IGNORED

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

McSpeed

5 hours ago, Varnsen said:

God knows how long it take to actually get my hands on Fanatec clobber atm. 

3 hours ago, mexos said:

I don't expect to have one till at least May if I am honest. 🤢

This any use to you guys?

C5C53CB5-270A-46CF-984B-E7D763E48052.thumb.png.49459aa5bb9c78d95c66761ef070dfc1.png

Seller is in Bexleyheath which is next to where I work. So if you did want to buy them I could collect and then send it all on to you.

thanks Jonathan, Mexos is right. For some reason, Fanatec have to sell an entirely different version of their wheel bases to have PS compatibility. The DD PS version doesn't have a release date yet. 

2 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

thanks Jonathan, Mexos is right. For some reason, Fanatec have to sell an entirely different version of their wheel bases to have PS compatibility. The DD PS version doesn't have a release date yet. 

You probably know this already but…

It’s all about licensing. The licensing costs them money (to Sony and MS).

I’m guessing they separate the different console licensing chips into rim for Xbox and wheel base for PlayStation so they don’t have issues with either platform vendor in terms of selling 1 official piece of kit that works with both consoles.

On a slightly related note, Interestingly, their Black Friday specials don’t include any Xbox specific rims..

On 23/11/2021 at 18:09, mexos said:

Ah thanks, but without PS compatibility that means no GT so... I can wait.

As for the dailies. 

image.png.a23c3716441f725a3294d321c5ae4d72.png

Sigh. Come on, I was going to have a rest... ok. ok.

Nothing beats a good share of wasted hours around the green hell 

13 hours ago, Pimpalicious MZ said:

Nothing beats a good share of wasted hours around the green hell 

Ha, yeah I've been doing that trying to beat your time! 😂

My optimal is under 8.10 but damn can I get a lap together. I think you've got this one. I blame the pedals lol.

Here’s me getting killed at the Nürburgring:

No penalty given. I finished the race in 10th (which is OK because it’s still a net improvement to my DR).

Rllmuk Stewards’ decision please!

My take on it is as follows (spoilered for prejudice) :

Spoiler

I’d been following Ivor for a couple of minutes by this point, at a range of about 1-2 seconds for the most part.

He gets in a bit of trouble with the car ahead of him, goes wide in a shower of sparks and loses time.

This allows me to close on him. He sees me coming up, chops across me to try and cut me off, but in doing so he compromises his own line. I’ve got enough overspeed and enough grip to hang it round the outside. It’s arguably a bit of a robust overtake - I’m half on the grass and we trade some paint but I make it stick. Now I’m in P6.

A few corners later he sends a big lunge from miles back, completely overshoots his braking point, hits me from behind and punts me into the wall. He carries on, I lose four places and end up in P10 where I remain to the end.

To me it’s a blatant pen but maybe the software thinks I brake-tested him or something? I assume it’s very hard to code this stuff.

I don't think it was malicious, but it's a penalty (or, should have been). I always screw up my braking point for that corner so can definitely see how it happened, but the fact is he made a mistake that cost you a lot of time and cost him pretty much nothing. It's up to the car behind to get past someone safely; you managed it a few corners before, he didn't. I don't think your move was particularly robust either - was nicely judged and you made it work cleanly.

So yeah, you were hard done by there by my reckoning.

Agreed.  There were (at least) 2 mistakes by the Merc in that sequence; one cost him the place to you (but you still had to make it stick - nicely done), and the other cost you but not him.  If I'm being hyper critical, then you were a touch early on the brakes just as he hit you.  It certainly wasn't a brake-check, and the guy behind needs to drive with you in mind, but I possibly would have clipped you as well - in the heat of the moment, trying hard to make up for my earlier mistake, etc etc.

I think it's almost impossible to get a penalty for hitting another car in GTS at the moment, but it'll quite happily bung another 1.5 seconds on as you cartwheel down the track having clipped a barrier...  it's a bit odd, but I think any system that penalises one player or another for contact is going to be exploited.

I play the dailies with Hanlon's Razor lodged firmly in my head nowadays - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" (though I usually replace "stupidity" with "incompetence").  I find it helps calm the nerves as you're picking gravel out of your radiator, again...

3 hours ago, Junker said:

Last week’s daily race leaderboards

3442B184-F544-4B66-B107-5A5D00A37746.jpeg

@marsh I did my time here on controller FYI. Couldn't hook it up to beat your time! Didn't feel too bad on the shorter tracks/slower cars but no idea how I used to play this game on controller in Gr4/GR3! 

10 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

@marsh I did my time here on controller FYI. Couldn't hook it up to beat your time! Didn't feel too bad on the shorter tracks/slower cars but no idea how I used to play this game on controller in Gr4/GR3! 

:hat:

With a pad I had an optimum of about 59.4, hadn't watched a replay of the top times so I might have been missing something, but I was firmly in the 'only going to go quicker with a wheel' territory, and I'm just too lazy.

35 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

If I'm being hyper critical, then you were a touch early on the brakes just as he hit you.  It certainly wasn't a brake-check, and the guy behind needs to drive with you in mind, but I possibly would have clipped you as well - in the heat of the moment, trying hard to make up for my earlier mistake, etc etc.

Yeah that’s fair. I really like the Nürburgring but as it’s such an unforgiving course, I guess I tend to drive quite conservatively - when you get it wrong and have a big excursion it feels like it costs you more time than what you lose by just taking it a little more cautiously. So I probably drive a lot of it at eight or nine tenths, not ten tenths.

So there’s a bit of “the hare and the tortoise” going on in the longer races as I often gain places from unforced errors, when people overcommit and just throw it off by themselves in front of me. 

But you’re right, I guess it’s double-edged and probably contributes to things like this. If I were really confident on the brakes into that corner, maybe we’d both have made it through.