rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8:00 PM UK forum races!

Just be aware that after you download that initial 42.99GB for the main game, you'll have about the same again in patches. My GTS folder is pushing 100GB.

• Upvote 1

I most certainly haven't just returned here after panic-clearing a few gigs of space on my PS4. Nope, not me :)

Presuming for multiplayer with you chaps I need to own what I race, so I need to get cracking on earning credits and buying cars?

1 minute ago, kiroquai said:

I most certainly haven't just returned here after panic-clearing a few gigs of space on my PS4. Nope, not me :)

Presuming for multiplayer with you chaps I need to own what I race, so I need to get cracking on earning credits and buying cars?

yeah. 

top tips for earning quick cash - do the circuit experience medals. 

there's also an event you can grind in the so called campaign that'll net you about 400k per race (Monza I think it is) if you don't hit anyone and can afford the Gr1 vision car in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Wicked :) cheers.

See you all out on track soon :ph34r:

AAAAAAAAWWWWWYEAH! 

Excellent news! 

Join a team and you'll get a GR3 and a GR4 for free.

Another good shortcut - download the Lewis Hamilton DLC and get the silver or gold (hard but doable) on those TTs and you get loads of cash. Other than that, circuit experience is a quick way to mine money. If you play a little each day you'll get a free car anyway, won't take you long to get something for everything. 

• Upvote 1

Chasing down Noble and Pimp last Monday night:

PS_Messages_20200603_012837.thumb.jpg.94f3f4464298e62a6e6c8b8e494506b7.jpg

18 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Great stuff, welcome to the club :D

When you go to Brand Central, pick your favourite brand and sign a 'Manufacturer Contract' to get their Gr. 4 and Gr. 3 cars. We race those often, including next Monday around Spa.

Additionally, I'd recommend you get these vehicles when you can afford them:

- Go-kart

- Mazda Roadster Touring Car

- Red Bull Junior

- Polyphony F1500 (classic F1 car)

- Any Gr. 2 car (check the Japanese makes)

See you online next Monday night :)

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, marsh said:

I'm 99% certain it was decided to do GR3's. Happy to run the second lobby in advance as I suspect we may be busy, I'll have the benny hill music ready in advance while I try and organise the correct settings......

Last nights racing was top draw, my excitement at trying to catch Gwidan and Scariley couldn't be tempered at that last race at Autopolis. Was right up their collective trumpets on the closing laps.

I had one of my rare quick races :)

Did a bit of practice last night for next Monday by running one of the preset Endurance races from campaign mode. 60 minutes against the AI at the Nordschleife in the 911 RSR.

I wasn't very good, but I learned a lot. Specifically, even though Medium tyres go off so much quicker than Hard, I still seem to be able to handle that car better on scrubbed Mediums than on similarly worn-out Hards.

Shame there isn't a preset race at Spa in that section of Campaign.

5 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Did a bit of practice last night for next Monday by running one of the preset Endurance races from campaign mode. 60 minutes against the AI at the Nordschleife in the 911 RSR.

I wasn't very good, but I learned a lot. Specifically, even though Medium tyres go off so much quicker than Hard, I still seem to be able to handle that car better on scrubbed Mediums than on similarly worn-out Hards.

Shame there isn't a preset race at Spa in that section of Campaign.

You can better practice the handling/tyre aspects by creating your own lobby set to 'Endurance'. You can make it private, set tyre wear/fuel etc. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Joe! I took a look at the GR4 and GR3 cars on offer and have a vague idea on which way I want to go :sherlock: - there is a boring but sensible option, or an exciting and somewhat sexy option.

• Upvote 1

I think the most important tip is go get some meme liveries ready. 

go to discover>liveries>search

Is there any way to see all liveries matching your search from all time, or do you really have to keep clicking "Older" over and again to see them a day at a time?

So I signed my manufacturer contract :eyebrows:

IMG_3697.thumb.JPG.88cb310a33f777687804b9e1f901f2e1.JPG

Came down to Ferrari or Porsche. Figured the Porsche 911 RSR would be an amazingly honed, neutral Group 3 car to begin with but... but... Porsche are a refined older man quietly sitting at a bar drinking an ale. Ferrari are a young guy doing his hair whilst skydiving. I went for the element of lunacy.

This choice proved prescient half-an-hour later when as a reward for getting all golds at the Brands Hatch circuit challenge I was awarded a 911 RSR anyway. Not tried it yet, but the Ferrari is pretty lovely if a little bit prone to stepping out on occasion.

