IGNORED

Ozark - Jason Bateman, Laura Linney

Goose

Comes to Netflix on July 21st. 

A 10 part thriller-drama about a family involved in laundering drug money, who find themselves forced to start a new life - which might end up being more dangerous than the one they ran from.

Bateman, who also serves as an executive producer and director on Ozark, stars as Marty Byrde with Linney playing his wife, Wendy. Marty is a Chicago financial advisor who has been quietly laundering money for a drug kingpin, must quickly uproot his kids and move the operation to The Ozarks, after his partner is caught cheating the business. There, he bumps heads with both a local drug dealer whose business he inadvertently interrupts, and a clan of ruffians, led by their 19-year-old niece, who want his money, all the while avoiding the eye of a tenacious FBI agent. He must complete his laundering, to save the life of his family, as they struggle to find their own path in this seemingly foreign way of life.

This dark drama, which also stars Esai Morales (Chicago P.D., NYPD Blue), Julia Garner (The Americans, We Are What We Are), Marc Menchaca (Homeland, Generation Kill), Jason Butler Harner (Ray Donovan, Alcatraz) and Harris Yulin (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, 24), explores capitalism, family dynamics and survival through the eyes of (anything but) ordinary Americans.

Bateman, who previously helmed the feature films Bad Words and The Family Fang, himself directed the Ozark pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first episode and I'm in. It scratches that post BB/Saul/Narcos itch for me. I like Bateman and Linney - don't know the actor but I thought the drug lord was satisfactorily menacing too. Tense scenes ahead no doubt. 

Really, really enjoying this, 7 down over sat & Sunday night. 3 to go. Can't wait to get back to it but at the same time don't really want it to be over with.

It's got a bit of a Justified/BB feel to it for me.

Also really like the very brief opening titles, which are something I've not seen before (just a graphic really but different every episode).

Quite surprised this thread hasn't got more action, cos this is fucking great TV.

20 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Yeah.  Although it took me about 2 episodes to accept this wasn't a comedy as I'd never seen him in anything else.

The other dramatic role I have seen him in was The Gift. Which was a pretty decent thriller. 

19 hours ago, deerokus said:

The other dramatic role I have seen him in was The Gift. Which was a pretty decent thriller. 

I got the impression from the little I've seen so far that this is going to have a lot of black deadpan humour like Breaking Bad, rather than being an out and out straight drama. But yes, much more serious than his usual stuff.

21 hours ago, deerokus said:

Also confirming The Gift as decent; the movie that marked Jason Bateman as a decent actor in my book. He doesn't seem too dissimilar in Ozark actually, I think he's found his character type now he's reduced the comedy level a bit.

Really enjoyed this series. Bateman's very good (pretty much his defacto character but more interesting in this), the family are all interesting and not prop characters and I love the Langmores. The slight jumping around in chronology works well too, when often it doesn't. I like the Snells as well but Jacob feels a bit too put on at the moment.

On 27/07/2017 at 22:28, Triple A said:

Also confirming The Gift as decent; the movie that marked Jason Bateman as a decent actor in my book. He doesn't seem too dissimilar in Ozark actually, I think he's found his character type now he's reduced the comedy level a bit.

He's also great in Disconnect. I've never seen more than a few seconds of Arrested Development so don't associate him with comedy, to me in the few film roles (Juno too) i've seen him in there's always a cold detached quality to him, I've always found him unlikeable. A depressive contemplative manner to him. Does he generally play straight and blunt/sarcastic in comedy? In films he speaks like he has no time for people, isn't charismatic, is lacking in any warmth. Just me ?

Only seen the first episode, it's fantastic. Breaking Bad like, but also it reminds me of House of Cards in its cinematography and weight it carries into every scene, no shot is wasted. 

I watched the first 2 and didn't really grab me at all - has exactly the same issue I had with BB (and many other shows), how can you generate genuine peril or suspense with a show with only a couple of main characters, you know nothing is gojng to happen to them, it can't.

Seems pretty generic so far, but will give it another ep or 2.

I'm not sure peril is all that necessary all the time. And besides I think there is some..

Spoiler

The peril here might not be about the death of characters but rather the death of what they might hold dear. Their "lives" are lost if not their actual lives.

I loved almost all of this.

Only episode 8 (or was it 9)...

Spoiler

The flash back episode felt unnecessary to me and in fact led to me not finishing the show for a few days as it took the wind out of the sails for me.

Up to episode 3 also and really enjoying it.  Felt a little to much of a BB rip off to begin with but characters, pacing and setting are different enough for that concern to have dissipated.  Bateman is totally channeling his character in Arrested Development: super deadpan and dry.  His wife and daughter are on a similar level, however, so he's not the only smart guy in the room in this.

Also, agree that The Gift is a decent little thriller too.

On 7/30/2017 at 06:52, Gotters said:

I watched the first 2 and didn't really grab me at all - has exactly the same issue I had with BB (and many other shows), how can you generate genuine peril or suspense with a show with only a couple of main characters, you know nothing is gojng to happen to them, it can't.

Seems pretty generic so far, but will give it another ep or 2.

Expecting any more drama than we got in the first two episodes is a bit much. It's world building, and drawing interest. I don't want people killed just as I'm finding out who they are!

That said, this is great. It looks great and has solid internal logic. Just when you think a character is going to act in a stupid, clichéd way, they subvert it and have the behaviour make actual sense.