rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8:00 PM UK forum races!

By practice I don't mean toiling round for hours and hours, I mean the kind of stuff I did over the weekend for Goodwood, which amounted to throwing each car round the track until I knew vaguely which way the next corner went, and I could do 3 or 4 laps without a massive off.  

That's different from the laps I do when I get sucked into a time trial, for example, where I'll spend hours trying to eke out a tenth here or there.

• Upvote 1

IIRC the gearbox in the Mini was worth several seconds a lap. I'm guessing the game does something weird when you top out the gearbox because it doesn't sound like you're hitting a hard limiter, but you're effectively bumbling around with a limited top speed.

I love sticking with one track because people learn it better and you get closer racing. Likewise I'm a fan of the no tuning thing, but we could always apply it to one or two out of the three events?

• Upvote 1

I’d add that finding a good tune is as simple doing a quick google search, although it was sort of embarrassing seeing my Mini rocket from last to 2nd from the start  last night!

Announcing tracks beforehand is something that I favour - there are some tracks  that I’ve literally never payed and that puts me at a fundamental disadvantage that a few laps before a race isn’t going to fix.

Having said all of that, I have a good time racing regardless, so I don’t know!

Edit: I only had a 4 speed gearbox Morcs, I didn’t feel that it held me back.

With regards tuning, I feel like at the lower end, the N100s, N300s, a quick tune up made the cars driveable and was well worth it. That sort of thing should be shared with everyone I guess, like adjust the gears on the mini, even teh N300s. 

For things like Gr3s etc, no tuning is great as the cars go well in stock configuration. 

With regards practice, given the range of experience with the game,  for some people having prior knowledge of what track is a god send as it lets you get vaguely competitive. For the no lifers (like me) I should just try and find meaning in my life outside and turn up on the night and bin it in turn 1. But yeah, I've already had enough practice in most cars/tracks. 

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to enforce a non-stock tune? That would seem ideal for things like the Minis.

2 minutes ago, morcs said:

Is it possible to enforce a non-stock tune? That would seem ideal for things like the Minis.

Yeah, this is something I was going to suggest.

So, a question I really should have asked last night- how does the "entry" thing work? I get that if I hit the track, i'm "entered" and locked into the setup, but if I click "cancel entry" can I then changes the setup and re-enter (if we're still in practice)?

I suppose one problem is, no matter how well you communicate it in advance, there will still be delays on the night because not everyone will have done it in advance. So there could be a lot of waiting around while people go through their menus.

Nature of the beast to some extent. I know last night, room 2 was running at a big delay compared to room 1. The session was close to 2 1/2 hours again, for about 60 minutes of actual racing. (This really isn't a criticism of anyone, just an observation about how hard it is to administer a session like this even when everyone knows one another and is cooperative!)

5 minutes ago, RFT said:

Yeah, this is something I was going to suggest.

So, a question I really should have asked last night- how does the "entry" thing work? I get that if I hit the track, i'm "entered" and locked into the setup, but if I click "cancel entry" can I then changes the setup and re-enter (if we're still in practice)?

Yes. I quit brands in the f1500 as it was being an arse with the goodwood tune. The reality of it was that the tune had sod all to do with it and I was spent during the first two races!

Ah, the growing pains of an online racing community. A lot of this sounds similar to considerations in the Forza days.

Let's do our best to find compromises that suit everyone as much as possible, hoping all (and more joining in) will keep enjoying the racing nights we have going! Really like the constructive suggestions here already.

So for now let's go with the idea of having one (or a few) race(s) with a set track, car class and the possibility to tune (not upgrade!). That way people with a bit more time on their hands can practice and refine their setups - also by sharing tips among ourselves.

Following that, we'll also do some open racing with improvised car (classes) and track votes - as we're used to for most of the time, actually :)

Starting with next week, we'll do an endurance race in Gr. 1's on Le Mans with tyres, fuel, BoP on and tuning allowed. After that, we'll move to the open racing bit.

Also, Noble has just made us Twitter famous(ish):

• Upvote 5

I’m not super fussed, but I think that a blanket tuning ban would the best way forward. I guess that the sensible starting point is that (I presume) everyone wants the racing to be as close as possible.

