rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8:00 PM UK forum races!

It's bullshit, the only thing it seems will get you a penalty now is abusing track limits. In some of the Daily Races at Dragon Trail it was like playing Forza there was so much ramming going on. Hopefully they fix it in the next patch because the old system made racing against randoms online fun.

I had my first online races last night, Gr 3 around Brands Hatch. I was actually fairly amazed about how clean it was compared to the nonsense that is Forza. I even won a race, which was cool. I’m sure it’s a bit of a generalization, but it was always a German player who tried to run me off the road tap me off! Another common theme was other players misreading wide entry corners such as Surtees and braking far too late on an inside line, with predictable results.

• Upvote 3

I'm not able to race tonight sadly. But I heard a fair number of online friends (Dutchies too) are up for it, so by all means try to have a go together!

10 hours ago, marsh said:

@Varnsen that time at autopolis in the top 500?

It was when I did it on Saturday but not sure about now. 

Any news on when the penalty system comes back online ? 

My 15th to 8th in race B was kinda fun. My 1st to 14th, then 6th to 12th ultimately resulting in 4th was a bit less fun (the revenge punt on the Italian that send me to the gravel on the first corner was pretty sweet though). Wish i had more skill as racing in DR A and DR B seems relatively clean compared to the C/D lobbies. 

Looks like there's a patch coming tomorrow but no details on what's in it but it must be the penalty system.

C and D lobbies are full of wreckfest wannabies, not a nice place to be at all. Better off staying right at the back and completely avoiding trouble to get your DR up to at least a B.

Yeah, the current S2000 races around Laguna Seca are fairly horrible in DR C.

I think I'll wait til the update drops before I dip my toe into online racing again, Nurburgring 1st turn must be like a bowling alley.

9 minutes ago, Jashin said:

Yeah, the current S2000 races around Laguna Seca are fairly horrible in DR C.

I think they're fairly good fun if you can survive the first few corners - elbows out! :)  (Edit: I'm at DR B and SR S though...)

Yeah, that was quite an ‘if’ in the races I started. A midfield starting slot didn’t help either.

@Varnsen dudes operating at anoyher level! Laptimes right up there at the moment!! Going to have to put some grind in I think....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, marsh said:

@Varnsen dudes operating at anoyher level! Laptimes right up there at the moment!! Going to have to put some grind in I think....

ha thanks! I've committed to always using the wheel instead of being lazy and using the controller.

Finally getting used to the wheel and it's so much more consistent. I think I'm like half a second quicker across the board now. My Nurburgring lap this week though was seven tenths better than my previous PB so I'm chuffed with that. Still nearly 1.7 seconds off the aliens in the top 10 though. wtf. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still struggling with the transition from Pad to wheel. I want the ability to turn the car with a wheel but accelerate and brake like I can with a pad. I've made a mental note to spend more time with the wheel, though I really need to bin those t150 pedals off for something with more feel.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I felt exactly the same. You're right about the feel of the pedals especially for braking. In fact, I'd say the single biggest factor in improving lap times has been focusing on braking and using the brakes to turn.  

I'm tempted to upgrade from my G29 but won't look anything until PS5 compatibility is confirmed with any of the better wheels. 

• Upvote 2

I can't imagine they'd leave out G29 compatibility, there must be thousands of units out there?

I'm getting the vibe that the penalty system has been fixed, or at least restored to what it was....

I meant I'm not gonna get a Fanatec or whatever unless it's compatible with PS5 and PC. The G29 is okay but the pedals are a bit crap. 

• Upvote 1

Copying takes bloody AGES.

After that I managed to get within a second of that Nurburgring time, only another full second to find....:mellow:

• Upvote 1

It's only a 150mb update. GT Sport is over a 100GB at this point but I've no idea why it takes so long, no other games takes this long to update when the patch is so small.

7 minutes ago, ryodi said:

It's only a 150mb update. GT Sport is over a 100GB at this point but I've no idea why it takes so long, no other games takes this long to update when the patch is so small.

Destiny 2 does the same (and is also similar in size), it checks currently installed data during the copy process.

Think I'll tt the golf for the next ten days, would love to do Monza but it's a track I can't set a decent time round and sinking 1.2 million into the lambo for that reason alone is hard to justify!

I don’t think they’ll ever be able to get this penalty system right.

I’m now mere points off a B SR rating, the lowest it’s been since I first got the game. I got 4s of penalty for a guy spinning into me, and another second when recovering from serving that penalty (off the damn racing line, cos I try to drive nice!) as a guy gave me a nice tap on the way past. Penalty for me, nothing for him. 

Maybe every 12th race or so you should have to serve as a guest steward with the power to overrule the penalty system or something. 

Now bimbling around at the back of races trying to get back into the grown ups races...

11 hours ago, fretnoise said:

I don’t think they’ll ever be able to get this penalty system right.

It's an incredibly hard thing to automate I'd imagine. I'd guess until they can potentially start using machine learned neural network style systems to analyse the telemetry to determine intention/mistakes it's always going to be a system that has inherent blind spots. It's clearly very sensitive as the current swings from one extreme to the other testify. 

That said, they could improve the online infrastructure with a few things nicked from iRacing/ACC etc. i.e. track limits, you do it enough times, you get disqualified. There should be licenses potentially, so the lower your license, the lower the class of cars you're able to race. Maybe unless you have at least an A SR you can't race Gr3/Gr4 or something. Or would that decimate the online participants? I dunno. Maybe that wouldn't work. 

I'm starting to think/worry about Gran Turismo 7 (must be on PS5 right). Will it even have the same type of racing focus/features? Will we have to wait for a GT Sport 2? 

• Upvote 2

Absolutely - it’s a really hard problem. The FIA regularly get it ‘wrong’ and they have multiple experts looking at single incidents for hours after the event.

• Upvote 3

Maybe they should do some machine learning, but based on the outcomes. They could show anonymised (e.g. de-liveried) replays of race contact during loading screens and people could vote on Car A’s fault, Car B’s fault, both or neither.

They could even put some recreations of real incidents in the mix to gauge just how sociopathic the user base really is. “Now we know that this was Car A’s fault, yet the users say Car B... maybe we have a bigger problem!”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Varnsen said:

I'm starting to think/worry about Gran Turismo 7 (must be on PS5 right). Will it even have the same type of racing focus/features? Will we have to wait for a GT Sport 2? 

Personally hope they will keep GT Sport around and update it for the next generation. If other GT fans want to have another car collecting bonanza that's cool but if it's set up like previous instalments i would much rather stick with the Sport formula.  

The penalty system is/was fine for me for the most part. I don't realistically expect the game to do it perfectly. Those first turn send offs must be incredibly hard to qualify properly. The person punting you usually did so involuntarily, probably being slammed forward by someone else even further back the order. There's so many variables and most of it happens within a split second. Then there's the fast guys going up through the ranks that will brake later then most around them causing involuntary chaos. The one on one cases where car A pushes car B on the gravel have been done 'properly' before though so don't really get why Poly fiddled with that. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Absolutely - it’s a really hard problem. The FIA regularly get it ‘wrong’ and they have multiple experts looking at single incidents for hours after the event.

Bring back B-spec mode.  Except this time you are a member of the FIA watching the online races :P