• Upvote 5

So... umm.... I suck at GT Sport, and have basically only been playing on a wheel for a week or 2, and am still working full time, so only an hour or 2 each night...

I've also never (like actually never) played an online race.

Now that the excuses are made, how good is everyone?! :D

I ask this not because of a fear that I'll be miles behind everyone, I don't really care about that, but more because I'm not really consistent enough to keep the car on the track for an entire race, and don't want to be that a-hole that ruined everyone's race.

I think the answer is I'm not ready to go wheel to wheel with actual real people, but it'd be good to know what to prep for, and somehow benchmark myself.

Also, what lobby rules do you guys use?

I'm still racing with ABS on, and cones, but no other assists.  Would I need to be letting go of these safety blankets?

• Upvote 4

I'm consistently last on a Monday night, often by a wide margin (I'm often lapped in the longer races) and no one seems to mind so far. Just don't punt people and observe the blue flags.

What I recommend is add a load of folk from this thread to your PS4 friends list, then go to the daily races in Sport mode. There are three of them, each with a set track and car stipulation, and they change every Monday.

You don't have to actually enter the races, but if you go to qualifying you can pound around the circuit to your heart's content and it works like a friends-list time trial. You can go into the Rankings screen, see what car everyone else used and how your time compares to theirs.

I play with weak ABS and traction control usually on 1 or 2 depending on the car. No other helpers except the suggested gear indicator (which I don't think you can turn off). Track knowledge helps a lot and really only comes with repetition. I'm much less uncompetitive at Brands Hatch than I am at, like, Fisherman's Ranch or something.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Freeman said:

So... umm.... I suck at GT Sport, and have basically only been playing on a wheel for a week or 2, and am still working full time, so only an hour or 2 each night...

I've also never (like actually never) played an online race.

Now that the excuses are made, how good is everyone?! :D

I ask this not because of a fear that I'll be miles behind everyone, I don't really care about that, but more because I'm not really consistent enough to keep the car on the track for an entire race, and don't want to be that a-hole that ruined everyone's race.

I think the answer is I'm not ready to go wheel to wheel with actual real people, but it'd be good to know what to prep for, and somehow benchmark myself.

Also, what lobby rules do you guys use?

I'm still racing with ABS on, and cones, but no other assists.  Would I need to be letting go of these safety blankets?

First off, welcome! :)

Please don't hesitate to join our online races due to skill level. This varies a lot among our group of up to around 30 people who regularly come in to race.

As a general rule, we try to avoid unnecessary contact, leave enough space when battling for positions and when an accident does happen, apologise and when appropriate allow any victim to catch up again.

Most of us are on party chat while racing, both for banter and to give heads-up warnings when coming in hot.

Now, my answer would be that anyone is ready to go wheel to wheel with actual people. It's the most fun you can have when playing a racing game an you'll learn much more this way - both in terms of performance and maintaining safety.

As for lobby rules and assists: all assists are allowed in our lobbies, in fact most of us use ABS (often set to 'Weak'), both because most modern real-life (racing) cars have it switched on too and because most console-compatible pedals are flimsy and don't replicate real braking forces.

The same goes for traction control (or even stability management) on certain racing cars: feel free to try racing a Gr. 3 car with no traction control at all, but having it set to 1 or 2 only makes it more realistic ;)

With that out of the way, feel free to add some of us on PSN (I mostly host the first lobby, Joe_McSpeed) and join in the fun!

• Upvote 3

I think it’s fair to say the the group welcomes drivers with a wide range of skills! Don’t be too worried about tripping over people, just use a headset so that you can hear when people are going to pass you / let others know you that you’re passing them.

Edit: or what they said :D

• Upvote 4

I can only echo the above from my experience back in the old RLLMUK F1 days - it was a close-knit group who understood accidents do happen sometimes and were relaxed about it. It's a fun environment to race in and I'd agree that it's also probably the best way to get faster and more consistent too!

I didn't know about the online race qualifying acting as a friends leaderboard of sorts! Nifty. Everyone who hasn't already got me on PSN is free to add: username is the same as my forum name :)

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

What I recommend is add a load of folk from this thread to your PS4 friends list, then go to the daily races in Sport mode. There are three of them, each with a set track and car stipulation, and they change every Monday.