I had some good races at  Dragon Trail – Gardens last night in the Gr3 Mustang which probably isn't the best car for the circuit but has the best engine sound and a wide variety of V8 Supercar liveries to choose from which is why I use it. However the 90 degree right hander near the end of the track really shows where the penalty system is broken. Three times I saw a driver send it down the inside with no chance of making the corner but before hitting the fence they clipped the front bumper of the car in front who was taking the racing line and it was the car they clipped that got a 2 second penalty. . 

20 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Ah, the growing pains of an online racing community. A lot of this sounds similar to considerations in the Forza days.

Let's do our best to find compromises that suit everyone as much as possible, hoping all (and more joining in) will keep enjoying the racing nights we have going! Really like the constructive suggestions here already.

So for now let's go with the idea of having one (or a few) race(s) with a set track, car class and the possibility to tune (not upgrade!). That way people with a bit more time on their hands can practice and refine their setups - also by sharing tips among ourselves.

Following that, we'll also do some open racing with improvised car (classes) and track votes - as we're used to for most of the time, actually :)

Starting with next week, we'll do an endurance race in Gr. 1's on Le Mans with tyres, fuel, BoP on and tuning allowed. After that, we'll move to the open racing bit.

Also, Noble has just made us Twitter famous(ish):

Someone should tweet Noel Edmonds and let him know he’s famous now. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Someone should tweet Noel Edmonds and let him know he’s famous now. 

:lol:

My work is now complete.

44 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

@mexos have you got one of those skins for every car?

Not yet. Hold my beer.

The hard work was getting the face created in under 15kb as an SVG. Now it's in GT Sport making extra liveries using it relatively easy.

For LeMans, I have an idea of a special version of it. :eyebrows:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, marsh said:

Didn't Edmonds race at Le Mans.

Entered a hybrid panoz in 2000 (I think) but it didn't qualify. and I;m not sure he was driving.

49 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

so how many laps/fuel use/tyre wear etc? Gr1 cars yeah? 

Actually, I'm inclined to keep the lap count, fuel consumption and tyre wear undisclosed until Monday night. (As in, I haven't really decided on those yet, either.)

Little wrong with people practicing the track of course, in said Gr. 1 cars. But just to prevent anyone from running entire stint/race simulations on beforehand ;)

Also, BoP will be switched on.

Regarding tuning: we could allow it for this race, after which we could ban it for the other races this Monday night. Thoughts?

(And wow, this all really is close to taking over actual motorsports!)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Actually, I'm inclined to keep the lap count, fuel consumption and tyre wear undisclosed until Monday night. (As in, I haven't really decided on those yet, either.)

Little wrong with people practicing the track of course, in said Gr. 1 cars. But just to prevent anyone from running entire stint/race simulations on beforehand ;)

Regarding tuning: we could allow it for this race, after which we could ban it for the other races on Mondays. Thoughts?

Happy with all of these proposals.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Little wrong with people practicing the track of course, in said Gr. 1 cars.

It's a daily race this week, so I don't think you could really stop people :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marsh said:

Didn't Edmonds race at Le Mans.

As I recall he was doing some shit documentary where he was totally going to enter LeMAns.  In the end they just ended up piggybacking an existing SuperNova/Dave Price Panoz program which would have happened with or without him.  He didn't drive.

Neither car finished.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Regarding tuning: we could allow it for this race, after which we could ban it for the other races this Monday night. Thoughts?

Yeah that's fair! 

Ok Marsh. Race C. Let's go!

Have you ever watched the onboard of the La Sarthe lap record?

3:14:791 by Kobayashi in the #7 Toyota.

It's a thing to behold.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, marsh said:

3.26 :coffee:

Is that stock or with a setup? :unsure:

26 minutes ago, mexos said:

Is that stock or with a setup? :unsure:

Full upgrades in the 919 but the tinkering is locked. You can't change a thing (I think)? it's still a million miles off the pace of the top times and the Audi R18 is the car to use which I find completely impossible to drive. The track limit's are savage, I've been on for a 3.25 and over stepped the mark to get a half second penalty many times.

The lap record you really want to watch is this one:

I've loaded last nights epic mini race, my replay of the battle I had with Mr Noble is amazing. Sorry if this replay is a bit gimp centric, but it also demonstrates that he'd definately not done much to his mini as it towers over mine in most corners!

I totally forgive myself for being so crap at the f1500 watching that back.

• Upvote 5