of the turn and been side by side by the rumble strip (and so would have been eased off... your line was probably better :))

At 6:19 you just get divebombed.  If I'd have seen him coming, I'd have stayed left to give him room and (hopefully) get the place back when he runs wide.  As it was, he ghosts through you and goes wide anyway.  If ghosting had been off, he'd have pushed you wide and maybe picked up a penalty (as above, depends on how hard you try to keep it on the road), but probably not enough of one to swap the places back next lap.

If you carry on doing dailies, you won't be in DR D for long, so drive like ghosting won't happen and you won't get surprised when you turn up in a C lobby.

How do you record full races on Playstation? Do you just press record in settings then stop?

I wouldnt mind uploading some vids and getting some tips. 

57 minutes ago, Ry said:

How do you record full races on Playstation? Do you just press record in settings then stop?

I wouldnt mind uploading some vids and getting some tips. 

PS5, right?

Press the share button (little one next to the d-pad) and then choose the “Start new recording”.  Then press the same button again when you want to stop recording. 

You can then open the video in the Media Gallery app and upload straight to YouTube. 

You can also double tap the share button to save a clip of recent gameplay. Configure how much is saved (15 seconds fo an hour) in Settings -> Captures and Broadcasts. 

@Ry when you start recording there is an icon to let you know it’s happening and it blocks the rear view mirror in bumper cam, so I’ve found it’s better to save gameplay after you’ve done it. 
 Even better option is to save the replay in game, and share it to your feed in game.

Reason is it then saves all angles, telemetry etc if it’s advice and analysis you’re after.

1 hour ago, Junker said:

@Ry when you start recording there is an icon to let you know it’s happening and it blocks the rear view mirror in bumper cam, so I’ve found it’s better to save gameplay after you’ve done it. 
 Even better option is to save the replay in game, and share it to your feed in game.

Reason is it then saves all angles, telemetry etc if it’s advice and analysis you’re after.

How do I share to my feed? 

Just finish my laps and then I'm guessing I just save replay or something? 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

How do I share to my feed? 

Just finish my laps and then I'm guessing I just save replay or something? 

Yes, at the end of the race in the top left I think there's an option to save replay. From where all the liveries and stuff are you can then share a replay from there and make it public. It's been a while so I suspect a more accurate route will be given shortly...

35 minutes ago, marsh said:

Yes, at the end of the race in the top left I think there's an option to save replay. From where all the liveries and stuff are you can then share a replay from there and make it public. It's been a while so I suspect a more accurate route will be given shortly...

Does it only save races? Not time trials? 

I would like to save a few laps in a row rather than one offs. 

Then you want the share replay button that's more from the ps5 than gt sport itself. You can set the length of replay that console will record for and then upload it to youtube.

Things are probably a bit different on the new console, I've only really started using it for about a week so still struggle to find out how to turn the bloody thing off.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Does it only save races? Not time trials? 

I would like to save a few laps in a row rather than one offs. 

You can save nearly everything. Look top left and the save replay options are there. If you’ve been time trialling daily races the you can save the last session  as a whole or just your fastest lap. 

On PS4, if you've connected your YouTube or Twitch accounts you can just press 'Broadcast Gameplay' in the Share menu and it will stream your entire session. I expect PS5 can do similar. You can then post it in here with time stamps for specific bits you'd like help/advice/feedback on. 

Booted this up for the first time in years - was quite shocked by how good it still looks. I'm pleased to confirm the T500 racing wheel still works. My 15yo son is now car mad (real cars) so GT is a logical step for him. He even likes the car history stuff in Brand Central. 

Tonight’s MNRC running order

Race 1 - Red Bull jnr 6 laps Autopolis. This race will have 10 mins practice then 5 mins qualifying

Race 2 -  a 5 lap race at Kyoto Miyabi in max power/min weight Honda s800 ( because they look like MG Midgets). No qualifying, grid is reverse of first race. This will require a “Junker  lap” - you don’t have to change tyres but you must pit at least once in the race on lap 1,2,3 or 4.

Race 3 - Finally 36 lap race at Interlagos Gr3. Tyre x7, fuel x4.