You don't have to actually enter the races, but if you go to qualifying you can pound around the circuit to your heart's content and it works like a friends-list time trial. You can go into the Rankings screen, see what car everyone else used and how your time compares to theirs.

I play with weak ABS and traction control usually on 1 or 2 depending on the car. No other helpers except the suggested gear indicator (which I don't think you can turn off). Track knowledge helps a lot and really only comes with repetition. I'm much less uncompetitive at Brands Hatch than I am at, like, Fisherman's Ranch or something.

This sounds like a great idea.  My track knowledge at the moment is more or less restricted to circuits I know a little bit, or the 3 I've chosen to practice on:

Spa - due to the current Mazda Vision online time trial.

Brands Hatch - due to enjoying it in the track learning mode, and practicing in whatever 

Red Bull Ring - due to practicing in the F1500T championship

I actually looked at the Sport races yesterday and did a bit of qualifying thinking I might even try a race, but it was a track I hadn't ever driven, so I did a few laps, then moved on.

I'm Corranga on PSN incidentally, I'll add some folk once I figure out how.

I'm sounding like a proper n00b here, I do play games, honest!  I just haven't enjoyed online gaming for years due to shouty Americans in first person shooters so don't bother much.  I have 1 friend on my PSN list, who doesn't have a + membership nowadays.

Next stupid question... If I do feel up to it, how does one connect a headset (I usually use a wired headphones with mic from a mobile type thing) to the Playstation when using a wheel that doesn't have a socket? 

Can I simultaneously use a controller as I usually would for the headset, and the wheel, or do I need to buy a bluetooth job?

6 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Next stupid question... If I do feel up to it, how does one connect a headset (I usually use a wired headphones with mic from a mobile type thing) to the Playstation when using a wheel that doesn't have a socket? 

Can I simultaneously use a controller as I usually would for the headset, and the wheel, or do I need to buy a bluetooth job?

You can sign into one PS4 profile on as many controllers as you like simultaneously, so there's nothing to stop you driving with your wheel while chatting using a wired headset plugged into your Dualshock 4.

Just make sure that the DS4 doesn't go into standby as this will mess with your racing. Plug it in with a USB cable is one way, or do the between-races stuff with the pad to keep it alive.

Iphone headsets don't work with the DS4, Android headsets should. They use different standards for connecting up the mic and ground wires in the TRRS plug.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I'm Corranga on PSN incidentally, I'll add some folk once I figure out how.

I'm sounding like a proper n00b here, I do play games, honest!  I just haven't enjoyed online gaming for years due to shouty Americans in first person shooters so don't bother much.  I have 1 friend on my PSN list, who doesn't have a + membership nowadays.

Excellent, just added you on PSN :)

We've scheduled an endurance Gr. 3 race around Spa for this Monday, so given that you're already practicing that, I'd say it's the perfect opportunity to hop online with us.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Excellent, just added you on PSN :)

We've scheduled an endurance Gr. 3 race around Spa for this Monday, so given that you're already practicing that, I'd say it's the perfect opportunity to hop online with us.

That sounds like fun, I might have to dust off GT Sport again. How long is the race going to be and what tyre/fuel wear?

Just now, scoobysi said:

That sounds like fun, I might have to dust off GT Sport again. How long is the race going to be and what tyre/fuel wear?

Would be great to have you back on it Scoobs!

Race length will be 90 minutes. We're keeping tyre and fuel wear under the wraps yet, to prevent the more 'committed' players to run race simulations (which they will do when given the opportunity).

[Meerman]

You call 90 minutes endurance? In my day we used to run races of 25 hours per day with no driver swaps and only gin and cigarrettes on offer during pitstops. Never did me any harm :blah:

[/Meerman]

• Upvote 2

:lol:

That does make me wonder about the longest races we ever did back in the Forza days on Xbox 360. We did have some more organised competitions with the Beetle, Cupra, Clio V6 and Exige cups, but AFAICR those were mostly collections of sprint races.

That said, I do remember the rllmuk Historic Trophy hosted by @RFT which had us do longer races around Road America, Mugello, Sonoma and the legendary Maple Valley.

Also, I did partake in a 24 hour endurance sim race once, in GT6 at the actual Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps during the real 24H race there. Only spent two stints of around 30-45 mins behind the wheel though, as my three teammates were pro class sim racers and out to beat a rival team of actual race car drivers :ph34r:  (Which 'we' managed to do!)